Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I do to find out if I have Sephardic DNA and how much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aniara View Post
    Thank you so much, AFH. You've been really helpful. Out of curiosity, did your FF results list Sephardi at all?
    MyOrigins doesn't include a Sephardic Jewish population for comparison they have a Jewish Diaspora which only includes Ashkenazi Jews. There are plans to include a Sephardic Jewish population. The results I've seen for Sephardic Jews either have low percentages of Jewish Diaspora or none. My results are as follows:

69% Southern Europe
    15% Scandinavia
    12% British Isles
    05% North Africa

Comment

Originally posted by AFH View Post
      MyOrigins doesn't include a Sephardic Jewish population for comparison they have a Jewish Diaspora which only includes Ashkenazi Jews. There are plans to include a Sephardic Jewish population. The results I've seen for Sephardic Jews either have low percentages of Jewish Diaspora or none. My results are as follows:

69% Southern Europe
      15% Scandinavia
      12% British Isles
      05% North Africa
      My understanding is that one's results must meet a minimum percentage of 5% Jewish Diaspora to be counted otherwise your DNA will be assigned to some other reference population. I don't like that I think if one comes out 1%-4%Jewish Diaspora that it should be counted as Jewish Diaspora.

Comment

I agree. I thought I read somewhere that North Africa was likely Sephardi.

Comment

If you have Jewish ancestry then matching to North African reference populations supposedly indicates Sephardic ancestry.

FTDNA doesn't provide a lot of admixture detail. Have you uploaded your test results to gedmatch.com?

Through traditional genealogy research and studying admixture results for a group of people who match one another on the same significant (>10 cM) chromosome segment, I was able to determine that we have a common Jewish ancestor from 18th century Menorca, Spain.

BTW, my husband, who is 1/4 Puerto Rican, 1/4 Italian (Piedmont and Naples), and 1/2 Sicilian, has about a 10% match with Norwegian populations. Our ancestors were more mobile than we had realized. I think this is especially true for those of us with Mediterranean ancestry.

Comment

Unfortunately, I have limited information on my ancestors. My mom is from Trinidad and when they say it's a melting pot, they're not kidding. Her dad's side is Portuguese. Her mom's side is a mix of native Venezuelan (Margarita) and East Indian.

My dad is from Bogota, Colombia and I hardly know him. My mother only recently told me that both of his parents were a mix of native Colombian and European. His dad walked out on them when he was a very young boy, so I doubt anyone but my paternal grandmother knows anything more about him. I don't really have access to her.

Anything beyond that I really don't know. I'm literally just starting my quest to discover my roots. In fact, until yesterday I didn't even know my maternal grandmother's parents' names. I only found them through searching vital records.

I don't have my FF results yet, but when I do, I'm immediately checking out GEDmatch. I keep reading about it everywhere.

My dad's surname originates in Spain.

Comment

I figured I'd give an update. My MO shows that I'm:

52% European
              -33% Southern Europe
              -17% Western and Central Europe
              -2% Scandinavia
              25% Central/South Asia
              -17% South Asia
              -8% Central Asia
              14% New World (Native American)
              4% African
              -2% East Central Africa
              -2% West Africa
              3% Middle Eastern (North Africa)
              3% East Asian (Northeast Asia)

I've got a lot of work ahead of me, but I do have Portuguese matches both here and at GEDmatch. I found an Ashkenazi I share a 9cM segment with, and when I use the chromosome painter with Jtest to compare, it appears to be West Mediterranean. So far so good.

Comment

I figured I'd give an update. My MO shows that I'm:

52% European
                -33% Southern Europe
                -17% Western and Central Europe
                -2% Scandinavia
                25% Central/South Asia
                -17% South Asia
                -8% Central Asia
                14% New World (Native American)
                4% African
                -2% East Central Africa
                -2% West Africa
                3% Middle Eastern (North Africa)
                3% East Asian (Northeast Asia)

I've got a lot of work ahead of me, but I do have Portuguese matches both here and at GEDmatch. I found an Ashkenazi I share a 9cM segment with, and when I use the chromosome painter with Jtest to compare, it appears to be West Mediterranean. So far so good.
                If you have matches with the surnames Brum, Goulart, Silveira, Terra, and Dutra then you very likely have ancestors from the Azores islands. Matches with the surname Jardim are from Madeira usually.

Perhaps you've heard of this book written by a student 20 years ago from Trinidad working on her PH.D thesis. "The Portuguese of Trinidad and Tobago: Portrait of an Ethnic Minority."
                Last edited by AFH; 21 January 2017, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AFH View Post
                  If you have matches with the surnames Brum, Goulart, Silveira, Terra, and Dutra then you very likely have ancestors from the Azores islands. Matches with the surname Jardim are from Madeira usually.

Perhaps you've heard of this book written by a student 20 years ago from Trinidad working on her PH.D thesis. "The Portuguese of Trinidad and Tobago: Portrait of an Ethnic Minority."
                  ISBN 9766180172, 9789766180171

Comment

Ooh, no, I hadn't. Thank you for telling me about it.

I have a few Madeira matches for sure here and one Azores. But I don't even have 100 matches here. I have mostly Pereira/Perreira matches, Da Silva, names like that. My great grandmother was a Pereira though.

Comment

Ooh, no, I hadn't. Thank you for telling me about it.

I have a few Madeira matches for sure here and one Azores. But I don't even have 100 matches here. I have mostly Pereira/Perreira matches, Da Silva, names like that. My great grandmother was a Pereira though.
                      That's interesting. I doubt you have Azorean ancestry based on the fact that you only have one match. What is the surname of the Azores match the island and villages if listed?

People with Azores ancestry typically have 350-600 matches on family finder depending on what island(s) their family is from.

What country does the Ashkenazi Jewish match lead to?

Do you have any matches to mainland Portugal?

Comment

Well, looking at them all, they have either Pereira or Sousa/Souza listed in their trees, from Azores. There are two with Pereira and one with Souza, and I otherwise have Sousa matches, so I probably have a Sousa ancestor as well. But all the Azores ancestors are from the 1600s.

I can't tell anything with the AJ. It's a kit on GEDmatch. I'm formulating a list of kits to hopefully succeed in triangulation. It's a real time sink.

Comment

Well, looking at them all, they have either Pereira or Sousa/Souza listed in their trees, from Azores. There are two with Pereira and one with Souza, and I otherwise have Sousa matches, so I probably have a Sousa ancestor as well. But all the Azores ancestors are from the 1600s.

I can't tell anything with the AJ. It's a kit on GEDmatch. I'm formulating a list of kits to hopefully succeed in triangulation. It's a real time sink.
                          If you find out please post I have some genetic evidence and some historical documents that indicate my direct paternal line may have been on Madeira about 1500. My atDNA match is from Ponta do Sol but I suspect Funchal is the likely Place.I think the shared segment is a sticky segment.

Comment

I'm working on lists for myself and my husband, so PM me your GEDmatch kit and I can work on one for you too when I'm done.

Comment

Working...
                            X