Extra help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra help

I'm considering looking having someone help me sort all the info I've gathered on my children's test results. I've been in touch with a few distant cousins who quickly can give me way more info by looking at the same thing. I've done Ancestry DNA on myself and son, transferred to Famiky Tree DNA. I've also done the Y-DNA test on my son and got those results back today. Not a lot of matches but it's a start. I've also uploaded my info to Gedmatch. Paid to join a Y-DNA Haplogroup for the one recommended based off the YDNA results (though I don't understand that yet). I see Ancestry DNA has hired expert help which ice contacted but haven't heard back does. Anyone know of any other companies that help? I can't spend thousands . . I'm just hoping to hire some very knowledgeable people or company to look over what I have and just get me started more in the right direction or see if they see anything that stands out that I don't or what things though Family Tree DNA I should buy. I don't see the point in a bigger marker test for YDNA since I bought 37 but they only found 25 I believe and I got 10 or 11 results from that test. I bought the Haplogroup for the one they recommended but there seems to be so many add on suggested things with in the Haplogroup.

It depends on what you want to do- if you are more interested in genealogy, focus on that first. Another way to make some sense of the information DNA-wise is to focus on one child. If all of your children are related (not adopted, etc), just take the information on one of them to a professional.

Comment

Sarah, Roberta Estes can be contacted at: www.dnaexplain.com
      She can help you or point you in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Sara291 View Post
        Paid to join a Y-DNA Haplogroup for the one recommended based off the YDNA results (though I don't understand that yet).
        I bought the Haplogroup for the one they recommended but there seems to be so many add on suggested things with in the Haplogroup.
        I hope you just made a mistake here. You don't pay to join a haplogroup project. Those are free. What I think you meant is that you paid to take an SNP test, an SNP pack, or the Big Y. Those are types of tests all to find specific mutations in the Y chromosome. It helps to narrow matches depending on your situation. It also helps with deep ancestry research. If you join a haplogroup project, you can get help and advice from the admins.

Basically researching which SNP branches people belong to is sort of like a different type of family tree. Instead of names of relatives, they have a series of letters and numbers for SNP names. The only one that could potentially (only if other relatives from the same paternal line tested) help with genealogy is the Big Y. If you took a single SNP test or a SNP Pack, those won't help with genealogy for the most part. They will just give you clues to deep ancestry if many others have taken that same test.

Originally posted by Sara291 View Post
        I don't see the point in a bigger marker test for YDNA since I bought 37 but they only found 25 I believe and I got 10 or 11 results from that test.
        Do you mean to say that you tested with 37 STR markers but had no matches at that level and instead had matches at the 25 marker level? If this is the case, then yeah testing more most likely would not help. If you had matches at the 37 level, testing higher could narrow down which were more meaningful matches (closer matches).

Sometimes if there are too many differences, a match won't appear in a marker level. For example say you had a match that showed up in the 12 STR level. Then you notice that match does not appear in the 25 but does appear in the 37. Situations like that is why some encourage you to test higher in case there are matches that barely got cutoff the STR level you tested at.

Since you claim (I think?) that you have no matches at the 37 STR level, then SNP testing such as Big Y will likely not give you any useful information for genealogy.

What you could do is get some names from the matches from your children's bio-father's side and find other trees on Ancestry with those same names. Not everyone who has a tree there has bothered to take DNA tests. So you may find leads to people that are from that same side. Contact them and find more leads. Confirming what you find by getting them to test when it makes sense like if you think you found someone close to that bio-father's family.

Comment

Working...
        X