Autosomal DNA, Ancestrybydna 2.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autosomal DNA, Ancestrybydna 2.5

Yesterday I recieved an email from an Ph.d for the www.NCBI.Gov, I asked him if the "SNP Blast" program would run Autosomal DNA, like from Ancestrybydna 2.5, and he said "sure"
    Has anyone done this and have you check your "population" what do you think about it

Hi,
    I've literally just sent off for the kit, just waiting for it now...I'll keep you posted! Whats the SNP bast program?

Comment

Originally posted by burto
      Hi,
      I've literally just sent off for the kit, just waiting for it now...I'll keep you posted! Whats the SNP bast program?
      its a U.S. Government web site for DNA, I guess, it run's everything, what will happen you'll get your results, which is your Autosomal DNA, not Y-dna or Mtdna, but Autosomal DNA,
      take your results "copyandpaste" them into the SNP Blast program, (its the SNP Blast).
      in yahoo search (NCBI.Gov), it'll come up.
      Ive emailed the companies that I ordered the Ancestrybydna 2.5 and asked them about that NCBI, because they refer to them in the Results you'll recieve, they said, no the blast program won't, but I contacted the NCBI.gov and got an email from their "Ph'd" and he said, "no problem" it will run autosomal dna ,run it, and it has an haplomaps
      what you'll get when you do, is the "populations" that your Autosomal DNA matchs up too, like African American and the like, its' pretty interesting.
      thats what you want right to find out your breakdown "population Group"
      you'll get a whole lot more than you think, pretty interesting web site, its pretty large amount of info
      I can't really use y-dna or mtdna testing, all my relatives are dead and I would have to exhume them, so I use every thing I find
      hopes this helps
      I could be ALL wrong, but the Ph'd guy runs it, and he works for the Gov,
      and the data I got back, matches every dna test Ive taken and then some

Comment

AncestryByDNA 2.5 uses 175/350 (biallelic) SNP markers, most of which are proprietary, in order to reach their determination of percentages of ancestry.

Your ABDNA results are, for the most part, in their proprietary nomenclature - you can't take their markers and search any other SNP databases for additional information about them because their names will not be correctly recognized by any other database. The proprietary SNP's are in the genotype.pdf in the ABDNA results CD.

The exception are nine SNP's that are in the public domain and are in the sequences.pdf - all have an rs prefix. These markers could be researched in other databases.

The 13/26 (biallelic) STR markers used by DNAtribes are in the public domain and can be further researched in several databases.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat
          AncestryByDNA 2.5 uses 175/350 (biallelic) SNP markers, most of which are proprietary, in order to reach their determination of percentages of ancestry.

Your ABDNA results are, for the most part, in their proprietary nomenclature - you can't take their markers and search any other SNP databases for additional information about them because their names will not be correctly recognized by any other database. The proprietary SNP's are in the genotype.pdf in the ABDNA results CD.

The exception are nine SNP's that are in the public domain and are in the sequences.pdf - all have an rs prefix. These markers could be researched in other databases.

The 13/26 (biallelic) STR markers used by DNAtribes are in the public domain and can be further researched in several databases.

Tom
          All I have is the nine sequences in the pdf file. Thats the one's Im writing about the ones with the rs prefix. they are the only ones I run, and they like I write Are in the NCBI date base, the web has STR Profile Search the ones DNAtribes use, I have those results too.
          Both those test with the "SNP Sequences and the STR profile can be search, I have no Idea what to make of those genotype markers, what use are they too me, seem's like a waste, if can't check
          tomcat, what test would I need to take, if I can't take the y-dna or the mtdna test, because the one Im looking for is my fathers mother (grandmother) and the y-dna or the mtdna won't hook up with my father's Mother (grandmother), all my family dead

Comment

At present, the only possible way of getting a DNA reading on a paternal grandmother, or a maternal grandfather, or any ancestor not on the direct paternal or maternal line, is by contacting distant relatives and getting them tested with the tests currently available.

You need to find relatives of your paternal grandmother - great aunts and uncles and their children. You need some paper genealogy just to identify such relatives.

Tom

BTW what were your results from DNAtribes - were you matched to any American Indian communities?

Comment

... and why not take the yDNA and mtDNA tests yourself? I think it more- likely-than-not that a person with one identified American Indian ancestor has others as well. Think about that.

And even if those tests don't turn-up American Indian haplogroups, knowing the ethnicity, especially of your paternal line, can help guide your search for genealogical records.

Tom

Comment

This is the test I had in 2006. I came up 17% Native American.

Darren: please don't delete or modify my posts and threads anymore.

Comment

Working...
                X