Finding my Native family. <3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding my Native family. <3

I am of Black and Native heritage, always knew of my maternal great grandmother whose name was Chief, still decided to do a DNA test, and it returned Native and Asiatic results. Native in 1% and Asia with 3% . Always good to know that the stories are actually true!

Decided to look a little further, and discovered her siblings through traditional genealogy!

Their names were Leola, Badger, James and Judie.

The name "Badger" stuck out to me immediately, much like my great grandmother's name, it seemed so different and weird. So I decided to look it up, and the Badger is actually an animal that the Natives hold in very high regard.

http://www.godchecker.com/pantheon/n...p?deity=BADGER

Also, found that Leola is a name meaning "prairie flower" to the Natives. I couldn't figure out why my great grandmother was named Chief, but my ASSUMPTION is that, since she was the firstborn, her parents named her this because they knew they would have more kids, and that she'd be their leader.

Again, this is an ASSUMPTION. Obviously my great great grandparents aren't here for me to chat about this with them. LOL. But this is absolutely amazing.

I reached out to my grandmother and she confirmed the names I found. She recognized the names of her aunties and uncles! I was kind of surprised, because my grandmother never really talks about her heritage, but she's one of the few people who can actually name the relatives who are Native in her family. I guess it's not such a big deal when you just see them as mom, grandma, auntie and uncle. But for me it's amazing! LOL!!!!!

have you gotten your grandma dna tested?

Comment

Originally posted by crossover View Post
      have you gotten your grandma dna tested?
      No, my grandmother really doesn't have the desire. She really knows who she is. She doesn't talk about her heritage much but she wasn't shocked about anything I found in my own results and research. lol Neither was any of my other family members.

I guess I was the one person in the family who wanted proof of some sort. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Herb. View Post
        No, my grandmother really doesn't have the desire. She really knows who she is.
        It does not necessarily have to be for her. I tested relatives including some grandparents. They didn't have the interest in this like I do, but were willing to help me out with the tests I bought for them to take. When working with these types of DNA tests, it helps to test the oldest living relatives you have.

You only get about half of your DNA from each of your parents, so you have more or less a quarter of what your grandmother has in her. So I tested older relatives to have more leads to follow. I should clarify, that I use their tests for the cousin matches, not the ethnicity estimates which I don't really care about.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb. View Post
          No, my grandmother really doesn't have the desire. She really knows who she is. She doesn't talk about her heritage much but she wasn't shocked about anything I found in my own results and research. lol Neither was any of my other family members.

I guess I was the one person in the family who wanted proof of some sort. LOL!
          like what that other person said, you should tell your grandma that dna does more predict ethnicity, it also helps find more dna matches, since you didn't inherit all your dna from her and such

Comment

Working...
          X