• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I read this and wondered what our reation might be

http://www.economist.com/science/dis...ory_id=6795348

Race and medicine Not a black and white question
    Economist (subscription) - UK
    ... cited by Neil Risch, the director of the Centre for Human Genetics at the University of California, San Francisco, concerns ApoE, another gene involved in LDL ...

i am very into the genetics of alzhimers its one reason i do this .it concerns my wifes lines.i got into genealogy to see where i got my apnea which you can tell by a history of strokes and diabettes
    tuns out to be my malones.

personaly i think race as a word is useless since the picture above doesn't look like an african but it is E3b1.

I Think it says in the followin paragraph one allee can be 6 or 28 a wider spread then i have seen before
    In some cases, though, the difference clearly is genetic. A gene called UGT1A1 controls the metabolism of a colon-cancer drug called irinotecan. Approximately 20% of African-Americans, 15% of whites and 1% of Asians have two copies of a non-functional version of this gene called *28. Because individuals lacking functional UGT1A1 are at risk for serious complications if given the standard dose of irinotecan, genetic testing of patients before starting irinotecan therapy has become normal. Yet, while only 1% of Asians have two copies of the *28 allele, which is detected by the genetic test, 2.5% of Asians have another non-functional version called *6 which is not detected by the standard test. Indeed, it does not occur in blacks or whites. Thus, testing Asians for the *28 allele does not provide them with the same quality of care as it does for African-Americans or whites. “Identical treatment is not,” as Dr Risch puts it, “equal treatment

let me see what you people think before i comment more

Sounds interesting to me.

Comment

I too, did not resort to DNA testing to identify race as race is not important. I do believe that there are those who suffer genetic medical disorders, but also believe that the lifestyle that one chooses to lead (diet, excercise, etc.) can combat or eliminate such disorders in most cases...

Comment

Originally posted by Lost-Sheep
        I too, did not resort to DNA testing to identify race as race is not important. I do believe that there are those who suffer genetic medical disorders, but also believe that the lifestyle that one chooses to lead (diet, excercise, etc.) can combat or eliminate such disorders in most cases...

do me a favor search apoe and demenia and tell me what you find?
        lol

Comment

do me a favor search apoe and demenia and tell me what you find?
          "It is brain damage caused by cumulative and repetitive head trauma. In other words, it is being punched in the head too many times and the cumulative effect concussions can have on the brain. Although it is usually encountered by retired boxers, it can be found in other sports such as football and soccer"

So do you play too much football and soccer, Jim? "Do me a favor" and research RIVER TUBING in the summer months! I am certain you will find more relaxation than in football or soccer!

Comment

Originally posted by Lost-Sheep
            "It is brain damage caused by cumulative and repetitive head trauma. In other words, it is being punched in the head too many times and the cumulative effect concussions can have on the brain. Although it is usually encountered by retired boxers, it can be found in other sports such as football and soccer"

So do you play too much football and soccer, Jim? "Do me a favor" and research RIVER TUBING in the summer months! I am certain you will find more relaxation than in football or soccer!

Knowing one race/group is really inportant, because these new medications that are out now, don't work for everybody, esp the statins, this is wisedom, know you're Race, or a person could take a pill and get a life time of neurphy , not everybody the same

Comment

Originally posted by taba2much
              Knowing one race/group is really inportant, because these new medications that are out now, don't work for everybody, esp the statins, this is wisedom, know you're Race, or a person could take a pill and get a life time of neurphy , not everybody the same

but how can that be since we know black men can be k r1b r1a j and white men can be e3b/e3a or asian is k ria
              so how can a gene be racial?

its like the people who want to know what the jewish gene is

can't get there from here

Comment

I agree with Jim on that one. A high percentage of African-American males belong to Europeanesque haplogroups. With all the war and conquest that has taken place in the world over the centuries, we all probably contain ancient lineage from every race under the sun.

My "R1b" skin is as white as a ghost, yet my ancient ancestors migrated out of Africa. Race is scientifically dead in that context...

Comment

Race is about broad generalities and categories. It is possible to generalize about a population with some degree of accuracy, realizing that each individual is different and that exceptions will occur.

The DNA of an individual is a very specific, personal thing.

Our "race" is what we think it is, based upon our appearance and how others perceive us. It is the sum total of the physical characteristics we have inherited from the pool to which all of our ancestors contributed genes.

It certainly isn't determined by the Y-chromosome passed along by a single male ancestor shrouded in the mists of the prehistoric past, no matter what continent he came from.

Is it even relevant to speak of "Africa" or "Europe" or "Asia" when speaking of our deep ancestry, as if those continents were configured as they are now or had the same sort of climate, or as if being from Africa meant one was "black" as we now think of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
                    Race is about broad generalities and categories. It is possible to generalize about a population with some degree of accuracy, realizing that each individual is different and that exceptions will occur.

The DNA of an individual is a very specific, personal thing.

Our "race" is what we think it is, based upon our appearance and how others perceive us. It is the sum total of the physical characteristics we have inherited from the pool to which all of our ancestors contributed genes.

It certainly isn't determined by the Y-chromosome passed along by a single male ancestor shrouded in the mists of the prehistoric past, no matter what continent he came from.

Is it even relevant to speak of "Africa" or "Europe" or "Asia" when speaking of our deep ancestry, as if those continents were configured as they are now or had the same sort of climate, or as if being from Africa meant one was "black" as we now think of it?
                    err
                    roy campaneras & jimmy the greek nuf said

i am e3b 80% are in sudan we split in sudan ethiopia its like saing R1b is european

maybe just maybe the scientist see what they want to see on a racial basis

these are the same people who refuse to see the connection of apoe and cholesterol. see apoe which monitors and controls liprids[ cholesterol]. but when you use a drug like lipitor which treats cholesterol and stops the heart attack at 55yrs. the secondary funtion of apoe is to make amyloid beta which is the cause of alzhiemers.
                    so when docs tell you you should eat low fat and take liptior they should explain about dementia and the likely hood as say 75%

but they dont they somehow cant see it like these scientists dont see the ridiculous racial results. now locational results are much different thing.

having a gene for a disease is multiplied by recieving one from each parent.
                    and if the location like small towns in africa ,italy,or ireland are breeding grounds for this gene. then they tend to get more powerful with constant inbreeding

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Denning
                      err
                      roy campaneras & jimmy the greek nuf said
                      I'm not sure what that has to do with what I wrote.

Perhaps you could explain.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
                        I'm not sure what that has to do with what I wrote.

Perhaps you could explain.

there is no race no colors .even high hips and muscle strength doesnt hold up
                        jews are not all hook nosed irish arent all red faced then again i am not r1b but african. race is old hat and should be dropped pronto. its not a sum total but rather an imaginary heap. you cant tell someones haplogroup by looking at them ,fact!
                        but the locational effect on genes is true . incidently when you deal with this scirntists want to ignore this lol especialy genetists. because it usually means bad news and who wants to give bad news [all the time]

but thruth be out............ it will eventually be realized black yellow white dont exist as valid segritory units and hip hip hooray when they go

Comment

I see.

Racism is wrong, but the idea of race is not totally imaginary or unfounded.

Race is about the broad and general classification of human beings based upon observable physical similarities and differences. If you see what I mean, it can be accurate in general, but that accuracy breaks down in terms of specific individuals, since all individuals are unique and different.

Broadly speaking, a person's race is based upon what he or she looks like, how others perceive him or her, and his or her own perception of it.

Race is largely a cultural construct, but, on the other hand, what a person looks like is an easily observable sign of what the sum total of his or her ancestors' genes has produced.

When that observation is used to mistreat or oppress people, that is racism.

But the idea of race is not necessarily bad in and of itself.

Until the science of DNA testing is sufficiently developed to give us more of a total picture, what we look like still says more than an analysis of the DNA of a single sex chromosome or of the mitochondria passed along from a single prehistoric female ancestor.
                          Last edited by Stevo; 15 April 2006, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X