Question about relations through DNA past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about relations through DNA past

Hi. I am connecting to someone that that has the same last name that I have in my family tree and their ancestors came from the same counties in the same state as mine however, our ancestors appear to be from different branches further back. My ancestor married into this family later on. Would I connect to this family further back even if my ancestor married into the family and had children later on? Thanks so much. Carla

You'd need to give far more details before anyone could answer you.

Comment

I am connecting to a surname that would be cousins to me. My female ancestor married into this family in 1813 (she is my 3rd-great-grandfather's sister. I know their descendants are my cousins but would I connect now to the family she married into, the ancestors of her husband? I hope this makes sense.

Comment

One important bit of information you could give us to help answer your question is what is the estimate, based on the amount of shared DNA, of the relationship. Is it 4th or 5th to remote cousin or a closer estimated relationship?

Comment

5th to 8th cousins.

Comment

Originally posted by Carla View Post
            I am connecting to a surname that would be cousins to me. My female ancestor married into this family in 1813 (she is my 3rd-great-grandfather's sister. I know their descendants are my cousins but would I connect now to the family she married into, the ancestors of her husband? I hope this makes sense.
            You wouldn't be related to your 3rd great grandfather's sister's husband and his ancestors unless his family is blood related further back. You would have to trace the trees back to see. It is possible as families and neighbors tended to travel together so you will often times see multiple marriages between two families.

Comment

You answered my question. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
              X