Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• josh w.
    replied
    Dna Tribes is a company that does autosomal testing (there are others such as Ancestry By Dna but they give more general results).(By the way I am not a salesman for the company. In other cases I would not mention it. For example, it is not very useful in searching your Belgian ancestors.) One note of qualification. Genetic tests such as these tend to get at more distant rather than recent history. Thus it is still possible that some of your other lines may have an African component.
    Last edited by josh w.; 9 April 2006, 02:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Afrigeneas

Originally posted by paitenceofjob
    If your father is still alive or any of his brothers or sisters, you could have them do a mtdna test. You may want to check this website out: http://www.afrigeneas.com/forum-dna/.

Persoannly, I like FTDNA, but African Ancestry is said by some to have a big database of African samples for someone of African lineage to compare their results.
    Thanks for your tip. I went to see on africanancestry.com, and I find it good to search for a name or a family. I'll surf to it now and again.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    What is autosomal test?

Originally posted by josh w.
    I should have been a bit more explicit. I meant an autosomal test for yourself rather than other family members. Dna Tribes will give the most specific geographical location. In fact their tests will indicate if you resemble a Benin sample. The main disadvantage is that autosomal tests ordinarily do not distinguish between maternal and paternal lines. However as in your situation, if you can presume that one parent has some African ancestry and the other parent does not, the autosomal test shold reveal the African ancestry of your paternal line (in the event that your maternal line also has some African ancestry the autosomal test results will be ambiguous).
    Thanks. My maternal line is only european and easily traced, it is only my paternal grandmother who was from African origin. She was Haitian. So only my aunt could have the right results, but she is no more. I think I shall have to take the autosomal test. What is Dna Tribes? Is that also a test or another site to surf to?

Leave a comment:

• josh w.
    replied
    I should have been a bit more explicit. I meant an autosomal test for yourself rather than other family members. Dna Tribes will give the most specific geographical location. In fact their tests will indicate if you resemble a Benin sample. The main disadvantage is that autosomal tests ordinarily do not distinguish between maternal and paternal lines. However as in your situation, if you can presume that one parent has some African ancestry and the other parent does not, the autosomal test shold reveal the African ancestry of your paternal line (in the event that your maternal line also has some African ancestry the autosomal test results will be ambiguous).
    Last edited by josh w.; 8 April 2006, 07:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• paitenceofjob
    replied
    If your father is still alive or any of his brothers or sisters, you could have them do a mtdna test. You may want to check this website out: http://www.afrigeneas.com/forum-dna/.

Persoannly, I like FTDNA, but African Ancestry is said by some to have a big database of African samples for someone of African lineage to compare their results.

Leave a comment:

• josh w.
    replied
    This is a situation where an autosomal test might help. Autosomes are non-sexual chromosomes and people receive roughly 50% of their autosomes from each parent. Such tests are available at concerns such as Dna Tribes and Ancestry By Dna.

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    replied
    Originally posted by R. M. Hache
    My father was born in Haiti from a haitian mother and a german father. He came to Belgium and married a belgian wife. I am their daughter and my problem is that, as a female, I have only access to my mtDNA. From my genealogy tree, I know they are all Europeans. But my great wish is to know where my African ancestry come from (my grandmother said it was probably from Benin), and when they were brought to Haiti. But my aunt is dead and my cousins do not want to join. Is there a possibility to know from my DNA something from my grandmother's ancestors?
    Sure. The mtDNA tests your maternal line. Of course, there is the distinct possibility that you will run into a non-African female somewhere in your female line and be routed back to Europe.

The test is worth taking though.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic I search for my African ancestors

I search for my African ancestors

My father was born in Haiti from a haitian mother and a german father. He came to Belgium and married a belgian wife. I am their daughter and my problem is that, as a female, I have only access to my mtDNA. From my genealogy tree, I know they are all Europeans. But my great wish is to know where my African ancestry come from (my grandmother said it was probably from Benin), and when they were brought to Haiti. But my aunt is dead and my cousins do not want to join. Is there a possibility to know from my DNA something from my grandmother's ancestors?
Working...
X