No announcement yet.

What is a surname match ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most people, at least where I live, would group Finns and Swedes together. I saw a movie once where the Finnish star who recently travelled to America was asked time and time again "What is the difference between Finns and Swedes?" Tired of being asked this question so many times, he replied, "The heads of Swedish people are shaped differently."

Anyway, when I shared with my dad (who is in his mid-80's) what I found on the internet about John Morton, he said that his father (who lived in Finland all of his life) spoke with a Rautalampi accent. My aunt then said that
    (it must have been around the time of WW2) her mother told her that one the Marttinens signed the Declaration of Independance. This is why she looked for the name Marttinen on the document.

Now, on the other side of the Declaration of Independance there's a map that leads to King Solomon's Treasure. Unfortunately my Aunt couldn't crack the code on that one either...

Comment

Why not Codex surname matches in FTDNA?

I used six variant spellings for McCown to get matches. The only variants that show up to date are MacCowan, McCowen and McCowne. Only one of them matches my 12 markers as close as 11/12 matches. There could have been more with codex, if more people were tested. None of my high matches (33/37) are variant spellings of my surname. Codex apparently won't work for me yet, but could it for others? I have opted to have all matches reported regardless of surname.

Comment

Originally posted by wmccown
        I used six variant spellings for McCown to get matches. The only variants that show up to date are MacCowan, McCowen and McCowne. Only one of them matches my 12 markers as close as 11/12 matches. There could have been more with codex, if more people were tested. None of my high matches (33/37) are variant spellings of my surname. Codex apparently won't work for me yet, but could it for others? I have opted to have all matches reported regardless of surname.

back to the original thought

why can't the comutor see the connection in names listed in project ysearch does

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
          Awesome story!

I know the Swedes owned what is now Delaware, which they called New Sweden.

How many of those colonists were actually Finns? Do you know?

Morton's grandfather Mårten Mårtensson Jr. arrived to the New Continent at the age of eight in 1651, along with his parents Mårten Mårtensson Sr. (Martti Marttinen) from Rautalampi, Finland and Mrs. 'Justis' Marttinen from Savo, Finland. They were among the first emigrants locating themselves on the banks of the Delaware River, where Mårten Mårtensson Sr. had payed his first visit in 1641, after the first permanent settlement was established there in 1638 by a small group of Finns and Swedes. With total of 12 expeditions bringing settlers to the area from 1638 to 1665 this largely Finnish colony (over 80%) became to be known as 'New Sweden' in accordance to the two nations being ruled as one at the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Morton_(politician)

Comment

Originally posted by Poika
            Morton's grandfather Mårten Mårtensson Jr. arrived to the New Continent at the age of eight in 1651, along with his parents Mårten Mårtensson Sr. (Martti Marttinen) from Rautalampi, Finland and Mrs. 'Justis' Marttinen from Savo, Finland. They were among the first emigrants locating themselves on the banks of the Delaware River, where Mårten Mårtensson Sr. had payed his first visit in 1641, after the first permanent settlement was established there in 1638 by a small group of Finns and Swedes. With total of 12 expeditions bringing settlers to the area from 1638 to 1665 this largely Finnish colony (over 80%) became to be known as 'New Sweden' in accordance to the two nations being ruled as one at the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Morton_(politician)
            Thanks, Poika.

Now driving up through Delaware from Ocean City, Maryland, will take on new significance.

Before now I just enjoyed the scenery.

Comment

Thank you for the update, Poika.

I noticed in your profile that you're from Nokia. That's around where my dad grew up. He grew up in the Tampere area and spent half a year (sometime in the mid-40's) at a small hospital in Nokia. He remembers the Nokia plant was then making tires and boots. I guess the cell-phone thing was one of the plant's later products.

Comment

Working...
              X