Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to this - can you help me decipher my results?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to this - can you help me decipher my results?

Hi

I'm new to this and have just received my Ancestry by DNA 2.5 and Euro-DNA 1.0 results and wonder if anyone would help me make sense of it. Sorry if am posting this on the wrong board - plase feel free to re-direct me!

The 2.5 results are:
    98% European
    2% Native American

The 1.0 results are:
    31% Northern European
    26% Southeastern European
    28% Middle East
    15% South Asian

I am a female born in England, with a mother born in England and Father born in Scotland. As far as I know my maternal grandparents were English and my paternal grandmother Scottish. All of us would describe ourselves as Caucasian (I'm a blue eyed blond) and from long generations of people residing in the United Kingdom - however I have a paternal grandfather that no one knows anything about. My Grandmother is alive but will take the 'secret' to the grave. She was very young when she had my father and I wonder about it being non consenting. This prompted my taking the 'test'. I will also add that in photos of my maternal grandfather as a child he looks asian in origen, but as an adult and a sailor he just looked very tanned!

I would be grateful for any comments. I will do some review of the literature but am I right in thinking that my heritage is not that straightforward and somewhere, not so long back, someone of non Northern European heritage was 'involved'. Quite happy with that - kinds of fits in with what I suspected.

Many thanks for any help.

Kirsty

If you are specifically curious about your father's father, there is an obvious way to get a very useful answer: Ask a direct male descendant of that grandfather to take a yDNA (Y chromosome) test. A suitable test subject would be your father, your brother, your father's brother, or your father's brother's son. I suggest a higher-precision test (either 37 or even 59 markers). See what the nationalities of the database matches are. If necessary, you can follow that up with a deep-subclade test.

One caution, though: If that grandfather was himself of mixed parentage--e.g., his mother was from India but his father was native to the British Isles--your result will only show his father's line, which could conceivably not yield the non-European information you apparently seek.

Concerning your ancestry results (which test the autosomal DNA that gets shuffled every generation), I can only hazard a guess as to their true meaning, partly by "converting" the results into yDNA haplogroups.

31% Northern European - perhaps similar to I1a, a haplogroup common in Scandinavia as well as the British Isles (where Norsemen often landed)

26% Southeastern European - perhaps similar to I1b, often associated with the Balkans but also found in Ukraine, Belarus, and nearby countries

28% Middle East - perhaps similar to J, often associated with those of Jewish or other Middle Eastern heritage

15% South Asian - perhaps similar to R1a, found in both India as well as Slavic countries from Russia to Poland; or perhaps this is a reference to one of the old Dravidian lines of South India

The above is just a guess. Remember that the test you took looks at DNA that gets shuffled with every generation, hence it's hard to be specific. Once again, if you have specific questions about your father's father, you will get much more information from a yDNA test on a direct male descendant of that grandfather--someone who carries his Y chromosome intact.

But so, if I were to hazard a guess right now, I would suspect that your ancestor from outside the British Isles was either Jewish or from India.
    Last edited by lgmayka; 10 May 2006, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and so promptly. I have emailed my brother and father re the results and will see if they want to explore this further.

Can I ask, are my results usual for someone of British heritage or do they clearly indicate a non Brit in the not too distance past (e.g. grandparent). Further are there more detailed tests I can take to explore this or will more info. be gained only by co-opting relatives? Also could this mix arise from only one non British Isles non parent ancestor or would the results indicate more than one person who has added to the mix, so to speak?

Many thanks for any replies!

Kirsty

Comment

Originally posted by Hauxley
        Can I ask, are my results usual for someone of British heritage or do they clearly indicate a non Brit in the not too distance past (e.g. grandparent). Further are there more detailed tests I can take to explore this or will more info. be gained only by co-opting relatives? Also could this mix arise from only one non British Isles non parent ancestor or would the results indicate more than one person who has added to the mix, so to speak?
        The only other meaningful test that you yourself could take is an mtDNA (mitochondrial DNA) test. This test looks at the small amount of genetic material that is passed down directly from mother to daughter. Unfortunately, (a) it is not as ethno-specific as the Y chromosome, and (b) it would only test your mother's mother's mother's mother etc., a heritage line that you are already pretty sure of.

I am certainly not an expert in Euro-DNA test results, so my guess may be no better than yours. But your results seem to indicate more than just 25% non-British, don't they? Do you have any Jewish ancestry, which might ordinarily appear as Middle Eastern but also as South Asian (because the ruling class of the Khazar Empire converted to Judaism in the Middle Ages) or even as southeastern European (due to intermarriage with Ukrainians or Belarusians)?

Comment

Originally posted by Hauxley
          Hi

I'm new to this and have just received my Ancestry by DNA 2.5 and Euro-DNA 1.0 results and wonder if anyone would help me make sense of it. Sorry if am posting this on the wrong board - plase feel free to re-direct me!

The 2.5 results are:
          98% European
          2% Native American

The 1.0 results are:
          31% Northern European
          26% Southeastern European
          28% Middle East
          15% South Asian
          I'm certainly no expert, but those test results seem mutually contradictory to me.

Are you 98% European or 57% European?

Are you 2% Native American or 28% Middle Eastern and 15% South Asian?

That first result, the one with 2% Native American, makes it sound as if your mysterious paternal grandfather could have been one of those motley Yanks with a little Amerindian in his ancestry.

The 1.0 result is more confusing.

My own sense of it is that if you were really 43% Asian (28% Middle Eastern + 15% South Asian) it would show up somewhere in your appearance, although I realize anomalies occur.

Do your siblings show any signs of being 28% Middle Eastern and 15% South Asian?

Comment

Thank you for the replies.

Re the tests - I gather that they do the 2.5 test to look at European, Native American, Sub Saharan African and East Asian ancestry and then if you match the European they do the 1.0 test to look at that in more detail.

The 'motley yank with a little Amerindian in his ancestry' sounds interesting. My grandmother had my father towards the end of the second WW and Americans soldiers were based nearby.

Re appearances - I look very Caucasian but am tall and well built (lets say atheletic!) and feel very at home when in America (my Dad emigrated there), in that my build does not stand out. My brother, at 6ft 6", is similar in appearance as is my half sister.

I'll keep the MtDNA test in mind but as suggested will see what interest this sparks amoungst male relatives first and yes I am pretty sure on my mother's maternal line.

The family history suggests no Jewish ancestry but that is only based on what is known and I think this elusive grandfather is the key, though do wonder if one person can have that impact on my ancester genes sufficient to indicate only 31% Northern European. It would be useful to look at the typical profiles for people assuming themselves to be Nortthern European - i.e. would they also have such spread out results? Does anyone know the best website/forum to find this out in?

Again thank you for the replies. Food for thought and great to have an opportunity to discuss this with helpful folk! Also hopefully as I discover more, the info. about the likely origins of the four European subsets and their overlaps will help me make sense of it all.

Kirsty

Comment

Working...
            X