39 centimorgans ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 39 centimorgans ?

I have another match that says my son and this match share 39 centimorgans across 3 DNA segments. I'm guessing 4th cousin? It says predicted relationship is 4th cousin but then says possible range is 4-6th cousins. So this person I assume share a several back great grandparent with my son. Does that sound correct? Perhaps I can just look at several
    Of the 4-6 cousin matches and if they have a tree available just look for Surname matches and see if I pull some info from all this.

Sorry for the basic questions. Slowly getting the hang of this.

I've tested at 23andMe and AncestryDNA and uploaded my AncestryDNA results to FTDNA. Given that 23andMe and FTDNA give customers a chromosome browser, I have a pretty good handle on what the amount of shared cMs and segments indicate for a relationship at those two. AncestryDNA uses a different and supposedly superior algorithm that allows them to get rid of IBS (identical by state) segments and count smaller segments as IBD (identical by descent). Given that and the fact that they don't have a chromosome browser to analyze shared DNA, I can't judge very well how shared cMs/number of segments at AncestryDNA line up with estimated relationship.

So, I'll just report what paper trail proven 3rd cousins and 3rd cousins, once removed share with me at AncestryDNA.

3rd cousin - 100 cM, 5 segments
    3rd cousin - 100 cM, 4 segments
    3rd cousin - 84 cM, 4 segments
    3rd cousin, once removed - 40 cM, 3 segments
    3rd cousin, once removed - 32 cM, 1 segment
    3rd cousin, once removed - 23.1 cM, 1 segment

The three 3rd cousins, once removed are brothers to each other and the first and second 3rd cousin are their aunt and uncle. So, five of the six are descendants of the same common ancestors with me, my great-grandparents.

As you can see, DNA inheritance is random and can't be predicted. One of the brothers shares 3 segments with me and almost twice as much cM as one of his brothers, with whom I only share one segment.

But I think this match with your son whom you're posting about is likely a 3rd cousin, once removed. Comparing your son's match to my full 3rd cousins, your son's match shares 40-50% less than I share with my 3rd cousins. But it may be that the match is your son's 4th cousin, with whom he happens to share a larger than expected amount of DNA.

Comment

Wow you're very experienced with this! I'd almost be willing to hire you to help me sort this out! I transferred his data to Family Tree but it isn't ready yet and what little it does show is completely random from what I see at ancestry DNA. I assume not everyone tested or transferred at both sites. I was told I would have more info in about a week from his data transfer. I also should have his YDNA test results in another 1-3 weeks. I have a two year old (same donor) which I'm wanting on the Famiy Finder test results. I can't transfer her data to ancestry and she just barely turned two and I highly doubt could fill the tube required by Ancestry.

Comment

Sorry I'm a fairly slow learner
        The lady who is connected that is mentioned above is very nice and giving me info. So in order to be third cousins once removed they must share a great great grandparent? She is Swedish on both sides and I know my sons paternal grandmother was Swedish/German. His biological grandfather is Italian. So I assume this connection is to my sons bio grandmothers side. She is making a list of her Great grandparents and I can see a tree however it's still overwhelming.

Comment

Originally posted by Sara291 View Post
          Sorry I'm a fairly slow learner
          The lady who is connected that is mentioned above is very nice and giving me info. So in order to be third cousins once removed they must share a great great grandparent? She is Swedish on both sides and I know my sons paternal grandmother was Swedish/German. His biological grandfather is Italian. So I assume this connection is to my sons bio grandmothers side. She is making a list of her Great grandparents and I can see a tree however it's still overwhelming.
          First cousins share a pair of grandparents. In the case of first cousins, once removed, the child of your first cousin is your first cousin, once removed.

So, in the case of third cousins, they share a set of gg-grandparents. The child of your third cousin is your third cousin, once removed.

The "once removed" is for people who are related to common ancestors but have a one generation difference in how they relate to the common ancestors. "Twice removed" is for people related to common ancestors, but they have a two generation difference in their relationship to the common ancestors.

Comment

So my child and this most likely third cousin once removed share a great grandparent. So one of her 8 great grandparents would be a great grandparent of my child then as well. The removed part often confused me. My cousin has a child and I considered him my second cousin.

Comment

The once removed part confuses me. So my cousin has a children which j considered my second cousins. I thought their children would be my third cousin. Which really isn't that far in the whole family tree concept.

Now that I've read up a bit I understand it a tad more. My cousins children are my first cousins once removed since we share the same grandparents. Though my grandparents would be their great grandparents. So the once removed is the generation gap?

So in the case that this lady is a third cousin once removed . . They share the same great great grandparents but likely my sons great great great grandparent?

Comment

Some times it helps to see a chart. Look at this one:
                https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...c_kinship).png

So your first cousin's child would be your first cousin once removed, but so would your second cousin's parent. It goes both ways.

Comment

Ok so let's say this lady is my children's third cousin once removed . .
                  Her Great grandparent would be my children's great great aunt or uncle correct?

Comment

Then they would share a pair of great great grandparents. So yes, the lady's great grandparent would be your child's great great aunt/uncle.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Contemplator View Post
                      Then they would share a pair of great great grandparents. So yes, the lady's great grandparent would be your child's great great aunt/uncle.
                      Wait I got this wrong, because it is late. They would share a pair of your child's 3rd great grandparents which would be the lady's 2nd great grandparents. The lady's great grandparent would be your child's 3rd great aunt/uncle.

Comment

If it's the 3rd cousin once removed would they share a grandparent or why would it not be a distant aunt/uncle to my child. I have the list of her 8 great grandparents and 16 great grandparents.

Comment

If anyone is interested in helping me research this more I would be happy to pay some. I looked at the help options though Ancestry DNA but that's crazy expensive! I don't need a ton of help. Just some basic to help get me started.

Comment

Originally posted by Sara291 View Post
                            If it's the 3rd cousin once removed would they share a grandparent or why would it not be a distant aunt/uncle to my child. I have the list of her 8 great grandparents and 16 great grandparents.

Isn't this the same question you made but in a variation? Just google "cousin chart" and click on images to find one that helps you. For example look at this one:
                            http://www.cousincountry.com/home/18...nippet%202.jpg

Find 3rd cousin once removed. Then notice the row and columns to show you that the 2 relatives in question (your child and the lady that matches your child) are 3rd great grandchild and 2nd great grandchild of the common ancestors they share. It means that 2 of your child's 3rd great grandparents are that lady's 2nd great grandparents. To help you with that chart just replace the word child with parent. (Note: 2nd great just means great great, so 3rd great is great great great.)

As for paid help, well you could check out the consulting tab at this blog: http://dna-explained.com

However, if all you need is basic help, just do some searching and you might already find blogs out there that cover what you need to know... for free. Look through these forums and find threads that interest you. The more you read, the less questions you should have.

Comment

Working...
                            X