Which Test?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Test?

My mother's father may have been native American through his mother. Which test should I order?

Thanks.

Family Finder is the test you want, though I feel obligated to let you know that (for a number of possible reasons) most family stories of American Indian ancestry are not supported by DNA evidence.

Comment

Can I order a Family Finder Test for my brother while SNP results are still "Pending" ?

I do not want to do anything to delay those results

Comment

Yes you can.

Comment

Thank you for replying

Comment

Originally posted by Cody View Post
            My mother's father may have been native American through his mother. Which test should I order?

Thanks.
            Cody, I agree that Family Finder is the way to go for you, and if your mother or grandfather are still living and can test, have them test as well for this purpose (the closer generations will have more Native American DNA, if it exists).

But another line of investigation could be through that great-grandmother's mtDNA (and there's a bunch of "ifs" to that):
            • IF you have genealogical evidence that shows that your maternal grandfather's mother's direct maternal line was Native American (not through her father, for example; ONLY your great-grandmother's mother's mother's line), and
            • IF this great-grandmother had any sisters or daughters, then,
            • IF you wanted to, and had the money to spare, you could do an mtDNA test on one of them or a direct female descendant of them (known second or more cousins to you in that line, or 1st cousin once removed and more to your mother). A male son of such a female descendant would qualify also, but that would be the only way a male would have the same mtDNA.

You must track any female descendants of this great-grandmother in order for this to work. It would show Native American ancestry if their mt haplogroup was one of those known to be one found in Native Americans (A, B, C, D and X).

Comment

@Cody, yes, mtDNA might give you the cofirmation you want

@Cody, please take into account advice given to you by user KATM

Mr W

Comment

Thank you all. That clarifies a lot.

Comment

Well, I uploaded my raw ancestry.com data. I am part NA. Interesting stuff.

Comment

Working...
                  X