Questions about the MyOrigins map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about the MyOrigins map

I have a very well sourced and documented family tree so my test results for my origins was mostly what I expected except for a few things. My map shows 8% Eastern European which I have no records of in my family tree data going back to the 1600's. How far back is this 8%? Does it go back to some early migration?

Also I have a branch of ancestors through my mother who came from the Benelux region of Belgium and Luxembourg but my map shows mostly British Isles where the edge of the shades area barely touches this area on the map. Am I to assume the map is a bit inaccurate?

One last thing. I am 1/8 Japanese and the MyOrigins map shows this huge area of eastern Asia which includes Japan, Korea, China, the eastern half of Russia and even Kazikstan and much of south and western Asia. Sure seems like a big map, am I to assume that the DNA is pretty widespread for my DNA in this area?

Originally posted by Chrisinhouston View Post
    One last thing. I am 1/8 Japanese and the MyOrigins map shows this huge area of eastern Asia which includes Japan, Korea, China, the eastern half of Russia and even Kazikstan and much of south and western Asia. Sure seems like a big map, am I to assume that the DNA is pretty widespread for my DNA in this area?
    The East Asian race is indeed widely dispersed throughout Asia, even into northeast India (the Bengali-American Razib Khan who developed MyOrigins has minority East Asian admixture) and Kazakhstan and northeastern Russia, so the map reflects that reality nicely, but the reference samples for the "Northeast Asian" component in MyOrigins are specifically 147 Japanese and 15 Korean samples.

Japanese and Koreans are among the very best populations to base this element on, since many of the other East Asian peoples are mixed. For example, while Yakuts, Mongolians, Kyrgyz, and Kazakhs are majority Northeast Asian they have amounts of Caucasoid ancestry too. Even tribes in southeastern Siberia near China and North Korea commonly have 4% or more Caucasoid.

Cambodians and Filipinos together form MyOrigins' "Southeast Asian" component.
    Last edited by khazaria; 6 May 2016, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks, that explains that part! Unfortunately I have found it difficult to research this Asian branch of my family as little was known of her family when she married my great grandfather who was British. I only can find information on Japanese ancestry for those Japanese Americans who were interred during WWII and she was not a part of that.

Comment

Working...
      X