DNA Matching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA Matching

I have a relative who matches on all values. However, there is an individual who contacted me after having the y dna 12 marker test done and we are the same except for dsy385 (14-15 vs 13-15). What does this mean ? Thanks

A Y-DNA match at the 12 marker level is usually regarded as very weak evidence. In other words, it is very likely just a coincidence, unless the marker scores themselves are very uncommon. The recommended way to find out if a 12 marker match might be significant (assuming there is some reason to think there might be a connection) is to upgrade to 37 or more markers. You should find the "TiP" icon next to the match on your match list. Click on the "TiP" icon to get a list of estimated probabilities that you share a common patrilineal ancestor with this man within a defined number of generations.

Comment

They say that at least Y-67 is recommended. It has useful results.

Comment

Originally posted by deleonjoe View Post
        I have a relative who matches on all values. However, there is an individual who contacted me after having the y dna 12 marker test done and we are the same except for dsy385 (14-15 vs 13-15). What does this mean ? Thanks

Are you saying these are the same two individuals? Does he match you on the Family Finder test?

If his Y test was on Family Tree then he would have had to do at least the Y37 test and if he doesn't match at that level then it isn't really worth pursuing.

Sounds like if the two people are the same person then he matches you elsewhere than on his direct paternal line.

Comment

thanks

Thank you all for your help. I will recommend to this person that he should do the 37 marker test done.

Joe

Comment

Working...
          X