Wacky Islamic News Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wacky Islamic News Story

This story from the Arab Times speaks for itself. One step forward -- two steps back.

http://www.arabtimesonline.com/arabt...?ID=7607&cat=a

Disintegration of families feared; ‘DNA for genealogy against Sharia’

KUWAIT CITY: Using DNA fingerprinting technology to identify genealogy is against Islamic Sharia and will lead to social problems by disintegrating many families, Al-Anba quoted several Islamic preaches as saying. Dean of the Faculty of Sharia and Islamic Studies at Kuwait University Dr Mohammed Al-Tabtabaei said “Islam does not allow the use of DNA fingerprinting to prove genealogy and no family can reject any of its members based on results of such tests.” He said Islam does not allow linking the crimes of fathers to sons as each of them is accountable for his own actions, adding “although security departments can use DNA fingerprinting for issues related to national security, this technology should not be used as a tool to identify the family tree of anybody.”

Dr Ahmed Al-Hajji, a Fiqhi expert, said “if there is no other strong proof, DNA fingerprinting can be used to identify maternal relationship if two women claim to be the mother of the same child. However, this technology cannot be used to prove paternal relations.” The Islamic Juristic Group (IJG) said “DNA fingerprinting can be used only in criminal investigations and not to identify the genealogy of any one. In case of disputes over of dispute a new born baby or lost child such tests can be used to identify the parents of the child.”

To be fair, the primary purpose of this "ruling" seems to be to prevent various forms of abuse, neglect, and other family disharmony:
    ---
    "...no family can reject any of its members based on results of such tests."
    ---

Islamic leaders do not want genetic testing to spawn a spate of adultery accusations, etc.

Comment

Symbolic of how I feel

Originally posted by K. Campbell
      This story from the Arab Times speaks for itself. One step forward -- two steps back.

http://www.arabtimesonline.com/arabt...?ID=7607&cat=a

Disintegration of families feared; ‘DNA for genealogy against Sharia’

KUWAIT CITY: Using DNA fingerprinting technology to identify genealogy is against Islamic Sharia and will lead to social problems by disintegrating many families, Al-Anba quoted several Islamic preaches as saying. Dean of the Faculty of Sharia and Islamic Studies at Kuwait University Dr Mohammed Al-Tabtabaei said “Islam does not allow the use of DNA fingerprinting to prove genealogy and no family can reject any of its members based on results of such tests.” He said Islam does not allow linking the crimes of fathers to sons as each of them is accountable for his own actions, adding “although security departments can use DNA fingerprinting for issues related to national security, this technology should not be used as a tool to identify the family tree of anybody.”

Dr Ahmed Al-Hajji, a Fiqhi expert, said “if there is no other strong proof, DNA fingerprinting can be used to identify maternal relationship if two women claim to be the mother of the same child. However, this technology cannot be used to prove paternal relations.” The Islamic Juristic Group (IJG) said “DNA fingerprinting can be used only in criminal investigations and not to identify the genealogy of any one. In case of disputes over of dispute a new born baby or lost child such tests can be used to identify the parents of the child.”
      I'd tell Ali Baba I was kidnapped by pirates and raised by wolves and wanted to know where my real tribal famil was-and now I know who they are.(i never felt real close to the wolves who raised me anyway)pirates and wolves being symbolic of people who aren't very family oriented to begin with.
      Last edited by Jambalaia32; 13 June 2006, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jambalaia32
        ...pirates and wolves being symbolic of people who aren't very family oriented to begin with.
        Wolves are very family oriented.

Comment

Working...
        X