X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• haplogroupc
    replied
    Originally posted by lgmayka
    If you upgrade to 25 or 37 markers, you will get a much clearer picture.

I myself am of Polish descent. At 12 markers, my closest match was someone in Romania (!). At 25 markers, my three closest matches (20/25) in the Ysearch database were all Polish, spread across that country. At 37 markers, my three closest matches (31/37) in that same database were all clustered around the Carpathian mountains in southeastern Poland (although one of the three was actually on the other side of the border, in Ukraine).
    lgmayka,

Have you taken the DNA Tribes test? My relative took it and got quite a few Polish matches. This was a huge surprise. I'm curious to know if people who know they are Polish get the same results or if the test is off.

Leave a comment:

• M.O'Connor
    replied
    There is a Polish DNA Group
    http://www.ftdna.com/surname_join.as...projecttype=DG

a Viking project
    http://www.ftdna.com/surname_sum.asp...&projecttype=G

Leave a comment:

• lgmayka
    replied
    If you upgrade to 25 or 37 markers, you will get a much clearer picture.

I myself am of Polish descent. At 12 markers, my closest match was someone in Romania (!). At 25 markers, my three closest matches (20/25) in the Ysearch database were all Polish, spread across that country. At 37 markers, my three closest matches (31/37) in that same database were all clustered around the Carpathian mountains in southeastern Poland (although one of the three was actually on the other side of the border, in Ukraine).

Leave a comment:

• M.O'Connor
    replied
    Maybe you will need more than 12 numbers. 12 seems very basic.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic R1a Viking or Polish?

R1a Viking or Polish?

Does anyone know if there are SPECIFIC MARKERS that can distinguish an R1a Haplogroup from Norwegian vs. Polish? We read a lot about R1a that if it's found in England it is Viking but wouldn't this R1a type have exact markers found in Norway? My family is trying to weed through this science to make an educated assumption as to whether we are English or Polish. Could we make some conclusion comparing our R1a markers to that of a Viking Modal Type vs. Polish/Eastern European? The dilemma is that our paternal grandfather is of English descent but we feel that our biological grandfather is Eastern European. We did the dna to find answers but what did it come back as...R1a of course; so we are no closer to an answer than before. (There is NO other male relative to test against to definitively say our grandfather is in fact our BIOLOGICAL grandfather). Another site shows our 12 markers as being the 4th highest ranking haplogroup in Lublin, Poland--it also claims that our markers "are found only in Poland with 1 in Hungary and 1 in Estonia). Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Cox; 18 April 2006, 01:11 PM.
Working...
X