Exact match on Y-DNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exact match on Y-DNA

I am new to DNA testing so I have to ask.
    I am searching for my father.
    I did't know I was adopted till resently.

I have 5 persons with genetic distanse 0 and 6 with genetic distanse 1. They all share the same family name.

But in the match map I have 3 with exact match and 4 with 1 step match.
    How do I continue to narrow the search?

Regards
    Roland

At what level are the matches that you're referring to - 12, 25, 37 or 67 markers? The level at which you're matching tells you how likely it is that the common ancestor lived within the last few hundred years or possibly as much as 2,000 or more years ago.

Also, what is your predicted haplogroup? You may be able to factor that in to assessing how significant these matches are.

Comment

All I refeer to is Y37 markers.
      Predicted haplogroup E-M35, L117, Y2491

For the 6 first:
      In the TIP report it is 83% possability to common ansecter in 4 generations for Y37 marker.

In family finder I have more than 70 2nd to 4th cousine. I find it hard to believe.

Comment

Have you joined to adopted project? People there could have good tips for your search too.

Comment

Originally posted by RolandP View Post

For the 6 first:
          In the TIP report it is 83% possability to common ansecter in 4 generations for Y37 marker.

In family finder I have more than 70 2nd to 4th cousine. I find it hard to believe.
          Why do you find it hard to believe? If most of those are 4th cousins (which is likely), that means you share 3rd great grandparents with them. You have 32 third great grandparents and if each generation had even 2 children, that would be 480 people by the time it reached your generation. It's entirely plausible that 70 out of those 480 people might have tested. And considering many families have more than 2 kids, it's probably even more than 480.

Plus, keep in mind that the relationship is only an estimate and some of those may actually be more distantly related than 4th cousins.

Comment

For the 6 first:
            Take the TiP report with a grain of salt. If you're trying to find a biological father, it would be a good idea to upgrade to 67, especially if any of the matches you mention already have tested 67 markers. The more markers you compare, the more reliable the "time to most recent common ancestor" (TMRCA) will be. But TiP and other TMRCA estimators are based on average mutation rates and probability, so that's why you can't get a definite answer about the TMRCA.

At a certain point, your answer will come from researching the paper trail for someone with the most likely surname and finding someone with that surname in the right time and location for when you were conceived. Then you can get him or a close relative to test Family Finder, which will offer a more definitive answer than a yDNA test.

You wrote, "Predicted haplogroup E-M35, L117, Y2491." Is this your haplogroup or the haplogroup recorded for some or all the matches with the same surname? The Y2491 must be a new downstream SNP, which would mean whoever has that haplogroup has done some SNP testing.

Haplogroup E is not my area of yDNA knowledge, so I can't comment on what Y2491 may indicate about the ethnic/geographic ancestry associated with it. In general, E is more common in southern Europe, especially in Italy and Greece, than northern Europe. That may give you a clue about your biological father. If you haven't joined a haplogroup project yet, you should. Here's a link to the E-M35 Project - https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/e-3b/about. The administrators of that project can probably understand your results and what your matches are telling you about your paternal line.

Since Family Finder is an autosomal test, those 70 2nd-4th cousins can come from any line in your tree, not just the yDNA paternal line. Some of them are from any line of your paternal side and others are from any line of your maternal side.
            Last edited by MMaddi; 10 November 2016, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X