Ydna testing for brothers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ydna testing for brothers

My father is deceased. One of my brothers too the Ydna test for me to help with a brick wall in my father's paternal line. Would it help if another brother with the same father also took the Ydna test? My understanding is that the Y-chromosome is passed from father to son. This leads me to believe that having another brother tested would not have any additional value. Is this true, or is there some other value that I am unaware of? Thank You. Ruth Brooks

You're correct. There would be no value in having a second brother test his yDNA. Their results would be the same or almost the same.

If the brick wall in your father's line is fairly recent, then you may want to consider testing some combination of your brothers and yourself with the Family Finder test. By fairly recent, I mean that the brick wall is no more than two or three generations before your father.

With yDNA results, you may have some matches that point toward a specific surname for your father's paternal line. By adding autosomal matches, you may find close matches (2nd cousin or closer) who have that surname in their family tree. That may help you hone in a specific man who was the unknown biological father.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruth Brooks View Post
      My father is deceased. One of my brothers too the Ydna test for me to help with a brick wall in my father's paternal line. Would it help if another brother with the same father also took the Ydna test? My understanding is that the Y-chromosome is passed from father to son. This leads me to believe that having another brother tested would not have any additional value. Is this true, or is there some other value that I am unaware of? Thank You. Ruth Brooks
      Did the younger or older son test? As men age mutations are more apt to show up in their children.

In one of my projects a man and hie two sons tested. The youngest son is a genetic distance of 2 at 37 markers from his father and his brother. The brothers are 4 years apart in age.

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
        You're correct. There would be no value in having a second brother test his yDNA. Their results would be the same or almost the same.

If the brick wall in your father's line is fairly recent, then you may want to consider testing some combination of your brothers and yourself with the Family Finder test. By fairly recent, I mean that the brick wall is no more than two or three generations before your father.

With yDNA results, you may have some matches that point toward a specific surname for your father's paternal line. By adding autosomal matches, you may find close matches (2nd cousin or closer) who have that surname in their family tree. That may help you hone in a specific man who was the unknown biological father.

Thanks for the reply! My brick wall is 5 generations back from my father. I have had one Ydna match who shares our paternal surname (FIELD) which is encouraging. He matches to both of us (and my father's sister) on Ancestry, as well. I have the lineage of the Ydna match, and research proves that his line and mine settled in the same area.

Your information has been very helpful to me! Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
          Did the younger or older son test? As men age mutations are more apt to show up in their children.

In one of my projects a man and hie two sons tested. The youngest son is a genetic distance of 2 at 37 markers from his father and his brother. The brothers are 4 years apart in age.
          VERY interesting! Yes, it was my oldest brother who tested. Thanks for the reply. I am off to learn more about mutations.

Comment

Working...
          X