FTDNA Front Page News: 66 Markers & 3rd Annual Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTDNA Front Page News: 66 Markers & 3rd Annual Conference

A few people mentioned that FTDNA suddenly increased the Y-markers from 59 to 66, so I checked FTDNA's homepage and of course it's front page news The 2006 conference has been announced as well:

05/19/06 - Family Tree DNA announces the 3rd International Conference on Genetic Genealogy. See the press-release for information.
    http://www.familytreedna.com/conference_pr06.html

05/19/06 - Family Tree DNA launches the world's tightest test for genealogy purposes coupled with Haplogroup prediction: the Y-DNA 66-marker test!
    http://www.familytreedna.com/tutorial_A.html#66markers

Elise

I never thought I would see more than 48 markers being tested. Does it really help that much?

Comment

The conference

The conference is for project managers only

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Denning
        The conference is for project managers only

Oh really?...

Comment

Originally posted by M.O'Connor
          Oh really?...

yeah

HOUSTON, May, 19 (For Immediate Release) - Family Tree DNA, the world leader in the field of genetic genealogy, is pleased to announce our 3rd International Conference on Genetic Genealogy for Surname Project Administrators.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Denning
            yeah

HOUSTON, May, 19 (For Immediate Release) - Family Tree DNA, the world leader in the field of genetic genealogy, is pleased to announce our 3rd International Conference on Genetic Genealogy for Surname Project Administrators.

wanna be a co-admin on a project or two with me

Comment

how difficult is it to add content to a project?..do you need html knowledge?

I'm sure lots of people would get involved in running projects if it were simple.
              How does one get a handle on runnung a project and adding content?

Comment

Originally posted by M.O'Connor
                how difficult is it to add content to a project?..do you need html knowledge?

I'm sure lots of people would get involved in running projects if it were simple.
                How does one get a handle on runnung a project and adding content?

mr. M.

i am sure you have noticed exactly what i need someone who can type!

i need to update the status of my projects time is a comodity i am running out of

Comment

M -

The complexity of running a project greatly depends on the type, size and goal of the project, as well as how active the project manager chooses to be.

Setting up a website is just one part of the project administration. FTDNA provides a website template, for all projects, that is very easy to configure -- the project admin just has to fill in the details of the project, such as the surnames included in the project, the description, goals & narrative results, check a few boxes to specify what should or shouldn't be incuded on the page, click Save and the HTML is done automatically for them (the results grid is automatically inserted too). In addition, if the project admin does know HTML, s/he can customize the FTDNA-provided website a little bit. There are also many web-savvy admins who set up their own websites instead of, or in addition to, the FTDNA-provded website.

As far as how active the project admin is, I've seen them run the gamut from having no website and communicating very seldomly with their project members to having full-blown websites chock full of information, communicating with their members on a regular basis and being very active in the genetic genealogy community.

Anyone considering starting a project should consider what type of project they want to start (surname or geographical), what the goals of the project would be, how they would recruit members and how involved they're willing to be as the admin. I'm sure there are other considerations, but these are the major ones.

These are my two projects:

Palevsky Surname DNA Project - Most people with the Palevsky surname and variants come from the Kobrin region of southwestern Belarus. It has always been assumed that all the Palevsky families are related, but several people have made attempts (over the last 30-40 years) at finding paper trails with little success due to the difficulties of locating and obtaining records in Belarus. So I started a website about six months ago to document all the unlinked Palevsky families that I could find (about 30 so far), in hope that having the information publicly available would help yield new information (the compiled data has mostly been in people's private files until now). Shortly after starting the website, I remembered hearing about FTDNA and after looking into it again, started asking some of the men if they would participate. Got a positive response and so my DNA project was born

http://www.research.palevsky.net
                  http://www.ftdna.com/public/Palevsky

Jewish Belarus DNA Project - Jewish families in Eastern Europe tended to be very intertwined, plus many adopted surnames very late (early-mid 1800s), so it makes sense to do genetic testing of all different families from the same region and see who ends up being related My main interest is in the Kobrin region where my Palevsky family was from, but there are many nearby areas that we'd likely find connections in, so rather than struggle with defining the boundaries of a small geographical region, I decide to include the entire country. I just started this project, so we'll see how it goes!

http://www.ftdna.com/public/JewishBelarus

Elise

Comment

Originally posted by efriedman
                    M -

The complexity of running a project greatly depends on the type, size and goal of the project, as well as how active the project manager chooses to be.

Setting up a website is just one part of the project administration. FTDNA provides a website template, for all projects, that is very easy to configure -- the project admin just has to fill in the details of the project, such as the surnames included in the project, the description, goals & narrative results, check a few boxes to specify what should or shouldn't be incuded on the page, click Save and the HTML is done automatically for them (the results grid is automatically inserted too). In addition, if the project admin does know HTML, s/he can customize the FTDNA-provided website a little bit. There are also many web-savvy admins who set up their own websites instead of, or in addition to, the FTDNA-provded website.

As far as how active the project admin is, I've seen them run the gamut from having no website and communicating very seldomly with their project members to having full-blown websites chock full of information, communicating with their members on a regular basis and being very active in the genetic genealogy community.

Anyone considering starting a project should consider what type of project they want to start (surname or geographical), what the goals of the project would be, how they would recruit members and how involved they're willing to be as the admin. I'm sure there are other considerations, but these are the major ones.

These are my two projects:

Palevsky Surname DNA Project - Most people with the Palevsky surname and variants come from the Kobrin region of southwestern Belarus. It has always been assumed that all the Palevsky families are related, but several people have made attempts (over the last 30-40 years) at finding paper trails with little success due to the difficulties of locating and obtaining records in Belarus. So I started a website about six months ago to document all the unlinked Palevsky families that I could find (about 30 so far), in hope that having the information publicly available would help yield new information (the compiled data has mostly been in people's private files until now). Shortly after starting the website, I remembered hearing about FTDNA and after looking into it again, started asking some of the men if they would participate. Got a positive response and so my DNA project was born

http://www.research.palevsky.net
                    http://www.ftdna.com/public/Palevsky

Jewish Belarus DNA Project - Jewish families in Eastern Europe tended to be very intertwined, plus many adopted surnames very late (early-mid 1800s), so it makes sense to do genetic testing of all different families from the same region and see who ends up being related My main interest is in the Kobrin region where my Palevsky family was from, but there are many nearby areas that we'd likely find connections in, so rather than struggle with defining the boundaries of a small geographical region, I decide to include the entire country. I just started this project, so we'll see how it goes!

http://www.ftdna.com/public/JewishBelarus

Elise
                    lol i dont make special website i use ftdnas
                    even though i know how to do web siteshere is what i have done
                    i tested me got my ydna and my moms mtdna
                    i tested my maternal grandmoms neices stevens mtdna we matched
                    everyone did what they said they did
                    i tested my son wifes off the hook
                    i have her mtdna thru jr.
                    i just tested my grand son he should match my sons mtdna because itwas his sisters boy
                    i tested my paternal grand moms neice robertie she has my grand mom heslin mtdna

now i run 10 projects
                    4 surnames all basicly around longford cavan area of ireland then i am doing that area .i know tons of people from there came to chelsea ma. all my dennings 3500 of them. so i am doing chelsea,revere and winthrop ma.. my wife is from brighton ma but four sq blocks of brighton came straight from san danato frosine italy
                    so i am doing frosinone and brighton /newton.also after the chelsea fire in1909 many irish and Jews left chelsea and came to brookline /newton. many families in both towns will connect
                    i asked the cavan list where people went so i did Parramatta.SydneyAu Project and HannibalMO/QuincyIL Project

so the picture is migration and mtdna is a large part of it.

i wanted to do Ontario maybe next time i'll do that

I run a website called MAChelseaFamilyGroupDatabase I do the genealogy of
                    chelsea revere and winthrop ma. and all dennings cogans and devers .and a bunch of other names
                    see what i have and most dont is the whole lines of female sucession in this three town area for 100,000+ people.once i get mtdna and ydna into lines lol the skys the limit for these three towns

Comment

Working...
                    X