X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stevo
    replied
    Originally posted by EBurgess
    12-marker tests are good for discounting a relationship. Also it seems that the higher price of the larger tests is a stumbling block for many. I think project admins can't do without the 12 marker test for that reason. They probably would have far fewer participants.

I have often wondered if the cost was something like 20$ how significantly that would impact participation.
    I think you are right.

If the basic 12-marker test could be had for $20, I think we could recruit many people who won't do it now. If it were that cheap, I would pay for some of my male relatives to have it so I could check on lines that pass to me through a female.

Leave a comment:

• EBurgess
    replied
    12-marker tests are good for discounting a relationship. Also it seems that the higher price of the larger tests is a stumbling block for many. I think project admins can't do without the 12 marker test for that reason. They probably would have far fewer participants.

I have often wondered if the cost was something like 20$ how significantly that would impact participation.

Leave a comment:

• vineviz
    replied
    Originally posted by DHDH
    I'm getting really confused. It seems like alot of people take the 12 marker test and think that this is going to tell them something, but after what I've been reading... it appears that the 12 marker might be a waste of time. Can anyone explain to me the benefits of someone taking just the 12 marker?
    If you ask ten people, you are likely to get 12 opinions but here is my take:

The 12 marker test is most useful as a preliminary test in matching two people whom you already suspect of being related. In other words, if traditional genealogical research suggests that two men are distantly related then a 12 market test is an inexpensive way to see if that is possible. A match says that it IS possible, so a higher-resolution test is warranted. A failure to match says that a relationship is unlikely and a higher-resolution test is not called for.

Twelve markers might also be enough to predict a haplogroup, so someone who was most interested in their deep genetic ancestry might find that 12 markers is sufficient to tell them what they want to know or at least suggest which deep-clade SNP test to undertake.

Leave a comment:

• DHDH
    started a topic 12 marker waste of time?

12 marker waste of time?

I'm getting really confused. It seems like alot of people take the 12 marker test and think that this is going to tell them something, but after what I've been reading... it appears that the 12 marker might be a waste of time. Can anyone explain to me the benefits of someone taking just the 12 marker?
Working...
X