Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If YOU ARE ONE, BE ONE

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by F.E.C.
    Hi Stevo,

    you're lucky, at least you're not listed as unknown cluster.

    It's interesting to see you don't belong to the Frisian cluster, afterall.

    I've read what David Faux says about S21+: It seems he has finally

    estabilished it's a typical Germanic marker. I'd wait for more results from

    other parts of Europe before being so sure though.
    It seems to me the Frisian cluster must mean Anglo-Saxon. Almost all of the entries for it in John's chart are from England, Scotland, and Wales. None of them are from Scandinavia. 3% of the Western European entries are in the Frisian cluster. That does not seem like many for a cluster named after an area in continental Europe.

    You are very right about the need for more results. All of the tables seem heavily skewed toward the British Isles.

    I would like to know what STR28 means in terms of geography, though. Actually, John is not 100% certain I belong in that cluster, since he put a question mark after it in my entry.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Stevo
      I would like to know what STR28 means in terms of geography, though. Actually, John is not 100% certain I belong in that cluster, since he put a question mark after it in my entry.
      I see. It's only three individuals belonging to your same cluster: to few to

      estabilish a geographical connection of any kind.

      I'm afraid that, as we alway say, only time will tell. Just hope it doesn't

      take too long.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by F.E.C.
        I see. It's only three individuals belonging to your same cluster: to few to

        estabilish a geographical connection of any kind.

        I'm afraid that, as we alway say, only time will tell. Just hope it doesn't

        take too long.
        Me too.

        Maybe our grandchildren will find out.
        Last edited by Stevo; 2 July 2006, 12:38 PM.

        Comment


        • Brian Sykes' New Book

          I saw on the Rootsweb DNA List that Dr. Brian Sykes is set to release a new book in November called Blood of the Isles (hope I got that title right). It is supposed to be the culmination of years of research into the genetic heritage of the British Isles.

          I will probably buy the book when it comes out, but I have some misgivings.

          Sykes does not seem careful enough to me. Take his recent naming of a Florida Accounting professor a descendant of Genghis Khan, for example, which was based on only 10 markers. The man turned out not to even belong to the same y-haplogroup as Temujin.

          I suspect he might do something stupid like lumping all R1bs into the "Celtic" category or making R1bs the subject caste of "natives."

          How likely does that latter scenario seem, given the prolific reproductive success of R1b?

          We'll see I guess.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Stevo
            I saw on the Rootsweb DNA List that Dr. Brian Sykes is set to release a new book in November called Blood of the Isles (hope I got that title right). It is supposed to be the culmination of years of research into the genetic heritage of the British Isles.

            I will probably buy the book when it comes out, but I have some misgivings.

            Sykes does not seem careful enough to me. Take his recent naming of a Florida Accounting professor a descendant of Genghis Khan, for example, which was based on only 10 markers. The man turned out not to even belong to the same y-haplogroup as Temujin.

            I suspect he might do something stupid like lumping all R1bs into the "Celtic" category or making R1bs the subject caste of "natives."

            How likely does that latter scenario seem, given the prolific reproductive success of R1b?

            We'll see I guess.
            Reading reviews and excerpts from his last book Adam's Curse has already given me misgivings to any future work he might publish.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by paitenceofjob
              Reading reviews and excerpts from his last book Adam's Curse has already given me misgivings to any future work he might publish.
              Yeah, I saw that book on the shelf at Borders a couple of days ago.

              It looked like sensationalist gibberish to me.

              Kind of like his Genghis Khan marketing ploy.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by paitenceofjob
                Reading reviews and excerpts from his last book Adam's Curse has already given me misgivings to any future work he might publish.
                Yeah, he basically said males are doomed to become extinct because of the size of the y chromosome. Sounds pretty farout to me!

                Mike

                Comment


                • Originally posted by MMaddi
                  Yeah, he basically said males are doomed to become extinct because of the size of the y chromosome. Sounds pretty farout to me!

                  Mike
                  Yeah, bizarre!

                  If males become extinct, so does the entire human race, unless he predicts that females of the future will clone each other or something.

                  Send in the clones . . .

                  Don't bother, they're here.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Stevo
                    I prefer gin-and-tonic myself.
                    Aber Ya Ya Ya, doch! Even thou I take traubenmost.

                    Comment


                    • Anyone have any new ideas for playing with Ysearch?

                      Any new info on R1b?

                      I recently read some interesting stuff by Ellen Levy Coffman in which she theorizes that R1b is not actually native to Britain but arrived there during the Neolithic Period.

                      Any comments?

                      Comment


                      • 492=13 - S21+ value?

                        I posted in the thread about Batch 145 that I have received partial results (unofficially) from FTDNA on my marker upgrade from 37 to 67. They have to rerun one of the panels, with 13 markers, but I did get the results for the other 17.

                        I posted my partial results to the Genealogy-DNA list and asked for feedback on any unusual results for an R1b. Ken Nordvedt replied that my 492=13 is one higher repeat than the preliminary modal value for that marker in R1b's.

                        I went to DNA Fingerprint and entered my new values in my account there. Then I did a search for S21+'s there and came up with 10 results. There were only 2, myself and another person, who had entered values for 492. We were both 13.

                        So perhaps 492=13 is an S21+ value. Anyone who is S21+ and has upgraded to 67 markers should see what their 492 value is.

                        Mike

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by MMaddi
                          I posted in the thread about Batch 145 that I have received partial results (unofficially) from FTDNA on my marker upgrade from 37 to 67. They have to rerun one of the panels, with 13 markers, but I did get the results for the other 17.

                          I posted my partial results to the Genealogy-DNA list and asked for feedback on any unusual results for an R1b. Ken Nordvedt replied that my 492=13 is one higher repeat than the preliminary modal value for that marker in R1b's.

                          I went to DNA Fingerprint and entered my new values in my account there. Then I did a search for S21+'s there and came up with 10 results. There were only 2, myself and another person, who had entered values for 492. We were both 13.

                          So perhaps 492=13 is an S21+ value. Anyone who is S21+ and has upgraded to 67 markers should see what their 492 value is.

                          Mike
                          I saw that on the list. Interesting. I wonder if more S21+ indicators will turn up with the upgrade in markers.

                          I'm trying to decide right now whether or not I want to order the upgrade to 67 markers.

                          It's not an easy decision.

                          Comment


                          • Aaarrrggghhh!!!

                            Man, sometimes this forum moves slowly!

                            And very very very few people ever post over on the R1b Forum. It's like the Stevo Show over there. I'm practically the only one there.

                            I would be glad to discuss R1b over there, if folks get tired of R1b here, or if the length of this thread is intimidating.

                            I would say more on the Rootsweb DNA List, but there are so many real experts there, and I am such a dna rookie, I'm afraid of sounding stupid. I usually limit my comments to history, which is a subject I know fairly well.

                            Somebody talk me into upgrading to 67 markers.

                            Give me some good reasons for doing it, before I spend the money on something else.

                            Comment


                            • You should do the upgrade Stevo just to find out the most you can about your DNA haplotype. You know you'll eventually do it, so just get it over with & have it done now! Do it, do it, do it...

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Stevo
                                Somebody talk me into upgrading to 67 markers.
                                Give me some good reasons for doing it, before I spend the money on something else.
                                How often do you get to be on the cutting edge of science? You can buy books anytime! You can even borrow them from your local library

                                Elise

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X