WTH I'm not German??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTH I'm not German??

My FTDNA test results say I originate from the British Isles (83%) Eastern Europe (11%) and 6% other.

I have church records from the LDS that prove my German "Stroebele" ancestors lived in southern Baden-Wurttemberg beginning around the year 1700.

My father's grandmother was from Ireland and my mother's G-G grandmother was from Ireland also.

My question- Is the DNA test comparing me with only those who also took the FTDNA test, or is the test telling me that my genetic background originated from the British Isles?

How does one explain my Stroebele lineage back to 1700 in southern Germany? Does this mean I am not German (lol)?

Thanks,
    Dave
    New Jersey

Originally posted by 322959 View Post
    How does one explain my Stroebele lineage back to 1700 in southern Germany? Does this mean I am not German (lol)?

Thanks,
    Dave
    New Jersey
    Hi Dave,

I presume you are talking about your paternal line. Can you say when that line arrived in the New World (assuming that you live in the USA).

Thanks,

Jack

Comment

Yes, my paternal line, "Stroebele" lived in Rosna, Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany beginning around 1700. My great-uncle, Otto Stroebele (1843-1924) beat my great-grandfather to the US when he arrived in 1866. My great-grandfather John Stroebele arrived 1882.

Thanks for asking,

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by 322959 View Post
        My question- Is the DNA test comparing me with only those who also took the FTDNA test, or is the test telling me that my genetic background originated from the British Isles?

Dave, the FTDNA Learning Center has a white paper for their myOrigins Methodology. Take a look at section 4, and the rest about reference populations. FTDNA doesn't use your matches to compare to you to predict your ethnic makeup.

Your results, like all the companies who do ethnicity estimates for autosomal DNA tests, are to be taken with a large grain of salt. The populations of Europe having been traveling and mixing for a long time. Do not give up your lederhosen! Others can explain any movements from the area now known as Germany to the British Isles. It is possible that you might have an ancestor from the time before written records who was "German" of some sort and traveled to the British Isles.

You may want to get a free account at GedMatch.com, and try using some of their ethnicity estimators there; the Eurogenes K13 and others may give a different estimate for you.

Comment

I am mostly German, but my myOrigins show mostly British Isles.

Yes, take my Origins with a huge grain of salt. You have to remember, the testing is only as good as the population samples from each region of the world. That... and the fact that Europeans were often migrating back and forth, thus their lineages were often a mix of the areas that represent today's countries. No... it does not mean you are not German.

Comment

I would ignore MyOrigins and go with what you know from your research. That, is unless the rest of your DNA test results indicate misattributed parentage.

My mother is 75% Western Europe, from what I know about her ancestry, but MyOrigins gives her zero. It gives her 72% British Isles. Think of the German tribes, Angles and Saxons, who settled a large part of England. And then, Germany was largely depopulated after the 30 Years War and invited people from other countries to come in and settle. So what exactly is "German" as an ethnic group? Now "German" as a nationality is quite a different matter, a matter of allegiance to a particular nation and culture (sometimes forced allegiance).

Ancestry is giving my mother 17% Irish. Although she has no proven Irish ancestors, she has quite a number of atDNA matches who live in Ireland, so I'm wondering if one or more of the "unknowns" in her tree was Irish. 17% would still be too high.

Comment

Stroebele from Rosna

No way!!! As soon as I've read the name "Stroebele" I was sure you were talking about the region where I'm from. And now, Rosna? How cool is that!!! My paternal grandmother's paternal family is from Mengen/Ennetach/Blochingen/Scheer and my family still lives in Mengen.

I also do have 40% British Isles. I expected for a long time that my paternal grandfather's father to be British/Scottish, but I also somehow thought about the Celtic tribes that lived in Southern Germany that might have had a similar DNA mixture like the people from Great Britain. So this might be a reason for our strange DNA admixtures.
              FtDNA will come up with many more myOrigins populations soon, at least that's what I understood from their latest announcement.

Comment

Working...
              X