Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yDNA and mtDNA kit dilemma

Greetings,
    I have attempted to contact FTDNA via the helpdesk email, which directed me back to the website's internal support module. Still, to no avail. It is my hope that the more active (and probably more dedicated) forum community can be of better help.

My Mother ordered a yDNA test for my Father (and subsequently me) under a discount for DNA day or something. While ordering, we decided to take further advantage of the promotion and bought a mtDNA test as well, intended for my maternal Grandmother. My Mother purchased the kit up front, and now the FTDNA account is in her name; although, she is not being tested.

I was even further confused when the kit arrived in the mail with no indication as to what it was testing (yDNA or mtDNA.) There is two swabs in the kit but am I to expect another test in the mail? Which one is which, and how can I indicate which test to send to my Father or Grandmother? The parcel delivered has no information on what to do about any of this, just instructions on how to collect a sample. I am apprehensive that the hundreds of dollars spent on this kit will become wasted due to the lack of direction I have at this point.

Of course, the obvious solution would be to take the test myself, as I am the link to both my maternal Grandmother and my Father. That would be far from ideal, though, because I am generations behind and therefore would have less accurate (or at least less precise) results.

Thank you for any information or guidance.
    - Ryan

Kit contains 2 swabs, each swab is to be used for the same person.

You can not combine to separate peoples test under 1 kit number.

Your mothers should have received and email confirmation with kit number and password. You can then use kit number and password to log onto account and go to order history. This will tell you which kit number goes to which test.

Each person testing will have their own kit number and swab kit contain two vials each for samples.

Your best bet is to phone FTDNA to get the order straightened out and a secondary kit issued for the mtDNA test if both mtDNA and yDNA are listed on the same kit number.

Or since it is your maternal grandmothers mtDNA and your fathers YDNA you can just submit sample your self as you will be a carrier for both.
    But it is better to test the oldest generations in case you carrier recent mutations that could skew results.
    I would phone and get them to get a second kit, due to fact it will be more benefical to you for future testing to have your Grandmothers and fathers DNA on file. You only carry 50% of fathers DNA, and approximately only 25% of each Grandparent

you can change the name of account by logging onto it and going into settings and edit profile

FTDNA phone number
    713-868-1438
    monday to thursday 9am to 4:30 CST
    Friday 9am to Noon CST
    Last edited by prairielad; 10 May 2016, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
      Kit contains 2 swabs, each swab is to be used for the same person.

You can not combine to separate peoples test under 1 kit number.

Your mothers should have received and email confirmation with kit number and password. You can then use kit number and password to log onto account and go to order history. This will tell you which kit number goes to which test.

Each person testing will have their own kit number and swab kit contain two vials each for samples.

Your best bet is to phone FTDNA to get the order straightened out and a secondary kit issued for the mtDNA test if both mtDNA and yDNA are listed on the same kit number.

Or since it is your maternal grandmothers mtDNA and your fathers YDNA you can just submit sample your self as you will be a carrier for both.
      But it is better to test the oldest generations in case you carrier recent mutations that could skew results.
      I would phone and get them to get a second kit, due to fact it will be more benefical to you for future testing to have your Grandmothers and fathers DNA on file. You only carry 50% of fathers DNA, and approximately only 25% of each Grandparent

you can change the name of account by logging onto it and going into settings and edit profile

FTDNA phone number
      713-868-1438
      monday to thursday 9am to 4:30 CST
      Friday 9am to Noon CST
      Thank you, but I already tried email and phone support from FTDNA, which is why I am posting here. I already considered testing myself, but that is a last resort. I appreciate your help, but I am seeking advice beyond the obvious, as stated in the original post.
      Since I will be the person administering the results, I have already tried to change the account to my name, to no avail. What I do gather from your reply is that each test should have a dedicated kit number. I will continue to reach out to FTDNA to see if they will issue a second kit and assign one to the Y and one to the MT test. If they are willing to comply (which I have my doubts about), perhaps they can then change the account name(s).
      Wish me luck.

- RR

Comment

Hello,

If you want to send me a private message with your helpdesk ticket number (or the email address used when filling out the form) I would be happy to help.

-Darren
        Family Tree DNA

Comment

Working...
        X