Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does My Origins tell about my genealogy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does My Origins tell about my genealogy?

My Origins results came back - it was:
    97% European
    - 46% Southern Europe
    - 39% Western and Central Europe
    - 10% Scandinavian
    - 2% Finland and Northern Siberia

Then 2% North African and 2% New World.

As is the case for many Brazilians, a big part of my genealogy remains unknown. My father's line is all German from the Rhineland-Palatinate.
    Through my mother's line it's all Portuguese surnames of people born in Southern Brazil (Santa Catarina, heavily settled by Azoreans), with the exception of one German great-great-grandfather from Rhineland. There are also family stories that one of my great-great-grandmothers was from Poland.

The S. Europe and C & W Europe seems to match the Portuguese and German. Maybe no sign of Polish ancestry.
    I'm not sure if the 2% New World would be actually Native Brazilian, given the history of the region. I have uploaded to Gedmatch, and there I get 1-2% Amerindian too.
    No idea why the Finland and Northern Siberia did show up either. Does anybody have a guess?

Finland and Northern Siberia shows up in about 25% of Latin Americans due to the Native American ancestry.

If you add up your Amerindian, East Asian, and Siberian from the Eurogenes K13 or Dodecad World 9 calculator at Gedmatch that is all from your Native American ancestry and is the real amount that you have when it is above 2%. myOrigins normally does a poor job for Native American ancestry. Gedmatch is reliable as long as it shows more than 2%. Under 2% is unreliable.

For a comparison of a 100% Native American at FTDNA and Gedmatch take a look at the following two pages http://www.fi.id.au/2014/11/clovis-a...-in-ftdna.html and http://www.fi.id.au/2014/10/new-clov...-gedmatch.html

You can run that person's DNA through the Gedmatch calculators with kit F999919.

Comment

Rodolpho, do you think your 2% North African may come from Sephardic Jews? This is often the case. I am able to evaluate your kit to look for Jewish matches on Jewish segments if you want to join GEDmatch.com or if you already have. That is a free site.

Since you are Brazilian, I want you to know that I would like to find more Brazilian matches to my father and me. We have only 2 or 3 so far -- 2 of them on the same segment as a Mexican and a 3/4 Sephardi 1/4 Ashkenazi Jew.

Sometimes valid matches between Latin Americans and Ashkenazim are visible in GEDmatch but not in Family Finder because Family Finder requires a minimum total of 20 cM to be shared.

As far as your "Scandinavian" category, some German ancestry gets classified as that by MyOrigins, but also sometimes some Polish ancestry does.

Comment

Thanks, Armando, that is an interesting thought.

Well, on Eurogenes K13 I get 1,42% Amerindian, 1,13% Siberian and 0,61% East Asian. I also show 1,15% South Asian. Maybe much of this is just noise. In some other Gedmatch calculators I show no Siberian.

On Dodecad World9 I am 2,16% Amerindian and very little percentagens for Siberian (0,78%), South Asian (0.58%) and East Asian (0.14%).

When I use the Admixture by Chromosome I do show some Amerindian percentages of up to 11%.

Originally posted by Armando View Post
        Finland and Northern Siberia shows up in about 25% of Latin Americans due to the Native American ancestry.

If you add up your Amerindian, East Asian, and Siberian from the Eurogenes K13 or Dodecad World 9 calculator at Gedmatch that is all from your Native American ancestry and is the real amount that you have when it is above 2%. myOrigins normally does a poor job for Native American ancestry. Gedmatch is reliable as long as it shows more than 2%. Under 2% is unreliable.

Comment

That's a possibility.

I have uploaded to GEDmatch already. Would you like to exchange kit numbers through private message?

Originally posted by khazaria View Post
          Rodolpho, do you think your 2% North African may come from Sephardic Jews? This is often the case. I am able to evaluate your kit to look for Jewish matches on Jewish segments if you want to join GEDmatch.com or if you already have. That is a free site.

Since you are Brazilian, I want you to know that I would like to find more Brazilian matches to my father and me. We have only 2 or 3 so far -- 2 of them on the same segment as a Mexican and a 3/4 Sephardi 1/4 Ashkenazi Jew.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodolpho View Post
            Thanks, Armando, that is an interesting thought.

Well, on Eurogenes K13 I get 1,42% Amerindian, 1,13% Siberian and 0,61% East Asian. I also show 1,15% South Asian. Maybe much of this is just noise. In some other Gedmatch calculators I show no Siberian.

On Dodecad World9 I am 2,16% Amerindian and very little percentagens for Siberian (0,78%), South Asian (0.58%) and East Asian (0.14%).

When I use the Admixture by Chromosome I do show some Amerindian percentages of up to 11%.
            So on Eurogenes K13 your total for Amerindian, Siberian, and East Asian is 3,16% and on World9 your total is 3,08%. That's from your Native American ancestry and both are very close, relatively speaking, and AncestryDNA and 23andme would show similar amounts. FTDNA under-reports the Native American DNA. Most of your South Asian is from your European ancestors. A lot of your North African is likely from the Moorish invasion of Iberia.

Comment

Cool! So it's more Native American ancestry than My Origins shows. Still, I think this small autossomal amount (2-3%) is probably not evident in anything in my phenotype.

Originally posted by Armando View Post
              So on Eurogenes K13 your total for Amerindian, Siberian, and East Asian is 3,16% and on World9 your total is 3,08%. That's from your Native American ancestry and both are very close, relatively speaking, and AncestryDNA and 23andme would show similar amounts. FTDNA under-reports the Native American DNA. Most of your South Asian is from your European ancestors. A lot of your North African is likely from the Moorish invasion of Iberia.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodolpho View Post
                That's a possibility.
                Rodolpho,

On a triangulating segment on chromosome 4 you match 28 people of whom most are Ashkenazic Jews, but two of the matches are Costa Ricans, and there is an additional Hispanic person whose origin I could not determine yet. The segment is of mixed Middle Eastern + European character. I am sure the most recent common ancestor of the whole group was some kind of Jew.

I have emailed you details that confirm this.

Comment

Working...
                X