Brother's matches I don't match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brother's matches I don't match

My brother and I have both tested at 23andme. He has matches for his dna that I don't. How can that be? He and I match so it's not because we aren't closely related.

You and your brother each got a random half of the DNA of both of your parents. There will be many, many distant matches, probably more distant than 3rd cousins, that have a piece of DNA that your brother got but you didn't, and an equal number of matches with the reverse situation. In these cases, there is usually only one significant segment shared, or maybe two. For closer relatives, the odds of matching only one sibling are much lower, and the number of shared segments longer than about 10 cM is larger.

Comment

Brother's matches I don't match

Thank you, I understand now. So the closer the match, the more likely the person would match both of us.

Comment

Originally posted by BevSpra View Post
        Thank you, I understand now. So the closer the match, the more likely the person would match both of us.
        Not necessarily. My paternal cousin and I both match our paternal aunt, but not quite with the same number of segments (I have more than he does). We do not always match the same people, even the in common withs. As an example, Auntie and I match my brother in law (very odd), but cousin does not.

Comment

Working...
        X