How to set the testees name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to set the testees name

What is the procedure to reset the name of the tested person to his/her account? I have got different results when doing the ordering or swabbing for other persons. Right now I've got two kits I'm going to take with me when going to talk about DNA testing and want to show, how it is done. Frankly I think you need to change the ordering procedure so that it takes into account that more people may be involved like:
    - the person who is tested
    - the person who orders and pays for the test
    - the person who should receive the kit and do the swabbing
    - the person who should receive all communication from FTDNA
    All these may be different like when swabbing an elderly relative or a person who does not speak English or lives elsewhere or when a genealogical society is doing mass tests or ... I couldn't find any advice on this in the Learning Center.
    Thank you!

The name of the person being tested should be entered on the edge of the box below the gender selection, for example Joe Blow. The name of the person paying the bill should be entered in the billing information, for example John Henry. The shipping address name should be the name of the person being tested. If the kit is being sent to another person use Joe Blow in the name and c/o Sam Smith in the first line of the address. Messages about the kit will be sent to the first email address in the email list.

I believe this covers all of your possible conditions. In the simplest case all names would be the same and the shipping address would not be used.

Comment

Thanks Jim! I hope this info is also readily available in the Learning Center. I manage 9 kits at the moment and only the first one was "the simplest case" when I ordered tests for myself and my hubby. The trickiest was when I ordered from Finland tests for my American son-in-law's mum & uncle which my daughter was to swab while staying in the US - it ended with my daughters name on both kits. The help desk corrected the names promptly when asked, thou.

However, now I have two empty kits (TBD) which will be used on Monday in a DNA meeting where we'll do the swapping and see how the account info is updated. I didn't see how to insert the names, would you pls tell me. Thank you!

Comment

Keep in mind Gender of kits can not be edited without contacting FTDNA, Not sure if one can order genderless kits.

To change name on kit, you just log on to kit and go to My Profile > Contact info

Comment

Thanks! I tried Profile info which did not let me change the name. In Contact info it works.

Comment

@Aramnita

Yes, the issue is real.

For example, when German Post felt that there was a mismatched name, they returned a kit to FTDNA...

Nowadays, I am always ordering in the name of the person who lives at the address the kit is being sent to. If necessary, I order for Adam, but state his sex as female (or alternatively, kit is ordered for Maria, but her sex at FTDNA is male).

Then, after the kit is successfully delivered and tests are done, I am changing the kit name to whoever actually tested.

So far I had to phone FTDNA only once to change kit sex.

Mr W

Comment

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
              Keep in mind Gender of kits can not be edited without contacting FTDNA, Not sure if one can order genderless kits.

To change name on kit, you just log on to kit and go to My Profile > Contact info
              I ordered a Kit as TBD1 TBD1, male - had a female cousin use it. Had been expecting to need to do a call to Customer Service - but not necessary. She filled in the "Permission Slip", with her name and gender marked - I was there, and actually dropped Kit in the mail -- when I received the info Kit had been received (that same week!!), name had already been changed to her name and gender to Female - so at least that time, they looked and used the info on the "Permission Slip".

Comment

Working...
              X