• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stevo
    R1b-FGC36981
    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Lost-Sheep
    $79.00

I hope that it tells me something that I do not already know...

When I originally got involved in my own Y-DNA analysis, I was really hoping to discover a point of contact or a lead towards identifying my immigrant ancestor (to the USA) and possibly a little bit more about the origin of my surname.

So far, the only direct matches I have encountered that share my surname are all distant cousins who descend from various sons of my great-great-great grandfather who was born in Virginia (USA) in 1776.

I was hoping to match some same-surname participants who still resided in the United Kingdom, but so far there are no non-American participants that share my surname who have had their Y-DNA tested...<sigh> I have advertised on various surname messageboards to no avail even offering to pay!

Where are they and why don't they participate?

So I wait...and wait...
    Deja vu!

That sounds a lot like my situation: no matches with others of my surname or its variants.

So now I find my interest in deep ancestry kindled. I am intrigued by the latest R1b research and the possibility of narrowing things down to a specific geographic region or ethnic group.

So I too will plop down the $79 (probably on payday) and get the deep SNP thingee done.

In the meantime, if FTDNA can recruit more Europeans for DNA testing, perhaps the matches will come rolling in, as well.

Comment

• Stevo
      R1b-FGC36981
      • Apr 2006

My first 25 markers have magically appeared here in connection with the R1b Project.

Can anyone explain to me why I am listed there and on the FTDNA R1b Project Y-Results page as R1 and not R1b1? I am listed first (surname Stevens).

FTDNA predicts that I am R1b1, and I square pretty closely with R1b-Frisian on Nordtvedt's table of R1b modal haplotypes. R1b-Norwegian comes in a close second. I am nowhere near the AMH, however.

Do the folks at the R1b Project think there is a chance I am R1a or something?

Comment

• DMac
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Stevo
        Do the folks at the R1b Project think there is a chance I am R1a or something?

It appears as if they're not sure, yes.

Comment

• Stevo
          R1b-FGC36981
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by DMac
          It appears as if they're not sure, yes.

Guess I really will have to get the deep SNP thing done.

Comment

• lgmayka
            FTDNA Customer
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Stevo
            My first 25 markers have magically appeared here in connection with the R1b Project.
            Does anyone know whether that Web site will work with any other projects--e.g., the Polish Project? The URL you give has a magic code, the 'kits=D6353' which apparently refers to the R1b Project. I wonder how I would find out the equivalent code for the Polish Project.

Unfortunately, the Polish Project doesn't have its own Web site.

Comment

• M.O'Connor
              FTDNA Customer
              • Oct 2005

I'd guess the Polish Project is closed to the public.
              I think you have to click on the " Contact the Polish Group Administrator " link and send an email.

Comment

• efgen
                Webinar Coordinator
                • Dec 2005

Every project has a kit number that identifies it. So you can put any kit number in the URL and get the chart for that project. However, I don't know of any way to identify the kit number for a project that doesn't have a public FTDNA webpage, without asking the administrator.

Comment

• Stevo
                  R1b-FGC36981
                  • Apr 2006

At the risk of sounding stupid (a constant danger for me), how does one contact the administrator of the R1b Project? I did not see his email on any of the project pages. Maybe I missed it.

I want to ask him about listing me as R1 instead of R1b1.

Comment

• Rick
                    • Apr 2003

Stevo, My understanding is that the R1b project admin can't change the designation (i.e., R1, R1b, R1b1, etc) on the project page. The website is FTDNA-hosted, and all the data in the table are provided and uploaded directly by FTDNA. It is curious though that FTDNA predicted you R1b, but are only listing R1 on the project page; a similar thing happened to me - they predicted R1b1 on my personal page, but listed me as unknown or not-predicted on the R1b project page (since confirmed R1b1c by deep SNP test).

The R1b project admin is Charles Kerchner. You're right, there is no contact link on the R1b page, but I did find a link to his email on his website -

Cheers,
                    Rick

Comment

• DMac
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Rick
                      Stevo, My understanding is that the R1b project admin can't change the designation (i.e., R1, R1b, R1b1, etc) on the project page. The website is FTDNA-hosted, and all the data in the table are provided and uploaded directly by FTDNA. It is curious though that FTDNA predicted you R1b, but are only listing R1 on the project page; a similar thing happened to me - they predicted R1b1 on my personal page, but listed me as unknown or not-predicted on the R1b project page (since confirmed R1b1c by deep SNP test).

The R1b project admin is Charles Kerchner. You're right, there is no contact link on the R1b page, but I did find a link to his email on his website -

Cheers,
                      Rick
                      Rick,

The R1b table Stevo referred to is not hosted on FTDNA. They're being hosted on a 'dnautils.org' server.

Comment

• efgen
                        Webinar Coordinator
                        • Dec 2005

Rick,
                        The R1b table Stevo referred to is not hosted on FTDNA. They're being hosted on a 'dnautils.org' server.
                        The data is still being obtained directly from the FTDNA database. The script on the dnautils.org site is just analyzing the R1b project data and presenting it in a customized chart.

Comment

• DMac
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by efriedman
                          The data is still being obtained directly from the FTDNA database. The script on the dnautils.org site is just analyzing the R1b project data and presenting it in a customized chart.
                          Yep, appears you are correct.

Stevo, do I remember correctly that FTDNA shows R1b on your personal page?

I found the FTDNA page for the R1b project and they indicate R1 for you. Weird.
                          FTDNA R1b Study

Comment

• Stevo
                            R1b-FGC36981
                            • Apr 2006

Yep, appears you are correct.

Stevo, do I remember correctly that FTDNA shows R1b on your personal page?

I found the FTDNA page for the R1b project and they indicate R1 for you. Weird.
                            FTDNA R1b Study
                            Yeah, it is strange. My FTDNA personal page says confidently, "R1b1," and YSEARCH has me listed as R1b1.

Yet the R1b Project has me listed as R1.

I am also a member of the Steffen Project (a project separate from Stevens/Stephens), and it has me listed as R1 on its y-results page, too.

I crunched the 25 markers that I have thus far into Whit Athey's y-haplogroup predictor and came up with a score of 66 for R1b. Any score of 50 or higher is supposed to be a pretty sure bet that one is a member of that haplogroup.

As you said, DMac: weird.

Comment

• Stevo
                              R1b-FGC36981
                              • Apr 2006

So where are all you R1b guys?

When I am interested in and excited about something, I want to discuss it. Sometimes this forum moves a bit too slow.

Excuse me, please.

Comment

• MMaddi
                                yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e
                                • Jul 2005

Interesting posting by David Faux

Here's something that gives hope to all R1b's who used to consider membership in that haplogroup as a banishment to "plain vanilladom." David Faux, the president of EthnoAncestry, and an R1b1c10 (S28+) himself, had an interesting posting on the Genealogy-DNA list this afternoon. He reports on what he is able to say about his deep ancestry, based on his paper trail research of his ancestors, his knowledge of history and his S28+ status.

Read his posting at http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read...-05/1148755371

Mike
                                R1b1c9* (S21+)

Comment

Working...
                                X