Shared cM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared cM

Trying to make sense all of my 2nd-4th cousin matches . . There are a ton. Does the higher cM mean my child and this person are closer releated like closer to 2nd cousins? I see a wide range from 77.62 down to the 20's. However the highest is 77.64 and it's listed as a 3rd-5th cousin and then the next highest cM is listed as a 2nd-4th

To the best of my understanding, both total shared cM AND longest Block come into play. Just looking at one will not do it.
    If you ask to order by Relationship Range (which is also the default, I believe) then it will be ordered both by Range and will be ordered within each Range according to the order FTDNA's algorithm suggests.

Comment

Originally posted by Sara291 View Post
      Does the higher cM mean my child and this person are closer releated like closer to 2nd cousins? I see a wide range from 77.62 down to the 20's. However the highest is 77.64 and it's listed as a 3rd-5th cousin and then the next highest cM is listed as a 2nd-4th
      The answer is that it depends. You will have more shared DNA with closer relatives, but when it comes to cousins it depends on how you are related. Take a look at the chart from this page:
      http://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_statistics

This could give you a general idea of some cases. As for why someone with more DNA in common will be lower in estimated cousin range than others with less DNA, that is due to the age of the testers and the size of the segments in common. If a match and you share a good amount of DNA but they are all in small segments, it is likely a more distant relationship. If that same amount is shared with another but in fewer larger blocks, it is likely a closer relationship.

Comment

Working...
      X