Number of close matches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number of close matches?

Just curious how many people don't get many close matches? I tested myself, my two children and my best friend. My son, friend and myself at Ancestry and transferred to FTDNA and my young daughter only at FTDNA. My friend has some 260 4th cousins or closer at Ancestry. I have 105 and my son only has 65, none closer then 4th cousins. My children bio father is Swedish/German on his mom's side and Italian on his father's side. My son's matches are all mostly from the Swedish side. My daughter doesn't have many Swedish at all and mostly the Italian side (her complexion is very interesting when looking at her ethnicity estamite since she is much darker then my son). It's interesting how they took over more of one side each. I'm just surprised they don't have any closer matches and doesn't seem like a lot of even 4th cousins-5th cousin matches. Like I said most of my son's closer matches are all Swedish and the few I've talked to all live in Sweden still. This makes me wonder if perhaps the biological great grandmother (donors mom's mom who is the full Swedish one) family was fairly recent to America and perhaps this effects it? My children's matches are so different for being full siblings.

Originally posted by Sara291 View Post
    Just curious how many people don't get many close matches? I tested myself, my two children and my best friend. My son, friend and myself at Ancestry and transferred to FTDNA and my young daughter only at FTDNA. My friend has some 260 4th cousins or closer at Ancestry. I have 105 and my son only has 65, none closer then 4th cousins. My children bio father is Swedish/German on his mom's side and Italian on his father's side. My son's matches are all mostly from the Swedish side. My daughter doesn't have many Swedish at all and mostly the Italian side (her complexion is very interesting when looking at her ethnicity estimate since she is much darker then my son). It's interesting how they took over more of one side each. I'm just surprised they don't have any closer matches and doesn't seem like a lot of even 4th cousins-5th cousin matches. Like I said most of my son's closer matches are all Swedish and the few I've talked to all live in Sweden still. This makes me wonder if perhaps the biological great grandmother (donors mom's mom who is the full Swedish one) family was fairly recent to America and perhaps this effects it?
    That would not be unusual for people whose ancestors arrived to the USA recently.

It is only my guess, but I think Europe is the second most tested continent. However, the coverage is uneven with most of testers appearing to be from England.

My children's matches are so different for being full siblings.
    That can happen. It just means that they have different DNA.

I am assuming that in Family Finder they show as Full Siblings. If you use Chromosome Browser, then you will see how your children differ.

Mr W

Comment

Yes they match as full siblings

Comment

I manage two kits for a pair of siblings in their eighth and ninth decade.

The first has about a thousand matches in total and the second has about 1250. About 600 of these matches are in common, so it has been very helpful that the second sibling tested as it brought 600 additional matches.

A cousin who shares three grandparents with them has received his kit. It will be interesting to see how they all compare.

Comment

My daughter has only tested at FTDNA. I like the site however can't wait until she is older and can test at Ancestry. I don't think she could fill the vial needed yet. I like both sites but having both kids at both sites would be helpful since each offers different tools. My son does actually have a 1/2 sister on Ancestry who also used the same donor. They didn't respond to contact attempt but when I did shared matches they only had like 6 which surprised me. Most of the shared matches were Italian and my son seems to mostly match the Swedish line on the paternal side. I haven't really figured out how to use my daughters FTDNA test to help me since I'm mostly researching the Swedish line. People my son match more closely to with a generation gap suggestion of 4-5 my daughter doesn't match at all or is 6-7 suggested generations away. They do have a few 1/2 siblings that have yet to test. I could probably get one of the family to test if I paid for it. Most seem interested but haven't done it yet.

Comment

[----] They do have a few 1/2 siblings that have yet to test. I could probably get one of the family to test if I paid for it. Most seem interested but haven't done it yet.
            Expensive proposition, but otherwise a good idea. Especially if they share the results with you or let you administer the kit.

Mr W

Comment

Being from the old continent, the “close matches tool” can be disappointing since most users are from the USA and (comparatively) very few from Europe main continent. Such DNA tests are not very well regarded here all the more when performed in the USA, a bit sad for those making researches but we have to live with that. Be patient, your ancestors gave you DNA traceable way back in time, we can wait a bit more because it will be still there for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by LeFoeil22 View Post
                Being from the old continent, the “close matches tool” can be disappointing since most users are from the USA and (comparatively) very few from Europe main continent. Such DNA tests are not very well regarded here all the more when performed in the USA, a bit sad for those making researches but we have to live with that. Be patient, your ancestors gave you DNA traceable way back in time, we can wait a bit more because it will be still there for a while.
                LeFoeil22, can you shed some more light as to why these DNA tests are not well regarded where you are? And specifically why even less trusted, when done in the USA?

I don't know if you're willing to share what country you are in, but perhaps that has something to do with it? I know for these consumer DNA tests that awareness of, interest in, knowledge about, legal restrictions, and trust varies among the different countries in Europe (and elsewhere, for that matter).

Comment

I have no close matches that I didn't pay for the person to test. I'm an adoptee and was looking for my birthfather and without paying for people to test, I would never have been able to get any answers waiting for people to test.

All of my ancestors lived in the US by the 1900s, but many are from immigrant communities who married others from that community for several generations.

On Ancestry, I have 44 4th cousins. Some of my actual 3rd and 4th cousins are counted by ancestry as 5th to 8th, but I legitimately probably only have less than a dozen 4th cousins.

On FTDNA, I have over 50 2nd to 4th cousins and over 100 3rd to 5th cousins but they're all Ashkenazi and not really related. Ancestry filters those types of matches so you never even see them, while FTDNA makes you filter them out.

Comment

I have 2 maybe three half siblings of my children that I think would test if I paid for it. They are all interested I think but the cost is currently holding them back. Two of the children are old enough to test at Ancestry and one is still too young. I like being able to transfer and use tools from both sites. My child actually has one half siblings on Ancestry however they only share maybe 6 or so matches in common. None of the matches in common have been helpful. This specific family isn't open to contact and are not at Gedmatch or FTDNA.
                    I have a few listed 4 cousins to my children that I think might be a 3 cousin.

Comment

LeFoeil22, can you shed some more light as to why these DNA tests are not well regarded where you are? And specifically why even less trusted, when done in the USA?
                      This will lead us to an off topic here but to answer your question, people outside the USA may think that protecting their privacy rights will be more difficult if T&C are changed by FTDNA. It may be also difficult to prevent commercial uses of genetic DNA banks by insurance companies, authorities etc. In addition, local regulations (i am in France) are very strict in some countries pushing people not to do it.

Comment

Thank you for the reply, LeFoeil22. Yes, we can leave it at that, I don't want to derail the topic.

Comment

Working...
                        X