Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Family Finder: How do I begin with making this tree??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Family Finder: How do I begin with making this tree??

    Is there a way for me to import my current raw data from my family tree from Ancestry.com into the Family Finder?

    There's no way that I can start from scratch and try to rebuild my family tree on this system.

    I've purchased the y67 and the mtFullSequence testing and I've imported my results from National Geographic.

    I have 23andMe and I have AncestryDNA. I've already imported the raw data from these two datasets into GEDcom.

    What is the best way for me to organize now moving forward?

    Thanks in advance!

  • #2
    My suggestion is that you do not try

    At this time, the implementation of trees has been altered by FTDNA, and they are in the midst of a #$%storm of complaints about it.

    The tree implementation at FTDNA has never been satisfactory, and at this time of transition, I would wait for the dust to settle.

    Building your tree with independent software is not what you want to hear, but that is always my recommendation. Having GEDCOMS to import from will always help you now and in the future, but staying independent of online Trees is your best strategy for freedom of portability.
    Last edited by clintonslayton76; 22 October 2016, 10:29 AM. Reason: additions

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by jweaving View Post
      Is there a way for me to import my current raw data from my family tree from Ancestry.com into the Family Finder?

      There's no way that I can start from scratch and try to rebuild my family tree on this system.

      I've purchased the y67 and the mtFullSequence testing and I've imported my results from National Geographic.

      I have 23andMe and I have AncestryDNA. I've already imported the raw data from these two datasets into GEDcom.

      What is the best way for me to organize now moving forward?

      Thanks in advance!
      You should be able to click on your "Tree Settings" at Ancestry under your tree and there should be an "Export Tree" button there where you can export it to your computer in Gedcom format. Then log into your FTDNA account and go to the "MyFamilyTree" and then "Upload Gedcom". Remember "raw data" is different than a Gedcom, a Gedcom is your family tree with names and dates and "raw data" is your DNA results.
      Last edited by mattn; 22 October 2016, 11:22 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        I agree that maintaining your own tree (including research notes, sources, etc.) on your own home computer, and backing it up appropriately, is the best approach for serious genealogy. This method gives you the best control over your data.

        Having said that, there is a problem with the way trees are implemented in FTDNA. If you use the options to "link" kits to your tree, presumably those links will disappear every time you upload a new GEDCOM file. The same is true for any other feature that depends on linking kits, relationships, or anything else to your tree. You would have to rebuild any such links after every upload.

        I really don't know that FTDNA had in mind, but this seems a fatal flaw in the design.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by John McCoy View Post
          I agree that maintaining your own tree (including research notes, sources, etc.) on your own home computer, and backing it up appropriately, is the best approach for serious genealogy. This method gives you the best control over your data.

          Having said that, there is a problem with the way trees are implemented in FTDNA. If you use the options to "link" kits to your tree, presumably those links will disappear every time you upload a new GEDCOM file. The same is true for any other feature that depends on linking kits, relationships, or anything else to your tree. You would have to rebuild any such links after every upload.

          I really don't know that FTDNA had in mind, but this seems a fatal flaw in the design.
          More on that particular FTDNA design flaw:
          • you are unable to have a backup of your tree;
          • you cannot reuse your work (let's say, as often happens, siblings are tested and you might want to reuse – or clone – their tree of ancestors).

          And, as always, there are some peculiarities with the GEDCOM import, so you really need to have handy the FTDNA compatible GEDCOM version.
          “maintaining your own tree (including research notes, sources, etc.) on your own home computer, and backing it up appropriately, is the best approach for serious genealogy” – John McCoy

          Mr W

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by John McCoy View Post
            I agree that maintaining your own tree (including research notes, sources, etc.) on your own home computer, and backing it up appropriately, is the best approach for serious genealogy. This method gives you the best control over your data.
            Can you (or anyone else) recommend the best software/app to use on my Mac?

            Right now I've built my tree data in Ancestry.com.

            Re: the recommended software for the Mac > would it be able to import the Ancestry.com tree?


            Re: Research notes, logging > I've seen in some reviews for PC software that the interfaces include options for recording the logs. If I don't have any of that available with the Mac option, I will have to start doing paper logs. I'm paperless now, so I'll scan the data and backup remotely/via external disks.

            Comment


            • #7
              jweaving, I use Reunion, version 10 on my Mac, and like it (current version is 11). But other Mac users prefer other programs. A good site that discusses genealogy software for both Mac and Windows is www.GenealogyTools.com. There are reviews of different programs, and tutorials. There are charts which compare features, too.

              I don't think they have reviewed Reunion 11, and they may not, because the site owner felt he was treated poorly on the Reunion forums, which is too bad. He previously had a good relationship with Leister Productions (the maker of Reunion).

              Family Tree Maker is the program that I believe has been associated with Ancestry.com. I haven't used it, and am not an Ancestry.com subscriber, so I don't know for sure if it will import your Ancestry tree. But I think it will.
              Last edited by KATM; 6 November 2016, 04:31 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by KATM View Post
                Family Tree Maker is the program that I believe has been associated with Ancestry.com. I haven't used it, and am not an Ancestry.com subscriber, so I don't know for sure if it will import your Ancestry tree. But I think it will.
                As so often happens, after making a mess of a product they took over, Ancestry dropped Family Tree Maker.

                Mackiev has taken it back over and they have been working since last May removing all of the bugs Ancestry put into it.

                See http://www.mackiev.com/ftm/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
                  As so often happens, after making a mess of a product they took over, Ancestry dropped Family Tree Maker.

                  Mackiev has taken it back over and they have been working since last May removing all of the bugs Ancestry put into it.

                  See http://www.mackiev.com/ftm/
                  MacKiev was the one doing all the previous programming for the Mac Family Tree Maker even when it was owned by Ancestry. It is a pretty good product, but I haven't used it much in the last few years and haven't tried many other competing products to be able to compare it to others.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I use RootsMagic on Windows, but they do have a Mac version. Then you can download either the free version or the $30 version, which has a few more features.

                    I'm not sure about importing from Ancestry, but there's a chat button on the page that list the features https://www.rootsmagic.com/RootsMagic/Features.aspx and they also have a mailing list where people can ask for help and discuss features.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      "FTDNA! Please, add the option "export to Gedcom". Customers need that and this is a basic for a company of this level!"
                      Where I can post this?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X