Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If YOU ARE ONE, BE ONE

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Stevo
    I am not really sure about my father's male line. British Isles, I think, but I don't know for sure. The paper trail dead ends in 1804 with the birth of my ggg-grandfather in the Northern Panhandle of West Virginia (the finger of WVA between Pennsylvania and Ohio).

    I don't have any matches with anyone with my surname or one of its variants, and that is frustrating.

    That's a cool word: cuginetto.

    It's an honor to be your cuginetto, Francesco.

    Maybe our ancestors were in the legions together? Or maybe our common ancestor?
    To: Stevo about your signature and your wife calling you a HUN: All Germans are called Huns,I don't know why,but they are.An evil omen calls me a Mongolian(same thing as a Hun),but I ain't.Mongolian DNA is not mt-K or Y-R1B1-I checked, and no Huns Here.But the title sticks.I don't like being called a Philistine either(unless I really am!)

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Jambalaia32
      To: Stevo about your signature and your wife calling you a HUN: All Germans are called Huns,I don't know why,but they are.An evil omen calls me a Mongolian(same thing as a Hun),but I ain't.Mongolian DNA is not mt-K or Y-R1B1-I checked, and no Huns Here.But the title sticks.I don't like being called a Philistine either(unless I really am!)
      My signature is really just meant to be humorous.

      It seemed funny to me anyway . . . but I'm easy.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Jambalaia32
        To: Stevo about your signature and your wife calling you a HUN: All Germans are called Huns,I don't know why,but they are.An evil omen calls me a Mongolian(same thing as a Hun),but I ain't.Mongolian DNA is not mt-K or Y-R1B1-I checked, and no Huns Here.But the title sticks.I don't like being called a Philistine either(unless I really am!)
        A lot of Tribes rode out of the East. The Scythians for one. They made it to Europe.

        Huns........... http://www.imninalu.net/Huns.htm

        Scythians......http://www.silk-road.com/artl/scythian.shtml

        Comment


        • I decided to try something yesterday. I'm not sure how much value it has, but here goes.

          Since I have a 33/37 near hit with a man named Price who has Welsh ancestry, I compared my haplotype against all the Welsh R1b 37-marker haplotypes in YSEARCH. I left off the 12 and 25-marker haplotypes.

          Even including the one 33/37 near hit, the average genetic distance was 16.33.

          According to an email I received from John McEwan, he only considers distances of 10 and under to place one within a geographical group or cluster.

          So thus far, at least based on the data in YSEARCH, it does not appear that I line up real well with Welsh haplotypes.

          I'm going to try that with some of the other countries and regions and see if I get any closer results, especially if I can find a region where the average distance is 10 or less.

          I go now to see if I am an Italian!
          Last edited by Stevo; 13 June 2006, 12:49 PM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Stevo
            I go now to see if I am an Italian!
            Well, that was easy.

            There are very few R1b1s in YSEARCH claiming Italian ancestry.

            There were only three at 37 markers. My average genetic distance from them was 20.

            Of those with only 25 markers in YSEARCH, my average genetic distance from them was pretty big: 14.5.

            Those of Italian descent with only 12 markers were an average of 7.8 away from me.

            Doesn't look like I fit into an Italian cluster either, but, then again, there were only a very small number of haplotypes available for comparison.

            I'm sure my method is not very scientific. I took statistics in college, but that was a long long time ago.
            Last edited by Stevo; 13 June 2006, 01:12 PM.

            Comment


            • I set out just a little while ago to compare my haplotype to the Scottish entries in YSEARCH.

              BIG JOB!!!

              It killed the rest of my lunch break, and I have not yet gotten into Research Tools to get the genetic distance report.

              There are a lot of British Isles entires in YSEARCH.

              Is there a faster way than writing down all of the user ids and typing them into the Research Tools slot for comparison?

              It took me forever to write down all those Scottish id numbers!

              Comment


              • I have 12/12 match or two in Switzeland. That's the alps ...right?

                I have a match in italy. So I have been on both sides of the mountains.

                And I show up good 12/12 in France...(minutely 12/12 in Spain and Azores)...and the numbers pick up in England Scotland,..and Ireland.
                Last edited by M.O'Connor; 13 June 2006, 02:16 PM.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Stevo
                  I set out just a little while ago to compare my haplotype to the Scottish entries in YSEARCH.

                  BIG JOB!!!

                  It killed the rest of my lunch break, and I have not yet gotten into Research Tools to get the genetic distance report.

                  There are a lot of British Isles entires in YSEARCH.

                  Is there a faster way than writing down all of the user ids and typing them into the Research Tools slot for comparison?

                  It took me forever to write down all those Scottish id numbers!
                  I would probably use the "Search by Genetic Match" tab. The list of matches that comes up includes the place of origin.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by DMac
                    I would probably use the "Search by Genetic Match" tab. The list of matches that comes up includes the place of origin.
                    I'm trying to compare my haplotype to all the R1b1 haplotypes in a region.

                    I will try the "Search by Genetic Match" thing at a distance of 10 and under and see if any particular area predominates.

                    Thanks.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by DMac
                      I would probably use the "Search by Genetic Match" tab. The list of matches that comes up includes the place of origin.
                      I tried that at 37 markers. It only allows a maximum genetic distance of 6.

                      I get only two hits. One 34/37 with a man named Webb (I knew about that one) from New Jersey, and the 33/37 with Dr. Price, who claims Welsh ancestry.

                      I've already checked my haplotype against the Welsh haplotypes in YSEARCH, including that 33/37 one (see my post above).

                      I've had emails from a member of the Webb family. 19th century New Jersey is where their paper trail ends.

                      I guess I will just have to do the slow work of comparing my haplotype to all the YSEARCH haplotypes in a region by entering all the relevant user ids.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Stevo
                        I'm trying to compare my haplotype to all the R1b1 haplotypes in a region.

                        I will try the "Search by Genetic Match" thing at a distance of 10 and under and see if any particular area predominates.

                        Thanks.
                        Once you have the list of all the R1b1's of a distance of 10 or less, look for the ones for the particular geographical area you want to compare. Then in the first column click in the box to use those for comparison. Then click on the "Compare" link near the top of the first column.

                        This will give you a page which has a box with all the ysearch ID's for those you chose to compare. Then add your ysearch ID to the begining of the list of ID's. You can then click on the icon to compare haplotypes or compare genetic distances for that list. It will have your haplotype as the one to compare all the others to.

                        Mike

                        Comment


                        • yea...that's so cool to see..."Native Siberian"..and Chinese Muslum Uyghur


                          in matches...do you have them too?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Stevo

                            There were only three at 37 markers. My average genetic distance from them was 20.
                            Stevo, did you search R1b, R1b1 or R1b1c?

                            I checked eastern Europe's plain R1b's on Ysearch: the majority of them are Italians and 11 of them (I think) have tested 37 marker.
                            But nevermind, your haplotype is very different from those (only a couple of them have DYS390=23).
                            Last edited by F.E.C.; 13 June 2006, 04:18 PM.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Stevo
                              I tried that at 37 markers. It only allows a maximum genetic distance of 6.

                              I get only two hits. One 34/37 with a man named Webb (I knew about that one) from New Jersey, and the 33/37 with Dr. Price, who claims Welsh ancestry.

                              I've already checked my haplotype against the Welsh haplotypes in YSEARCH, including that 33/37 one (see my post above).

                              I've had emails from a member of the Webb family. 19th century New Jersey is where their paper trail ends.

                              I guess I will just have to do the slow work of comparing my haplotype to all the YSEARCH haplotypes in a region by entering all the relevant user ids.
                              Stevo,
                              Use these settings:
                              Show user that tested at least [37] of the markers I did. Then click the radio button before "maximum genetic distance of 1 per marker compared above [change number to 27 for GD of 10 or less] markers."

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by DMac
                                Stevo,
                                Use these settings:
                                Show user that tested at least [37] of the markers I did. Then click the radio button before "maximum genetic distance of 1 per marker compared above [change number to 27 for GD of 10 or less] markers."
                                I'll give that a try as soon as I finish posting this message.

                                Since I arrived home after riding the train for over an hour (we were delayed today behind an Amtrak train), I ran all the 37-marker Scottish haplotypes in YSEARCH against my haplotype.

                                There were plenty of 37-marker entries, so I didn't concern myself with 25s and 12s, which were distant anyway.

                                The average genetic distance between my haplotype and the Scots is 20.

                                Doesn't look like I will be donning a kilt anytime soon.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X