Jewish Ancestry Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Taz85 View Post
    The best option to determine Jewish ancestry is looking through your match list. How many matches do you have? How many are Jewish? Do you match several Jewish people on a single Chromosome, or segment?
    A lot of my matches on Ancestry show European Jewish which is something that made me wonder but, I just got my FTDNA sent in so I will check those results out when they come back!

Comment

Hmmm... I am with Josh. Complicated question. I think in an Orthodox shul they would need a Jewish mother and probably a bar or bat mitzvah or Jewish upbringing. In a Reform shul the rules would probably be much less strict. But I think if your children wanted to "become Jewish" or reclaim their heritage they should discuss with the rabbi of the shul that they choose to attend. I know plenty of people who have Jewish fathers and gentile mothers who consider themselves Jewish so I think it depends on who you talk to.

Comment

Originally posted by mollyblum View Post
        Hmmm... I am with Josh. Complicated question. I think in an Orthodox shul they would need a Jewish mother and probably a bar or bat mitzvah or Jewish upbringing. In a Reform shul the rules would probably be much less strict. But I think if your children wanted to "become Jewish" or reclaim their heritage they should discuss with the rabbi of the shul that they choose to attend. I know plenty of people who have Jewish fathers and gentile mothers who consider themselves Jewish so I think it depends on who you talk to.
        That was my Ashkenazi background view. Nevertheless, it is possible that an Orthodox rabbi held a different position. His position is puzzling to me. During Biblical times a Jewish father was the usual practice. Hundreds of years later, the Mishnah required a Jewish mother. My understanding is that the new regulation was instituted to prevent Jewish males from marrying outside the religion. While that concern has only increased in modern times, I am not sure how the rabbi's position helps except at the margins.

Comment

We have reform, conservative, and orthodox here but, the orthodox rabbi is definitely not very helpful and is extremely slow to respond to us.

Comment

I got my FF test back today but I have no idea how to see if that disproves completely any jewish ancestry?? Anyone care to help. I read that if jewish ancestry is there you will have jewish cousins in your FF but I can't see how to even tell if they are jewish or what!?

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
              Others who are knowledgeable about Jewish ancestry results in genetic genealogy (josh w or Khazaria) probably should comment, but I did run your GEDmatch data through the Eurogenes Jtest for admixture. This was supposedly designed to measure Ashkenazi ancestry, but tends to be misleading. Anyone with northern European ancestry will get 3-5% Ashkenazi in this test and those with Sicilian/southern Italian ancestry will get 5-10% Ashkenazi. However, this doesn't indicate any recent Ashkenazi ancestry, according to the person who developed the calculator. According to him, only those with 25% Ashkenazi in this test actually have significant Jewish ancestry.

With that in mind, here are your results from Jtest, including the 4 population estimates:

Jtest Oracle population reference data revised 06 Nov 2012.

Admix Results (sorted):

# Population Percent
              1 ATLANTIC 26.84
              2 NORTH-CENTRAL_EURO 26.42
              3 SOUTH_BALTIC 10.57
              4 WEST_MED 10.45
              5 EAST_EURO 9.30
              6 WEST_ASIAN 6.64
              7 ASHKENAZI 5.96
              8 EAST_MED 2.50
              9 SOUTH_ASIAN 1.32

Finished reading population data. 78 populations found.
              14 components mode.

--------------------------------

Least-squares method.

Using 1 population approximation:
              1 Cornish @ 5.660026
              2 English @ 5.842535
              3 Orcadian @ 6.404851
              4 NL @ 6.450021
              5 IE @ 6.719534
              6 West_&_Central_German @ 7.118438
              7 Scottish @ 7.656596
              8 DK @ 9.123025
              9 NO @ 11.249701
              10 FR @ 11.418868
              11 South_&_Central_Swedish @ 12.183915
              12 AT @ 14.041508
              13 North_Swedish @ 16.052652
              14 PT @ 19.242542
              15 ES @ 19.544552
              16 HU @ 20.066322
              17 Serbian @ 22.122608
              18 North_Italian @ 23.204779
              19 South_Finnish @ 24.969591
              20 RO @ 25.027924

Using 2 populations approximation:
              1 50% Cornish +50% English @ 5.384826

Using 3 populations approximation:
              1 50% English +25% FR +25% Scottish @ 5.052252

Using 4 populations approximation:
              1 English + FR + IE + Orcadian @ 4.968740
              2 English + FR + IE + IE @ 4.987737
              3 English + FR + IE + Scottish @ 4.994597
              4 English + FR + Orcadian + Scottish @ 4.995115
              5 English + FR + Orcadian + Orcadian @ 4.998044
              6 FR + IE + Scottish + West_&_Central_German @ 5.045694
              7 English + English + FR + Scottish @ 5.052252
              8 FR + IE + NL + Scottish @ 5.065589
              9 FR + NL + Orcadian + Scottish @ 5.077241
              10 FR + Orcadian + Scottish + West_&_Central_German @ 5.082193
              11 English + English + FR + IE @ 5.083273
              12 FR + IE + IE + West_&_Central_German @ 5.088346
              13 English + FR + Scottish + Scottish @ 5.096066
              14 FR + Scottish + Scottish + West_&_Central_German @ 5.097277
              15 FR + IE + NL + Orcadian @ 5.097620
              16 FR + IE + IE + NL @ 5.104807
              17 FR + IE + Orcadian + West_&_Central_German @ 5.105615
              18 FR + Orcadian + Orcadian + Orcadian @ 5.106703
              19 FR + NL + Scottish + Scottish @ 5.120231
              20 English + FR + NL + Scottish @ 5.124104

Note that your Ashkenazi percentage is 5.96%, which is at the high end for those with northern European ancestry, but nowhere near a level that would give a good indication of Jewish ancestry. Also, more telling, your 3 and 4 population estimates are firmly (actually solely) northern European. (Does this correspond to your paper trail genealogy - probably British Isles and Germany?) In the 4 population estimates, not one of the top 20 estimates includes a Jewish category.

From this, it looks to me like you don't have Jewish ancestry. However, when you get your results from FTDNA, look for any percentage in myOrigins for Jewish Diaspora. If there are none, then I think that makes it clear that you don't have Jewish ancestry, at least enough that's been inherited in your DNA to show up in your results.

In myOrigins it shows:

European: 97%
              -Scandinavia: 38%
              -British Isles: 32%
              -Southern Europe: 27%

Central/South Asia: 3%
              -Centra Asia: 3%

Comment

Originally posted by ANEJI View Post
                In myOrigins it shows:

European: 97%
                -Scandinavia: 38%
                -British Isles: 32%
                -Southern Europe: 27%

Central/South Asia: 3%
                -Centra Asia: 3%
                Given what I wrote before about your Jtest results at GEDmatch, which you just quoted, and the lack of any percentage for Jewish Diaspora in your myOrigins results, it looks to me like you don't have any Jewish ancestry. At least there's no evidence of it so far.

Comment

I got my FF test back today but I have no idea how to see if that disproves completely any jewish ancestry?? Anyone care to help. I read that if jewish ancestry is there you will have jewish cousins in your FF but I can't see how to even tell if they are jewish or what!?
                  You should download your raw data from Family Finder and upload to GEDmatch.

The steps to follow next are outlined by me below.
                  http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...d=1#post430601

These steps will usually result in a binary yes or no answer to whether or not somebody has European Jewish ancestry.

Comment

Originally posted by khazaria View Post
                    You should download your raw data from Family Finder and upload to GEDmatch.
                    On second thought, don't, because that would only duplicate your other kit. I hadn't remembered your earlier post elsewhere about your AncestryDNA kit number A884352 already inside GEDmatch.

A significant portion of Ashkenazic DNA is comprised of "Southern European" elements.

Comment

I have over 1k matches but I don't recognize any names/surnames at all!?

Comment

Many of your matches will be connected to you from 5-10 generations ago or even more.

Comment

I see others saying that they have a lot of matches that are of a specific ancestry but I don't see any of that information? How can I tell how many matches I have of different ethnicities?

Comment

I see others saying that they have a lot of matches that are of a specific ancestry but I don't see any of that information? How can I tell how many matches I have of different ethnicities?
                            1. By looking at your closer matches in your MyOrigins screen
                            2. By studying your matches using GEDmatch's admixture tools especially Eurogenes
                            3. By looking at the countries your matches list in the Ancestral Surnames column.
                            4. By researching surname etymologies
                            5. By asking your matches by email

Comment

Originally posted by khazaria View Post
                              1. By looking at your closer matches in your MyOrigins screen
                              2. By studying your matches using GEDmatch's admixture tools especially Eurogenes
                              3. By looking at the countries your matches list in the Ancestral Surnames column.
                              4. By researching surname etymologies
                              5. By asking your matches by email
                              How can I use the GEDmatch tools unless they have submitted their raw data there? I uploaded this data to GEDmatch too just to see if it was the same as my Ancestry results: T798119

Comment

I have over 8000 matches and only recognize the names of three distant in-laws
                                Last edited by josh w.; 29 September 2016, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X