Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Privacy Questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Privacy Questions

    I have two privacy questions for the account settings:

    1) What are the best settings for the Family Tree privacy settings? Do you make anything public, viewable to your matches, or private? I've been coming across messages where people have been complaining about privacy with the Family Tree.

    2) Under the Privacy tab > Account Access > It says: "How much access do Project Administrators have to my account?" The default is to give Project Admins limited access. I'm concerned that they can change Contact Info. Does it limit you too much in projects if you give read-only access? Or, should you go with the default, limited access?

    Thoughts?

  • #2
    1. I do DNA testing and Genealogical research for one reason. I want to find relatives and ancestors. I want my information public.

    2. Project Admins can change everything in your contact information except your email address. If I found that one of my project admins had changed any of my information without my approval I would leave the project and I would report the admin to FTDNA. I KNOW they don't approve of us doing that. This has been talked about at many of the annual conferences FTDNA holds including the one two weeks ago. Frankly I see no reason for an admin to change anything in a member's contact information. When I think one of my members needs to change something I send them an email suggesting they make the change and tell them why I think they should.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
      1. I do DNA testing and Genealogical research for one reason. I want to find relatives and ancestors. I want my information public.
      I want my information public as well. There are (living) individuals who are concerned about online privacy. Do you publicize all data?


      Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
      2. Project Admins can change everything in your contact information except your email address. If I found that one of my project admins had changed any of my information without my approval I would leave the project and I would report the admin to FTDNA.
      This was my concern... but how do you know if this were to happen? Do you receive any type of email or some notice??


      Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
      I see no reason for an admin to change anything in a member's contact information.
      Honestly, I don't either. It's just to do due diligence and to ask the community.

      I really appreciate your input!!

      Comment

      Working...
      X