Y-chromosome DNA test Y-DNA59 marker, Im confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y-chromosome DNA test Y-DNA59 marker, Im confused

this is a Question that only deal's with my Fathers Line, Not my Mothers, that part Im not confused about:
    Question,
    with the Y-chromosome DNA test, which is males only line, does the path go from "me, to my Father, to his father, Right,,,, but does the Y-dna test also go from "me to my father, then to his father, what about my fathers Mother's Father ???,,
    Does the Y-DNA test just cover my direct (Male) fathers line, "excluding his Mothers Father" or does it cover all Males in my family (Mom and dad's) DNA Line
    Im trying to figure out my Fathers, Mother (my grandmother's Ancestry), NOT my Mothers , mother or fathers ancestry
    and if not, what dna test could I take, I have no living family or none that would take a test
    thank you

Originally posted by taba2much
    this is a Question that only deal's with my Fathers Line, Not my Mothers, that part Im not confused about:
    Question,
    with the Y-chromosome DNA test, which is males only line, does the path go from "me, to my Father, to his father, Right,,,, but does the Y-dna test also go from "me to my father, then to his father, what about my fathers Mother's Father ???,,
    Does the Y-DNA test just cover my direct (Male) fathers line, "excluding his Mothers Father" or does it cover all Males in my family (Mom and dad's) DNA Line
    Im trying to figure out my Fathers, Mother (my grandmother's Ancestry), NOT my Mothers , mother or fathers ancestry
    and if not, what dna test could I take, I have no living family or none that would take a test
    thank you
    Y-DNA is passed from father to son. So, no, you will not get any information on your father's mother's father.

Y-DNA will only give you information in the straight line of males beginning with you and going back through your father and his father and his father and his father and so on and on and on and on.

Thus far the only way you can get DNA info on most of your other lines is to recruit male relatives to submit Y-DNA tests of their own.

I don't know my own Y-DNA results yet, but some men on my mom's side have had theirs done; it came back R1b, but I haven't seen anything on their subclades.

Another line on my father's side has been tested and came back I1a, which figures, since they originated in East Anglia in England.

The mtDNA tests will give you female lines in succession, but men can have that test done, too, since they get their mitochrondrial DNA from mom. MtDNA won't give you any males, though.
    Last edited by Stevo; 10 April 2006, 04:52 PM.

Comment

still confused

here's an example of what I mean,
      " I have my Y- Chromosome Right, Im male" then" if I take the Y- Chromosome test it will point to my father, My father was Native American , thats what he was (he's dead) now.
      IF my father had commited a crime, his DNA Would reflect his Race through the FBI's Y- chromosome test OR he would be view as a "what"????, " Good Question huh" forget my grandmother, thats not inportant, the question really is What was my father race, what am I.
      IF I was to commit a crime, my DNA would end up at the FBI lab, they without any question would figure out thru Y- chromosome testing my Race, gender and maybe age, , they do it everyday, thats why they do it. to ID a crime suspect.
      because Im not into genealogy but a resent fact I therefore should really not have to go get people to test and test and test, I think that is what a genealogist would do because they want that type of informaton, but thats not me, this is a really short history of two people only, no one else. really just one, me
      if I took the y- chromosome test "just for the info of MY haplogroups ( which
      I don't know) not matching any of it to any family members at all, "just me", I therefore should be able to use those haplogroups (group) to tag me to A Race or group, which is reasonable I think.
      there seems too me that there are two types of researchers of DNA.(Im new at this) the Genealogist (history) and the (Fact) based type like the FBI who really don't care about Genealogy, they just the raw facts of a person's Race,gender and age, not history
      I believe this is done through haplogroups and maybe thats what Im looking for from a DNA point of View (pov). I already have all the info (DNA) inside of me I just need to extract the haplogroups out and figure them out
      example: one person's Y-dna is not like mine or another, they are in groups called haplogroups, I don't care about genealogy, thats a different field, Im more fact based so my focus is short.
      its hard for me to understand how my grandmother (father side) or father could be dna tested for their Native American haplogroups ID'd, but not me, that part is not really clear too me,
      think of it, if my father and I where not in the picture and my grandmother/or grandfather was alive and nobody else, she/or he was a Native American, how would they prove it, according to the Y-dna/mtdna companies they would not be able to, because they would be in the same situation I find myself today
      I think I will take they Y-DNA test, I will not be able to prove thru history, however I should be able to tell my race from the haplogroups
      Now I could be all wrong, but it seem strange to me that other people can, my father could, but I can't, its not logical too me for some reason.

thanks for listening too my rant

Comment

Take the SNP test offered by DNA Heritage. It costs only 99$ and it will tell you your haplogroup and possibly even your subclade. That's what you wanted to find out, right? The SNP test will NOT determine your haplotype (that's your genetic fingerprint), so it cannot tie you to any criminal actions. I hope I understood your question.

Comment

Originally posted by anka
          Take the SNP test offered by DNA Heritage. It costs only 99$ and it will tell you your haplogroup and possibly even your subclade. That's what you wanted to find out, right? The SNP test will NOT determine your haplotype (that's your genetic fingerprint), so it cannot tie you to any criminal actions. I hope I understood your question.
          Oh, hehehe, Im not worried about any criminal, Im using the FBI lab as an example only because law enforcement are soooo good at what they do with DNA, I should have written the word government instead or whatever, but what the heck,
          no Im I don't write well, Im aurtisic, Im sorry, I'll try again
          I may not understand what your writing, first you write that I should "Take the SNP test offered by DNA Heritage. It costs only 99$ and it will tell you your haplogroup and possibly even your subclade"
          then you write "The SNP test will NOT determine your haplotype (that's your genetic fingerprint),
          you see, Im confused hahahahahaha, but thats normal for me
          OK I just went to DNA heritage.com, MMm thanks for the info, I understand what your writing now, MMmmm great thank you, I will investagate further, will follow up when figured out all the info

Comment

Originally posted by taba2much
            Oh, hehehe, Im not worried about any criminal, Im using the FBI lab as an example only because law enforcement are soooo good at what they do with DNA, I should have written the word government instead or whatever, but what the heck,
            no Im I don't write well, Im aurtisic, Im sorry, I'll try again
            I may not understand what your writing, first you write that I should "Take the SNP test offered by DNA Heritage. It costs only 99$ and it will tell you your haplogroup and possibly even your subclade"
            then you write "The SNP test will NOT determine your haplotype (that's your genetic fingerprint),
            you see, Im confused hahahahahaha, but thats normal for me
            OK I just went to DNA heritage.com, MMm thanks for the info, I understand what your writing now, MMmmm great thank you, I will investagate further, will follow up when figured out all the info
            I did some more reading, yub , you're right

Comment

Working...
            X