Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably Predictable Newbie Question

Hi all,

I am so new to the world of DNA and testing and all of that. My sister and I both tested but through different companies. We are both mtdna Haplogroup H but dramatically different subclades (I hope I have the terminology correct).

Would that be unusual?

The chance of us not being maternal side siblings is just about impossible. Our mother was adopted so it's not like one of us was passed off as a sib when we were cousins or what have you. And we look freakishly alike, as well as looking like our mother.

Any thoughts? And any simple reading options for people who are completely new to this? I find many of the blogs/webpages/answers here start off simple and rapidly dip to the deep end of the pool.

Thanks in advance!

Which mtDNA test was done? Where at? What does the mtDNA tool at http://dna.jameslick.com/mthap/ show for each of you? Did you both also have autosomal testing like Family Finder, 23andme or AncestryDNA? If so, do you share between 2400 and 2600 cM?

Comment

Thanks for the reply Armando.

I did the full sequence here. I think she did something similar at another company.

I am waiting on my Family Finder, she hasn't done that.

Truthfully, I don't know the answers to a lot of what you're asking because I don't understand the questions. For example, why would that tool show anything and how would I use it? Would it have access to my results?

I really don't know what this means either:
      "If so, do you share between 2400 and 2600 cM?"

I wasn't kidding when I said I was a newb! That's why I was also asking about resources.

Thanks for trying. I'm looking forward to learning more from all of you.

Comment

Originally posted by Colleen D View Post
        I did the full sequence here. I think she did something similar at another company.
        This is most likely why you have different subclades. Only FTDNA does a Full Sequence test which gives you a more accurate subclade than your sister's.

I am waiting on my Family Finder, she hasn't done that.
        Where did you sister test?

Truthfully, I don't know the answers to a lot of what you're asking because I don't understand the questions. For example, why would that tool show anything and how would I use it? Would it have access to my results?
        The tool is sometimes more accurate than FTDNA when it comes to the subclade and extra mutations. But since you and your sister had different mtDNA tests it's not helpful at this point. You can read the privacy info in the FAQ at http://dna.jameslick.com/mthap/FAQ.html

I really don't know what this means either:
        "If so, do you share between 2400 and 2600 cM?"
        Autosomal DNA is measured in centiMorgans (cM). You and your sister would have to have your autosomal DNA files downloaded to compare the amount of shared autosomal DNA.

I wasn't kidding when I said I was a newb! That's why I was also asking about resources.

Thanks for trying. I'm looking forward to learning more from all of you.
        There are plenty of resources but some things are more easily answered in a forum. The main thing is that you want to find out where your sister tested and how to compare the results from the two companies.

Comment

Thanks again - I appreciate the depth of your answers and your patience with my questions

I tested at FT, my sister did her test at Oxford.

Thanks for explaining the importance of knowing where the test were done.

I'm going to check out that link - thanks again!

Comment

And, in addition to everything Armando said, when you have time, google ISOGG, which will help you with your learning curve.

Comment

My world - I put my data in on the link you suggested but now I have more questions!!! I don't know what any of it means.

Comment

My world - I put my data in on the link you suggested but now I have more questions!!! I don't know what any of it means.
                You might get better guidance from a mtDNA haplogroup admin. Have you joined any mtDNA projects at FTDNA?

Comment

Thanks. I haven't joined any yet. I'll peek around to see what options exist.

I did find a link with genealogy for beginners which I'm working through and has been helpful - though slow going as I fit it around everything else in my life haha.

Thanks again!

Comment

I did find a link with genealogy for beginners which I'm working through and has been helpful - though slow going as I fit it around everything else in my life haha.
                    Give it some time and it will take over your life.

Comment

Oh I can so see that! It's already my "downtime" obsession!

Comment

Working...
                      X