Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M.O'Connor
    replied
    or....theymale descendants had branched out over thousands of years and then one day people started picking names. People with different names can match.

Yes names could have been changed over time for any number reasons.
    Last edited by M.O'Connor; 15 May 2006, 06:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MAB
    replied
    I think you have to be careful relying on surnames to decide if someone might be a match because many people changed/change their names sometimes just the spelling of the name and sometimes completely changing their surnames for a multitude of reasons and then down the line the original name is forgotten.

Leave a comment:

• Lost-Sheep
    replied
    If he only matches 35/37 then I will not be too upset that he didn't respond, but if he matches 37/37 I think I will find him with a detective and show up at his door (just kidding).
    Depending on the circumstances, 35 of 37 could be very significant. I have a paternal cousin with a papertrail match and fo far, he is only 11 for 12...upgrade soon to come. I knew one gentleman who also had a paper trail yielding only 34 of 37 markers.

Just because the probability is unlikely does not mean the possibility of recent common ancestry in a meaningful genealogical era is not possible...

Leave a comment:

• Ellen K
    replied
    On the other hand....

I spent a lot of time replying to 2 emails from someone with similar results to myself. Her 2nd email indicated to me that she really didn't read my first reply very carefully. She had her own agenda. After my 2nd email she didn't even send me a 'thanks'.

It can go either way I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Judy
    replied
    Originally posted by B52
    Hello Judy,

Even though your husband matched 25/25 the chances he is related to this other man are vanishingly small. You say your husband's orphaned grandfather came out of the Ukraine. Did this other man leave clues in his email address or did he upload his data to Y-Search so that you could find out what his surname is? If the surname isn't Ukrainian you can shrink a probability that is already almost zero to be even smaller.

Someone matched me 25/25. His last name didn't match mine though. This man said he was since childhood somewhat worried that his uncle was his real father. His uncle coincidently had the same last name as I do. This man was also worried his brother was only his half brother.

The man asked if I would take the 37/37 test and he would too. He also talked his brother into testing. The uncle he was suspicious of, of course refused as he knew the truth. He & his brother matched perfectly, so the probability they were only half-brothers was almost 0. We got only a 35/37 match which told me we probably split from the same tree at least 1000 years ago and probably longer.

So you see, I am glad this man has piece of mind and no doubts and there was nothing wrong with what he did, but you should take this as an indication of how improbable it is you will be recently related to any random matches in these DNA dBs.

Best Wishes.

B52, the probability my husband and the 25/25 match have a common ancestor in the last 4 generations is 61% and in the last 8 generations the probability is 85%. If he is an Ashkenazi Jew, there is probably a good chance he is related. Unfortunately the man my husband matched did not upload his results to Y-search so we don't know anything else about him. He gave his country of origin as Poland, based on the REO data on my husband's personal page but there were parts of the Ukraine that were in Poland during certain periods of history.

I'm glad the man you matched has peace of mind now. We will know more when my husband gets his upgrade to 37 markers back (his match did the 37 marker test). If he only matches 35/37 then I will not be too upset that he didn't respond, but if he matches 37/37 I think I will find him with a detective and show up at his door (just kidding).
    Judy

Leave a comment:

• B52
    replied
    Your husband's 25 marker match

Hello Judy,

Even though your husband matched 25/25 the chances he is related to this other man are vanishingly small. You say your husband's orphaned grandfather came out of the Ukraine. Did this other man leave clues in his email address or did he upload his data to Y-Search so that you could find out what his surname is? If the surname isn't Ukrainian you can shrink a probability that is already almost zero to be even smaller.

Someone matched me 25/25. His last name didn't match mine though. This man said he was since childhood somewhat worried that his uncle was his real father. His uncle coincidently had the same last name as I do. This man was also worried his brother was only his half brother.

The man asked if I would take the 37/37 test and he would too. He also talked his brother into testing. The uncle he was suspicious of, of course refused as he knew the truth. He & his brother matched perfectly, so the probability they were only half-brothers was almost 0. We got only a 35/37 match which told me we probably split from the same tree at least 1000 years ago and probably longer.

So you see, I am glad this man has piece of mind and no doubts and there was nothing wrong with what he did, but you should take this as an indication of how improbable it is you will be recently related to any random matches in these DNA dBs.

Best Wishes.

Leave a comment:

• M.O'Connor
    replied
    I got my eye on a new Harley Davidson also...hmmm

Leave a comment:

• mari
    replied
    Hey M.O'Conner, I hope you do get a chance to go to Ireland, I understand it is a fantastic place. And if you go..in County Kilcar...you will run into a ton of my grandmas and grandads family...just outside Dunegal. To bad it isn't a part of my mtdna. Glory ,..I have lots of names and dates reguarding to them.
    mari

Leave a comment:

• M.O'Connor
    replied
    It can't be any slower than life on this Island. http://www.gov.pe.ca/visitorsguide/index.php3

Leave a comment:

• MAB
    replied
    Whether you come back or not depends on if you're really into the 70s/80s. It's a bit like stepping back in time but the one thing that never changes is how hospitable the Irish are, a wonderful people (with a mother born in Eire I think I may be biased).

Leave a comment:

• M.O'Connor
    replied
    How can you relate families links if some people don't even want to say where in the world they are? ....even a State of Province or other country would be some help.

I'm actually cosidering a trip to Ireland this year or next. A friend thinks i won't come back if I go.

It would be my trip of a life-time.

Leave a comment:

• bobr
    replied
    Originally posted by M.O'Connor
    and Liver for supper again!

He obviously knows where in the world he lives Jim. Eventually after many emails I even offered to help to do some research. I have time because I am retired. One thing I don't have is time to waste.

It was a strange meeting.
    I have had the same issue with some of my matches. If they don't have any information on their family that they can share, I think a 'courtesy' email saying so would be greatly appreciated. A response with no information is better than no response at all. Besides, what is the point of signing the release form if you are not willing to communicate with matches?
    Last edited by bobr; 4 May 2006, 03:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• M.O'Connor
    replied
    and Liver for supper again!

He obviously knows where in the world he lives Jim. Eventually after many emails I even offered to help to do some research. I have time because I am retired. One thing I don't have is time to waste.

It was a strange meeting.
    Last edited by M.O'Connor; 4 May 2006, 12:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Judy
    replied
    He said he didn't know anything about his family, and had to ask uncle tom for information.? he said i had a lot more cousins now. But that's where it ended.

We should make a spooky movie about mad transplant scientist who searches the data base for people who genetically match his high-paying clients??

And then kidnaps them, gets them drunk and takes out their kidneys?

Leave a comment:

• Jim Denning
    replied
    I gave up asking about his family after about a dozen emails replies from him. He didn't want to talk about his ancestors only mine, so I eventually told him i had no other information and i wouldn't be bothering him anymore.

my search continues....

maybe he doesnt know his..........................

Leave a comment:

Working...
X