• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a surname match ?

I run the Denning & Variant Project.Its based on names with dnn
    denney,denehy,danning,dinan,dennen,dennis, Dannenberg,dannanmen
    those arent the same surname you say?

page 525 the great migration begins WILLIAM DENNING ORIGIN:unknown MIGRATION: 1633 FIRST RESIDENCE:Boston CHURCH MEMBERSHIP::"WILLYAM DENNYNservant to our brother WILLIAM BRENTON" was admitted to boston church 23 mar 1633/4[BChR 17] FREEDMAN:9 March 1636-7[as "will:dinny"][mbcr 1:373] EDUCATION: the invenory includes "one bible"valued at 6 s. ESTATE:On 12 DEC1636"William Deninge" was one of five servants of William Brento n ordered to have the great allotments at muddy river [btr 14]. (Pope claims that Dennin g was proprietor on 14 Dec 1635;this date on which most Boston proprietor were awarded these allotme nts, but Denning and others were an after though the year later.) On 8 jan1637-38 the gra nts were laid out and "WILLIAM DENNING" recieved ten acres [btr 26] In the boston book of prossessions"William Denning"[sic]" held a hous e and lot bounded by Captian Keayne, North, Maudit English west,Benjamin Gilliam east and the lan e southeast [bbop 37] On 5 Jan 1651/2"WilliamDenning" and MauditEnglish complained about hinderenc e of access to there garden by the owners of the windmill, and where given relie f by the town [btr 107] In his will OF 18 JAN1653/4(PROVED 31 jan1653/4)"William Denning" gave t o his wife Ann Denning the use of his estate for life.:after her decease,If hi s son OBEDIAHcome over into New England then one- half the estate to be his otherwise 20s.; the remainder, toget her with the other half to my kinswomen Mary Powell, Provided she remain with my wife durring he r life; friends and brethern Edward Flecter and John Hull overseers, they have power to sell abo ut a half an acre below my garden., bounded with highway on one side,Muadet English on the we st, and Deacon Marshall and Captain Robert Keayne on the north, to pay debts;witness Gam aliel Waite and Benjamin Negas [spr 1:95].The inventory was taken 18 january 1653/4[sic] b y Edward Flectcher and John Hull; the estate totaled*)lbs.7s., of which 60lbs. was real e state:"one house & lot adjoining unto it& two house lots joining to them... consisting of about t wo acres...with sundry fruit trees" [spr 2:138]. BIRTH:by or about 1616 based on date of freemanship(and probably somewhat earlie r if he had an adult son by the timeof his death) DEATH:Boston Ma 20 FEB 1653-4 [BVR] Denning, Francis, and John, Mass. 1664. Felt. WILLIAM, Boston 1634, was in the employm. of William Brenton, and perhaps came with him the yr. preced. d. 20 Jan. 1654. By his will made two days bef. pro. 31 of same mo. his w. Ann and s. Obadiah ar nam. but the latter absent, and the f. gives him, “in case he doth not come personally into the country,” for half the testat.'s est. “twenty shillings and no more.”

i have lived with this name the air force had me as danning for 3 months people i worked with for 20 yrs stil call me dennis or denney [a favorite ]
    give this perplexity to change and go from germany to london to scotland longford and then boston. what do these accents say. repeat denning ten times and see what you do
    familiarity drops the g and an n or two switch a vowel or n for an h.

So whats the problem?
    well we have danahys matching denehys and dinnings. they dont get a little icon as a match and the match goes unnoticed mahaldy for Mulledy smythe for smith. dever for diver or O'diver

what do you think?

Well said

Excellent points, Jim.

My own surname (Stevens) occurs in some form in just about every European country (St. Stephen, the first Christian martyr after Jesus, was a very popular saint).

The name is spelled all sorts of ways, and lots of non-English immigrants got their versions of it anglicized to Stevens or Stephens.

I also get called "Stevenson" quite often and have all my life.

Anyway, everyone should be aware of such things.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
      Excellent points, Jim.

My own surname (Stevens) occurs in some form in just about every European country (St. Stephen, the first Christian martyr after Jesus, was a very popular saint).

The name is spelled all sorts of ways, and lots of non-English immigrants got their versions of it anglicized to Stevens or Stephens.

I also get called "Stevenson" quite often and have all my life.

Anyway, everyone should be aware of such things.

bennett and max are going to kill me. but here goes
      what if denning is a match on the computor because i list it as a match in the gap page these are my project names Teney, Tenney are a strech but the rest aren't

Danaher, Danahy, Danan, Danin, Dann, Danna, Dannahy, Dannan, Dannemann, Dannen, Dannenberg, Danning, Dannison, Deenihan, Degnan, Dehning, Deignan, Deming, Demmin, Dendinger, Deneef, Deneene, Denehy, Dengh, Denig, Dening, Denlinger, Denn, Dennan, Dennant, Denne, Dennean, Dennen, Denneny, Dennett, Denney, Denng, Dennhardt, Dennie, Dennies, Dennig, Dennigan, Denning, Denninge, Denninger, Denningoff, Dennings, Dennis, Dennison, Denny, Dennyn, Dennyng, Denoon, Dentinger, Denune, Digninin, Dinant, Dineen, Dinigan, Dinihey, Dininge, Dinnan, Dinnery, Dinnin, Dinning, Dinninger, Dinny, Dinnyng, Dinon, Dionan, , Dnn, Doheney, Donegan, Donnachie, Donnahy, Donnan, Donnehy, Donohey, Doonan, Duignan, Dunnigan, Dunon, Dynan, Dynyn, O'Dinnan, O'Doonan, Teney, Tenney
      Last edited by Jim Denning; 16 May 2006, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Denning
        what if denning is a match on the computor because i list it as a match in the gap page these are my project names Teney, Tenney are a strech but the rest aren't

Danaher, Danahy, Danan, Danin, Dann, Danna, Dannahy, Dannan, Dannemann, Dannen, Dannenberg, Danning, Dannison, Deenihan, Degnan, Dehning, Deignan, Deming, Demmin, Dendinger, Deneef, Deneene, Denehy, Dengh, Denig, Dening, Denlinger, Denn, Dennan, Dennant, Denne, Dennean, Dennen, Denneny, Dennett, Denney, Denng, Dennhardt, Dennie, Dennies, Dennig, Dennigan, Denning, Denninge, Denninger, Denningoff, Dennings, Dennis, Dennison, Denny, Dennyn, Dennyng, Denoon, Dentinger, Denune, Digninin, Dinant, Dineen, Dinigan, Dinihey, Dininge, Dinnan, Dinnery, Dinnin, Dinning, Dinninger, Dinny, Dinnyng, Dinon, Dionan, , Dnn, Doheney, Donegan, Donnachie, Donnahy, Donnan, Donnehy, Donohey, Doonan, Duignan, Dunnigan, Dunon, Dynan, Dynyn, O'Dinnan, O'Doonan, Teney, Tenney
        That's enough to curl your hair!

Thank God for dna testing, eh?

Comment

I won't list 'em here...there almost 200 of them...but if you're curious the liiink will take you to the listing of the surnames in the Clan MacMillan project. I'd have no hope spelling some of them.

http://www.familytreedna.com/surname...7&special=True

I went though school, and still today, needing to correct people spelling my surname. They keep wanting to add letters. I keep telling them I'm too stupid to remember any extra letters. They can keep 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by DMac
            I won't list 'em here...there almost 200 of them...but if you're curious the liiink will take you to the listing of the surnames in the Clan MacMillan project. I'd have no hope spelling some of them.

http://www.familytreedna.com/surname...7&special=True

I went though school, and still today, needing to correct people spelling my surname. They keep wanting to add letters. I keep telling them I'm too stupid to remember any extra letters. They can keep 'em.

see mine are any name based on dnn i just didnt list them all like italian and polish ect i will take them all

Comment

I run the Denning & Variant Project.Its based on names with dnn
              denney,denehy,danning,dinan,dennen,dennis, Dannenberg,dannanmen
              those arent the same surname you say?

page 525 the great migration begins WILLIAM DENNING ORIGIN:unknown MIGRATION: 1633 FIRST RESIDENCE:Boston CHURCH MEMBERSHIP::"WILLYAM DENNYNservant to our brother WILLIAM BRENTON" was admitted to boston church 23 mar 1633/4[BChR 17] FREEDMAN:9 March 1636-7[as "will:dinny"][mbcr 1:373] EDUCATION: the invenory includes "one bible"valued at 6 s. ESTATE:On 12 DEC1636"William Deninge" was one of five servants of William Brento n ordered to have the great allotments at muddy river [btr 14]. (Pope claims that Dennin g was proprietor on 14 Dec 1635;this date on which most Boston proprietor were awarded these allotme nts, but Denning and others were an after though the year later.) On 8 jan1637-38 the gra nts were laid out and "WILLIAM DENNING" recieved ten acres [btr 26] In the boston book of prossessions"William Denning"[sic]" held a hous e and lot bounded by Captian Keayne, North, Maudit English west,Benjamin Gilliam east and the lan e southeast [bbop 37] On 5 Jan 1651/2"WilliamDenning" and MauditEnglish complained about hinderenc e of access to there garden by the owners of the windmill, and where given relie f by the town [btr 107] In his will OF 18 JAN1653/4(PROVED 31 jan1653/4)"William Denning" gave t o his wife Ann Denning the use of his estate for life.:after her decease,If hi s son OBEDIAHcome over into New England then one- half the estate to be his otherwise 20s.; the remainder, toget her with the other half to my kinswomen Mary Powell, Provided she remain with my wife durring he r life; friends and brethern Edward Flecter and John Hull overseers, they have power to sell abo ut a half an acre below my garden., bounded with highway on one side,Muadet English on the we st, and Deacon Marshall and Captain Robert Keayne on the north, to pay debts;witness Gam aliel Waite and Benjamin Negas [spr 1:95].The inventory was taken 18 january 1653/4[sic] b y Edward Flectcher and John Hull; the estate totaled*)lbs.7s., of which 60lbs. was real e state:"one house & lot adjoining unto it& two house lots joining to them... consisting of about t wo acres...with sundry fruit trees" [spr 2:138]. BIRTH:by or about 1616 based on date of freemanship(and probably somewhat earlie r if he had an adult son by the timeof his death) DEATH:Boston Ma 20 FEB 1653-4 [BVR] Denning, Francis, and John, Mass. 1664. Felt. WILLIAM, Boston 1634, was in the employm. of William Brenton, and perhaps came with him the yr. preced. d. 20 Jan. 1654. By his will made two days bef. pro. 31 of same mo. his w. Ann and s. Obadiah ar nam. but the latter absent, and the f. gives him, “in case he doth not come personally into the country,” for half the testat.'s est. “twenty shillings and no more.”

i have lived with this name the air force had me as danning for 3 months people i worked with for 20 yrs stil call me dennis or denney [a favorite ]
              give this perplexity to change and go from germany to london to scotland longford and then boston. what do these accents say. repeat denning ten times and see what you do
              familiarity drops the g and an n or two switch a vowel or n for an h.

So whats the problem?
              well we have danahys matching denehys and dinnings. they dont get a little icon as a match and the match goes unnoticed mahaldy for Mulledy smythe for smith. dever for diver or O'diver

what do you think?
              Maybe the surname Tennilä in Finland is related?

Stevo, the Finnish variant of your surname is Tapaninen or Tapanila.

Comment

what if denning is a match on the computor because i list it as a match in the gap page
                Jim,
                Don't you have the option of getting matches for other surnames? Why not just change that setting? For 12-marker matches, I can see the problem, but otherwise, it's better to get too many that miss some that are matches, even though the name doesn't match.

Paul

edit: I get what you're saying now. Yeah, that would be nice to show only matches based on the spelling variations you tell it on the GAP page. That is an excellent idea, IMO.
                Last edited by Paul_Sheats; 17 May 2006, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul_Sheats
                  Jim,
                  Don't you have the option of getting matches for other surnames? Why not just change that setting? For 12-marker matches, I can see the problem, but otherwise, it's better to get too many that miss some that are matches, even though the name doesn't match.

Paul

edit: I get what you're saying now. Yeah, that would be nice to show only matches based on the spelling variations you tell it on the GAP page. That is an excellent idea, IMO.

you have the setting and i get them but when you have a surname match the computor then makes the match more important and you get a icon
                  the following is on my group and dunning is denning and vice versa only 385b is one off yet look at the odds the difference is the name match

In comparing 12 markers, the probability that James C. Denning, Jr. and James M. Denning shared a common ancestor within the last...
                  4 generations is a

33.57% 8 generations is a 55.88% 12 generations is a 70.69% 16 generations is a 80.53% 20 generations is a 87.07% 24 generations is a
                  91.41%

In comparing 12 markers, the probability that James C. Denning, Jr. and Stuart K. Dunning shared a common ancestor within the last...
                  4 generations is a 6.81% 8 generations is a 19.28% 12 generations is a 33.15% 16 generations is a 46.3% 20 generations is a 57.79% 24 generations is a 67.37%

i am jr. james micheal my son
                  James Michael Denning (James DENNING 187?Ardagh-Moydow Longford Ireland) E3b 13 24 13 10 16 18 11 12 12 13 11 30 16 9 9 11 11 26 14 20 33 14 16 16 17
                  James Charles Denning (James Denning 1770ish longford Ireland) E3b1 13 24 13 10 16 18 11 12 12 13 11 30 16 9 9 11 11 26 14 20 33 14 16 16 17 9 11 19 19 17 12 17 19 31 34 11 10
                  Stuart Knapton Dunning E3b 13 24 13 10 16 19 11 12 12 13 11 30

victor note the dunning numbers
                  Last edited by Jim Denning; 17 May 2006, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul_Sheats

actually thats not a good idea because eventually clues will make some of the inexact matches relevant
                    i want all my matches but ones that should be name matches but for one letter or some other unrecognized by the computor glitch

every ,match to me is important some more then other ,some easier to see now then others . but what happens when 90,000,000 test?

Comment

actually thats not a good idea because eventually clues will make some of the inexact matches relevant
                      i want all my matches but ones that should be name matches but for one letter or some other unrecognized by the computor glitch

every ,match to me is important some more then other ,some easier to see now then others . but what happens when 90,000,000 test?
                      I don't have my results yet, so I'm not sure what the "matches" page looks like, even. I might have more comments after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Eki
                        Stevo, the Finnish variant of your surname is Tapaninen or Tapanila.
                        Cool. I like the first one - Tapaninen - best.

Comment

Speaking of Finns and name changes, one of my dad's Marttinen relatives signed the Declaration of Independance. His grandfather was Martti Marttinen. In those days Finland was ruled by Sweden, so the last name became Mortenson. Finns colonised part of what is now the United States, but they were (and still in some history books) called Swedes. They brought the log cabin to North America.

I digress, but here's the rest of the name changing tale:

Martti moved to the U.S. and named his son Martti. The second Martti Anglefied (a word?) his Swedified Mortenson name of his son to Morton and gave him an English "John". When Martti died, John was raised by and English-born man in the States (or what would be the States thanks to John et al). He became a judge and Bible teacher in Pennsylvania and voted for independance for the 13 colonies.

When my aunt went to look at the Declaration of Independance years ago she couldn't find a Marttinen, but the name is written very clearly under Benjamin Franklin--John Morton.

The story is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Morton_(politician)

Comment

Delaware?

Originally posted by Marttinen
                            Speaking of Finns and name changes, one of my dad's Marttinen relatives signed the Declaration of Independance. His grandfather was Martti Marttinen. In those days Finland was ruled by Sweden, so the last name became Mortenson. Finns colonised part of what is now the United States, but they were (and still in some history books) called Swedes. They brought the log cabin to North America.

I digress, but here's the rest of the name changing tale:

Martti moved to the U.S. and named his son Martti. The second Martti Anglefied (a word?) his Swedified Mortenson name of his son to Morton and gave him an English "John". When Martti died, John was raised by and English-born man in the States (or what would be the States thanks to John et al). He became a judge and Bible teacher in Pennsylvania and voted for independance for the 13 colonies.

When my aunt went to look at the Declaration of Independance years ago she couldn't find a Marttinen, but the name is written very clearly under Benjamin Franklin--John Morton.

The story is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Morton_(politician)
                            Awesome story!

I know the Swedes owned what is now Delaware, which they called New Sweden.

How many of those colonists were actually Finns? Do you know?

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
                              Awesome story!

I know the Swedes owned what is now Delaware, which they called New Sweden.

How many of those colonists were actually Finns? Do you know?
                              I guess it's hard to tell. They probably didn't differentiate between Finns and Swedes back then.

The story reminded me of when a Finnish tabloid newspaper told genealogists had found that one of George W Bush's ancestors came from an area in Sweden which had lots of Finnish immigrants in the 16th and 17th centuries and that he might have been a Finn as well as a Swede. Their internet site had an on-line poll asking if the readers wanted Bush to have a Finnish ancestor. Overwhelming majority were more than happy to let the Swedes have him

Here's a brief history of New Sweden:

http://www.colonialswedes.org/History/History.html

Comment

Working...
                              X