Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to share DNA outcomes with relatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to share DNA outcomes with relatives?

My DNA is being tested as we speak, and quite a few of my relatives have expressed an interest in what I'm doing (not that I have much of a clue just yet ).

I'd like to keep these and other relatives informed: initial results of my DNA test; matches with cousins none may have heard of; etc. Who knows - I may be able to convince them to have their DNA tested too .

So to my question: what is the best way of keeping these relatives updated? Have others created a blog (and if so which platform did you use)? Should I encourage them to create an account on GEDmatch? Can I give them read-only access to my records on FTDNA? What have others found useful to keep their relatives interested in what they are doing?

TIA ... John.

My brother created a "secret group" on Facespace, or whatever that big social network place is.

I use that to post up general information, like my haplogroup, or notifications about sales on tests.

I know people read it; they just don't comment much. (Online.)

Just 1 option. I'm interested in what other folks have done.

Comment

I don't have a good way to do this- but I have emailed or called the people I test with my own summary of results. I find that most are i terested i the ethnicity results. That lead me to creati g a spreadsheet of my origins calculations and several calculators at gedmatch. They love looking at the results. I also copy the myorigins map for them. No- you cannot give view only access. But hou can share the loggin with someone hou feel sace shari g it with. Gedmatch won't work either if hour kit is already uploaded to your account - but again you can share hours if you feel safe doing so. Blogs. Facebook, or emaila work well

Comment

Originally posted by jsarnacki View Post
        I don't have a good way to do this- but I have emailed or called the people I test with my own summary of results. I find that most are i terested i the ethnicity results. That lead me to creati g a spreadsheet of my origins calculations and several calculators at gedmatch. They love looking at the results. I also copy the myorigins map for them. No- you cannot give view only access. But hou can share the loggin with someone hou feel sace shari g it with. Gedmatch won't work either if hour kit is already uploaded to your account - but again you can share hours if you feel safe doing so. Blogs. Facebook, or emaila work well
        It is true that the interest would be mostly in the results from My Origins. Luckily that is fairly easy to be copied into a blog. You should reference FTDNA description of populations used by My Origins.

Just one tip. You may not have Photoshop skills or you may not want to spend time with it, but nevertheless you should not post real names. Before taking a snapshot, temporarily change the name on the kit. Use something generic, but unambiguous to your readers, like Uncle Adam, Aunt Barbara, Cousin Leon etc. Afterwards revert to whatever meaningful name kit is using.

The same with your blog. Try to stick to let's say Cousin Leon, and do not use your full name.

Why? You can do with your DNA whatever you want. It is yours. However, you are sharing it with other people who cannot control what is being published.

Good luck in getting your family involved!

Mr W

Comment

First, sorry for all the typos in my previous reply! That is what I get for posting from my phone at 1am haha.

Yes, protect confidentiality! That is why I stick to verbal, e-mail, and spreadsheets. I am considering doing something online myself, however I personally only plan to make whatever I use available to those who tested (my kids, husband, parents, grandparents, and sibling). I do not test other extended family because I don't want the responsibility keeping their kits. You never know if you test someone who doesn't really understand what they are doing (even if they claim they do) and won't get upset about something later!

Comment

Working...
          X