X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stevo
    replied
    Originally posted by Noaide
    Yes there is, the documentation only exist in Norwegian.

The book name is "Norsk Innvandringshistorie" in three books by Niemi, Opshal and Tjelmeland, 2003, ISBN: 82-530-2541-6.

The books describe the history of imigration from 900 AC to present day.

Noaide
    Perhaps you could translate some of the relevant passages into English for us.

Frankly, I don't buy it.

All of Europe was devastated by the Black Death during the 14th century. People were not migrating in large numbers, and especially not northwards. Estimates of loss of life range from a low of 25% to highs of 33 to 50%.

Norway is known for sending immigrants south and west, not as a destination for people from other lands (not prior to the 20th century, anyway).

People from villages practically annihilated by the bubonic plague did not wake up one day and say, "I think I'll move to Norway!"

There is a difference between the presence of a few merchants in some port cities and an immigration massive enough to significantly alter a nation's genetic make-up.
    Last edited by Stevo; 23 May 2006, 10:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Noaide
    replied
    Yes there is, the documentation only exist in Norwegian.

The book name is "Norsk Innvandringshistorie" in three books by Niemi, Opshal and Tjelmeland, 2003, ISBN: 82-530-2541-6.

The books describe the history of imigration from 900 AC to present day.

Noaide

Originally posted by Stevo
    Is there any documentation to support that assertion?

I am wondering where this alleged "huge migration wave from continental europe" could have come from, since all of Europe experienced tremendous loss of life during the Black Death of the 14th century.

There have been different kinds of people in Scandinavia since prehistoric times.

I don't believe there ever has been a "huge migration wave" into Norway during the historical period.

Folks leaving Norway, yes. Moving in, not much.

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    replied
    Originally posted by Noaide

After the black death there was a huge migration wave from continental europe to especially south Norway. These people concentrated mostly in the city and ports areas and there was wide trade contacts with the continent.

Noaide
    Is there any documentation to support that assertion?

I am wondering where this alleged "huge migration wave from continental europe" could have come from, since all of Europe experienced tremendous loss of life during the Black Death of the 14th century.

There have been different kinds of people in Scandinavia since prehistoric times.

I don't believe there ever has been a "huge migration wave" into Norway during the historical period.

Folks leaving Norway, yes. Moving in, not much.
    Last edited by Stevo; 23 May 2006, 10:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Noaide
    replied
    Yes, they will ad it this early summer as I understand.

Originally posted by taba2much
    I do not believe that DnaTribes has added Sweden yet, the have Norway, but not sweden, they told me it would be in the spring,?

Leave a comment:

• taba2much
    replied
    Sweden

I do not believe that DnaTribes has added Sweden yet, the have Norway, but not sweden, they told me it would be in the spring,?

Leave a comment:

• Noaide
    replied
    Taba2Much

I dont know from where in Norway your from but if they sampled much of the rural areas or much of the city ares it is possible their result would be messed up if you come from the bigger cities or ports or from rural areas.

After the black death there was a huge migration wave from continental europe to especially south Norway. These people concentrated mostly in the city and ports areas and there was wide trade contacts with the continent.

Also worth noting that if the Norwegian migrated into Scandinavia as late as 600 AC they may have come with all kind of "stuff" genetically from the continent.

So your result may not be so wrong after all.

What was your hit at the top 10?

Noaide

Leave a comment:

• Noaide
    replied
    Finns added

Mari,

Maybe DNATribes is something for you? They recently added Finland, Sweden and Norway. They also want to add Saami samples but so far they have not managed to get the data, but want to do that in the future. How lang that would be I dont know, but possibly you could get a good match with the Finns.

Noaide

Leave a comment:

• taba2much
    replied
    took the test

well I just took the Y-snp test from DNAHeritage.com hopes this tells me more,
    BUT, I think I may have messed it up, it comes with 3 swabs and I laided one down on the mailing evelope that came with it for a minute, does anyone think I messed up my test, will somebodys dna show up instead of mine, it was pretty clean

Leave a comment:

• lgmayka
    replied
    Originally posted by taba2much
    its usless for me to take any dna test if all Im going to get is 50 percent,, the y-dna and the mtdna only cover 50 percent at best, the other 50 percent don't show up, so Im left with these other tests
    This is how I look at it:

1) The Y chromosome is handed down from father to son, without change (except for rare mutations). It is important to me to know where my Y chromosome has been, because it is a record of my forefathers' wanderings, from Noah down to me.

2) The mitochondrial DNA is handed down from mother to children, again without change (except for rare mutations). The travels of this mtDNA are also important to me, because they record my foremothers' progress, from Eve down to me.

3) Autosomal DNA is interesting, but since it is shuffled with every generation, it tells me very little.

Leave a comment:

• mari
    replied
    Dont give up, please. Your frustration is understandable. But all of this takes time and a little "foot" work of our own. At least when results come back we have a better idea in which area to look for more answers, and new questions to come up with. The further we go, the more the total picture evolves. And with so many people now getting into the testing from all over the world, the clearer the picture gets. There are so many people who know more history, who understand the results of these test and are willing to share information to help others. Plus, I take it you are male, you hold both your moms mtdna and your dads ydna. Us women only hold our moms. You are that much more ahead with actual information floating around in you than we are. Please dont give up try one more test, ydna & mtdna, you might find your results more understandable and with more people to connect to.
    mari

Leave a comment:

• taba2much
    replied
    one of the problems with the dna test is that Ive notice (this is just my opinion for what its worth, not much) take their dna test and they give you a pretty report with the top 10 population matches, think of it, what the heck good is that, and when I ask them (repeatly) what the rest of the matches are, they hedge, spin,,,,,really for a researcher it useless information, if thats all I wanted to know was the top 10 matchs, what good is it, and kinda its like the rest of this DNA testing stuff,,, on the best day, after all the research, at its max the best is only 50 percent, people who take these test and all their research could be so far off base,, Im related to this king or that family, when in fact they are not,,,unless people have family to test, which I don't, its nothing but a shot in the dark and a best guess thing,,,,,,all my family are dead,,, its usless for me to take any dna test if all Im going to get is 50 percent,, the y-dna and the mtdna only cover 50 percent at best, the other 50 percent don't show up, so Im left with these other tests,,,,before I spend anymore of my money on these test they are going to have to come up with better test to cover 100 percent of the dna or Im just going to hang it up on dna testing. its just not worth it

Leave a comment:

• josh w.
    replied
    There is another problem with dnatribes data. Although they have two samples from Norway, Scandinavia is not well represented in their database.(To some degree this is also true of the British Isles). This should result in fewer Scandinavian matches. This problem should vastly improve since they are continuously adding samples.

Leave a comment:

• josh w.
    replied
    There are methodological problems with dnatribes as there are with all autosomal tests. In dnatribes' case they rely on the modal haplotype of a particular group and ignore other information. The problem with modes is that they may not be that representative of the total population. There may be other common but non-modal patterns that might not be considered. This could have been the fate of Norwegian R1as.. Dnatribes compares one's profile with a group average. On the other hand, Ftdna uses a preferred strategy of looking at much more information and compares one's profile with other individual profiles.

Leave a comment:

• lgmayka
    replied
    I don't fully understand. I think you're saying that your actual ancestry, as far as you know, is Norwegian; but DNAtribes.com gave you results pointing to India and Africa. Is that right?

First, I should say that few of us in this forum are experts in that kind of testing. It uses autosomal DNA, the kind that gets shuffled with every generation. Most of us are more familiar with Y chromosome testing (because the Y chromosome is passed down from father to son almost without change) and mitochondrial DNA testing (because mitochondrial DNA is passed down from mother to children almost without change).

But so, if I were to translate your results into yDNA terms, it sounds as if your results are a combination of R1a (often associated with the ancient Proto-Indo-Europeans) and E3b (often associated with northwest Africa).

Here is a world map of haplogroups:

http://www.scs.uiuc.edu/~mcdonald/Wo...groupsMaps.pdf

As you can see, R1a is indeed common in Norway. In fact, R1a is more common in Norway than in any other Scandinavian or western European country. It is very common, however, among Slavs.

The map shows that E3b is rare in Norway. However, notice that E3b forms a significant sliver of the population of Russia; and Russia is also a hotbed of R1a.

So if I were to make an absolutely wild guess, I would suggest that your ancestors may have been northern Russians that were enslaved and brought to Norway by the Vikings (who were indeed prone to doing just such things).

Frankly, though, most of those in this forum put much less stock in DNAtribes' kind of testing than in yDNA and mtDNA testing. Again, the latter two kinds of tests are much better grounded scientifically.

I'm sorry if you feel that you wasted your money, though. If you or a family member are still interested in genetic genealogy, I suggest that you try the other testing types. You can order from Family Tree DNA (but pre-join a group to get the best price), or join the Genographic Project at National Geographic:

https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/...rticipate.html

Leave a comment:

• taba2much
    started a topic dnatribes dna tests??????????

dnatribes dna tests??????????

dnatribes just recently post their profile with their many different places, just remember they only post top 10 matches, I had to repeatly email them for my "Norway" results (Im Norwegian) and they just did not want to gave up that information and after a couple of email they told me that "Norwegian" was 28th on my list.
    So "Buyer Beware"
    dnatribes tells me Im Norwegian,,,,,,, as I see it, according to their dnatribes dna test, Im not and they still have not told me the results, time for me to move on to another company. and the Picture they paint, it just don't add up,,, can't tell me, Im Norwegian with a score of 47 for Europe and a score of over 800 for India and 38 for latin American, and about 800 for africa, but from their point of view, Im European,,,,go figure
    and if Nowegian is 28 ( which is not the score)on the list, according to their rules, that Nothing
    Buyer Beware.
    if ya looking for a DNA testing company get one that will provide you with "ALL" the information, not just the ones "THEY" want to sell you, research first and save your money.
    the 10th nation on the list had a score of 12, so figure Norwegian which is number 28 on the list, what score is that (2 maybe), pretty low,
Working...
X