Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

British Isles

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by kevinduffy View Post
    Interesting. What part of Scotland did your paternal grandfather's ancestors come from? It would seem to have been a very Gaelic area from his results.
    Yes, many out of his paternal line come from the Outer Hebrides/Barra area.

    Comment


    • #17
      Change after FTDNA updates

      So I was 97% British Isles.3 % Norweigian. Now after the upgrades at FTDNA, I am showing 68 % British Isles., 1 % Finnish 31 % Central Europe. Did anybody have that happen?

      Comment


      • #18
        British Isles

        Under My Origins 1.0, I had British Isles 20-something %, Western Europe 30-something %, 17% Scandinavian & 4% Finnish. My Origins 2.0 now shows Western/Central Europe 62%, Scandinavian boosted to 36%, British Isles completely gone. I'm assuming the former British Isles has been absorbed into the increased Scandinavian percentages, but who knows?

        Comment


        • #19
          mine seemed to be absorbed into CENTRAL Europe..

          Comment


          • #20
            Sicilians Normans.

            Hello,
            I'm 100% Sicilian and in myOrygins I scored 13% British Isles, my mother line comes from a town known to be settled by some Normans families belonging to the court of Jordan de Hauteville, and the population there remained rather stable with few external marriages for centuries, for some reasons.. Do you know other examples of people with partly Norman ancestry in Gedmatch? I would like to compare my kit with those.
            Thanks/Regards.
            Rob.
            Last edited by Minosse; 28 April 2017, 05:21 AM.

            Comment


            • #21
              I've had my test results for a while now at 67, and I've never seen 3% of this adn 20% of that, as this thread is talking about. Do I have to special order such results or am I missing something in my dashboard?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by GregR1 View Post
                I've had my test results for a while now at 67, and I've never seen 3% of this adn 20% of that, as this thread is talking about. Do I have to special order such results or am I missing something in my dashboard?
                When you see percentages of ethnic/geographic ancestry mentioned, this is for the Family Finder test. Besides giving matches, the Family Finder test includes myOrigins, which estimates the percentages you're seeing. If all you've taken is a yDNA test, that's why you don't see ethnic/geographic percentages; yDNA tests don't include any sort of estimate of ethnic/geographic ancestry.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
                  When you see percentages of ethnic/geographic ancestry mentioned, this is for the Family Finder test. Besides giving matches, the Family Finder test includes myOrigins, which estimates the percentages you're seeing. If all you've taken is a yDNA test, that's why you don't see ethnic/geographic percentages; yDNA tests don't include any sort of estimate of ethnic/geographic ancestry.
                  I've done the family finder test and I can't see any link that leads to 30% this and 12 % that.

                  Where can look?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by GregR1 View Post
                    I've done the family finder test and I can't see any link that leads to 30% this and 12 % that.

                    Where can look?
                    When you click on the link to myOrigins from your Dashboard, you'll see a page with a small table and a map. You can click on the "show all" link at the bottom of the table, and it will open a larger chart/table showing ALL percentages, zero or not, for all categories.

                    Alternatively, click on the map, and then in the upper left corner of the resulting page, click on "expand all" for "(your name) Ethnic Makeup." That will show the percentages for the ethnicities you have.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by KATM View Post
                      When you click on the link to myOrigins from your Dashboard, you'll see a page with a small table and a map. You can click on the "show all" link at the bottom of the table, and it will open a larger chart/table showing ALL percentages, zero or not, for all categories.

                      Alternatively, click on the map, and then in the upper left corner of the resulting page, click on "expand all" for "(your name) Ethnic Makeup." That will show the percentages for the ethnicities you have.
                      Thank you so much; you've been very helpful.

                      Question; my split is 89% to 11%, so how does the 11% play into it? That is to say, that I have 89% from one European location and 11% from another... How does a male line get 11%?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by GregR1 View Post
                        Thank you so much; you've been very helpful.

                        Question; my split is 89% to 11%, so how does the 11% play into it? That is to say, that I have 89% from one European location and 11% from another... How does a male line get 11%?
                        The Family Finder and yDNA tests are different. Family Finder is testing 22 pairs of chromosomes, which come from both your mother and father, from all lines in their ancestry. The yDNA test only reflects your strict paternal line - father, paternal grandfather, paternal grandfather's father, etc.

                        So, when myOrigins in Family Finder gives you 89% of this and 11% of that, it is telling you about your overall ethnic/geographic ancestry, from every line in your tree. You can't apply that only to your strict paternal line.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
                          The Family Finder and yDNA tests are different. Family Finder is testing 22 pairs of chromosomes, which come from both your mother and father, from all lines in their ancestry. The yDNA test only reflects your strict paternal line - father, paternal grandfather, paternal grandfather's father, etc.

                          So, when myOrigins in Family Finder gives you 89% of this and 11% of that, it is telling you about your overall ethnic/geographic ancestry, from every line in your tree. You can't apply that only to your strict paternal line.
                          Thank you very much for that.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Gedmatch

                            To further confuse the issue, take your raw data over to www.gedmatch.com and try out their admixture programs, in case you haven't already that is. That's always fun and interesting.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              "Saxons, Vikings, and Celts" by Bryan Sykes

                              As has been mentioned, England was invaded many times, including Romans, Normans, Danish Vikings, Anglo-Saxons. And of course parts of Scotland were settled by Scandinavians.

                              My own heredity includes recent (my Grandparents) English, German, and Icelandic, and in some earlier studies, it showed up as 97% English. As time goes on, the admixture calculations have become more accurate, and show more European. I think many people in England have nearly as much "German" and "Scandinavian" blood as I do, although the mixing occurred farther back in time.

                              I found Bryan Sykes's book "Saxons, Vikings, and Celts", (originally published as "Blood of the Isles" in Britain), to be very interesting. It describes early DNA studies of thousands of people in England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland. It's an good read, and many, if not most, of the findings are still relevant.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Very Interesting

                                So my FTDNA originally came back 97% British Isles and 3% Scandinavian, Which fit with what I would have guessed. Then after the recent " enhancements " to the site I am showing the same except about 38% Central European. I guess they are counting Irish as Gaul or something ? So my Twin Brother takes the test with Ancestry DNA and comes back closer to what I was with the first round of MYFTDNA.. 95% British Isles and about 5% Scandinavian. Plus they break out the Irish at about 58% and British at about 37%.( Again , just what I would have guessed ). This is something MYFTDNA can or does not do because they say those from the Islands are too close to distinguish from one another...I am beginning to wish I would have used Ancestry DNA. They are also showing more DNA matches, evidently because there data base is larger.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X