X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can (REO) determine Jewish origins?

Greetings,
    My Haplogroup is R1a1.
    My Recent Ethnic Origins chart-25 marker matches shows no exact but 1-2-3 step mutations by country and 1 or 2 matches. The Comment column lists only ASHKENAZI LEVITE or ASHKENAZI, or is blank. Most all the 12 Marker matches shows the same as do all the Haplogroup R1a1 countries.
    May I presume with some certainty that my origins are hopefully Jewish? Should I take a Cohanim test?
    Thanks for your reply.

Originally posted by fantome
    Greetings,
    My Haplogroup is R1a1.
    My Recent Ethnic Origins chart-25 marker matches shows no exact but 1-2-3 step mutations by country and 1 or 2 matches. The Comment column lists only ASHKENAZI LEVITE or ASHKENAZI, or is blank. Most all the 12 Marker matches shows the same as do all the Haplogroup R1a1 countries.
    May I presume with some certainty that my origins are hopefully Jewish? Should I take a Cohanim test?
    Thanks for your reply.
    As I understand it, the REO database contains samples from Dr. Michael Hammer's studies of Jewish Y-DNA. He's the head of the lab FTDNA uses at the Univ. of Arizona.

Similarly, the anonymous search function for mtDNA has the full sequences from Dr. Doron Behar's Askenazi mtDNA study. That's mostly hg K.

Bill Hurst

Comment

A Jewish background is quite likely but not absolutely certain. (I have a somewhat similar pattern on J2). The qualification is that Ftdna's sample has as overrepresentation of people of Jewish ancestry . The net consequence is that Jewish matches are more likely to be recorded but non-Jewish matches are less likely to be listed.
      The Cohen modal haplotype falls under haplogroup J. There is evidence that R1a1 is somewhat common for Levites.
      Last edited by josh w.; 9 April 2006, 02:15 PM.

Comment

P.S. Fantome, of course a Jewish background would be very likely if you have family information consistent with this possibility.

Comment

Hello Josh

Yes, that's my problem, I have no confirmation of any Jewish origins. My relatives are all deceased except for younger cousins. The story has always been that my Grandfather's name was mispelled on his Naturalization papers, c. 1887. He could, however, have tried to hide his real name which was Jewish. Also, I suppose that it also may have occured so many generations back that even he didn't know. I am delighted to find that his origins were probably Jewish! I had always thought the male line was French Catholic.

Thanks,
          J.L.

Comment

Working...
          X