Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Goofy Question Perhaps

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A Goofy Question Perhaps

    This may be a goofy question.

    Does anyone know if there is any significance to the sweep of the hair at the back of the neck?

    My hair sweeps very distinctively to the left side at the back of my neck. This is true of other members of my family, but it is certainly not true for most people - I look.

    I lived in Russia for a short while, and it seemed to me I saw more men there whose hair had the same sweep as mine does than I see in the USA.

    Ignore this whole thing if it seems stupid.

    But I noticed this hair thing many many years ago and have always wondered if there was anything to it, at least that anyone else has noticed and written about.

    ???

  • #2
    I haven't heard anyone mention hair traits myself... though there was some talk about a bump on the back of the skull linked to Anatolia Black Sea area or something. Other people questioned teeth traits as being linked to specific groups. Lots of questions have been asked.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by M.O'Connor
      I haven't heard anyone mention hair traits myself... though there was some talk about a bump on the back of the skull linked to Anatolia Black Sea area or something. Other people questioned teeth traits as being linked to specific groups. Lots of questions have been asked.
      I don't have that "Anatolian Bump" or the Amerindian "shovel teeth."

      I haven't been able to find anything on the internet about the growth pattern or sweep of the hair at the back of the neck either, so it's probably something to which no one has paid much attention.

      It is interesting, though. Ever since I noticed this phenomenon, I have looked at the hair pattern at the backs of the necks of those with hair short enough to allow me to see it (exciting life, eh?). There seem to be just a few patterns.

      I wondered if anyone else has noticed this.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Stevo
        I don't have that "Anatolian Bump" or the Amerindian "shovel teeth."

        I haven't been able to find anything on the internet about the growth pattern or sweep of the hair at the back of the neck either, so it's probably something to which no one has paid much attention.

        It is interesting, though. Ever since I noticed this phenomenon, I have looked at the hair pattern at the backs of the necks of those with hair short enough to allow me to see it (exciting life, eh?). There seem to be just a few patterns.

        I wondered if anyone else has noticed this.
        We understand your concern, Steve.
        You have to keep busy with something while your hear about your results !

        Comment


        • #5
          There was a recently released study on the correspondence between the direction of hair whorls and handedness (clockwise-counterclockwise and left/right-handedness) - conclusion was they are driven by the same genetic mechanism. If you are interested in that, you might "google it."

          Tom

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tomcat
            There was a recently released study on the correspondence between the direction of hair whorls and handedness (clockwise-counterclockwise and left/right-handedness) - conclusion was they are driven by the same genetic mechanism. If you are interested in that, you might "google it."

            Tom
            I saw that, as a matter of fact.

            I have the typical clockwise pattern for that.

            What I have in mind is the hair pattern at the back of the neck. I haven't been able to find anything on it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Victor
              We understand your concern, Steve.
              You have to keep busy with something while your hear about your results !
              Bingo!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Stevo
                This may be a goofy question.

                Does anyone know if there is any significance to the sweep of the hair at the back of the neck?

                My hair sweeps very distinctively to the left side at the back of my neck. This is true of other members of my family, but it is certainly not true for most people - I look.

                I lived in Russia for a short while, and it seemed to me I saw more men there whose hair had the same sweep as mine does than I see in the USA.

                ???
                I believe it's related to therianthropy

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DMac
                  I believe it's related to therianthropy
                  I have to look that word up before I know whether or not to feel insulted!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DMac
                    I believe it's related to therianthropy
                    Therianthropy is a generic term for any transformation of a human into an animal form, either as a part of mythology or as a spiritual concept. The word is derived from Greek therion, meaning "wild animal," and anthrōpos, meaning "man."
                    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therianthropy
                    Well, all right then.

                    I can live with that.

                    But I'm going to tell on you, DMac, when I find out what my Y-Haplogroup is!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Stevo
                      But I'm going to tell on you, DMac, when I find out what my Y-Haplogroup is!
                      Are you threatening an I1a?

                      Where about in Virginia are you? I'm down in Chesterfield County.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DMac
                        Are you threatening an I1a?
                        Nope. Wouldn't dream of it.

                        I don't even know my own haplogroup yet, but there is at least one of my family lines that is I1a (don't know about all of them, of course).

                        Originally posted by DMAC
                        Where about in Virginia are you? I'm down in Chesterfield County.
                        I'm in Stafford County, not far from Fredericksburg.

                        I ride the VRE every morning into the DC area to work. Too expensive to live up there. (It's getting too expensive to live down here!)

                        Speaking of riding the train, yesterday, on my way home, I saw a bald eagle circling the Potomac River. Beautiful.

                        I love Virginia!
                        Last edited by Stevo; 29 April 2006, 08:43 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I am interested in this as well. I am a female, and I have noticed that when I put my hair up, the hair on the back of my neck doesn't just go across. It forms what I like to call a reverse-widow's peak. I have a widow's peak as well. No cowlicks.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Elistariel
                            I am interested in this as well. I am a female, and I have noticed that when I put my hair up, the hair on the back of my neck doesn't just go across. It forms what I like to call a reverse-widow's peak. I have a widow's peak as well. No cowlicks.
                            Can you explain that a bit more?

                            Where my head hair ends at the back of my neck, it sweeps to the left, in a sort of curve (Like this: ~ , but with more on the left and without the right side coming down so far). I have noticed this pattern in others, but most people seem to have a more symmetrical pattern, with the hair centered on a sort of peak down the middle of the neck. Others have twin peaks, one on the right and one on the left side of the neck.

                            As I said before before, when I lived in Russia (I taught English in Moscow), it seemed to me I saw more men with a pattern like mine than I see in the USA.

                            I'm not sure it means anything.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              My hair is straight across at the back. It isn't cut that way..my hair is long.

                              Do ya got the head bump at the back?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X