Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with kit

Hello
    I need advice for 2 issues I have with kits I haven't sent off yet for processing.
    1 - I have lost the release forms for 2 kits - after the sample was taken. Can I use a photocopy of a spare unused kit and handwrite the code at the top?
    2 - Another problem - when my relative took his sample, rather than releasing the little comb into the vial, he dipped the comb into the solution and swished it around and then threw away the comb. So the vial only contains the solution with (hopefully?) his dna in it.
    Should I request 2 replacements?
    The kit with no 'comb' is my great uncle's - I'd rather not ask for his dna a second time as he is old and not well.
    Thanks.

Originally posted by mark888 View Post
    1 - I have lost the release forms for 2 kits - after the sample was taken. Can I use a photocopy of a spare unused kit and handwrite the code at the top?
    A copy might work but on the corner they have a bar code with the kit number. You can't just copy any bar code. Maybe if you copied the bar code and kit number from the clear plastic bag and pasted it on the release form copy you make. This idea is just a guess.

At any rate you should contact FTDNA to ask for advice from them. On the top of these forums you will see "Customer Support". Click it. In the new page, go to the "Support" area and click on "Open a request". Fill out the form. For the category I don't see one that matches with what you need. Try "Billing/Change order" I suppose. It is sort of like a change. They will reply via email. So check your email for a reply. Some times they answer within one day. If needed, reply using the email they send you. This keeps things organized for them to know your case.

Originally posted by mark888 View Post
    2 - Another problem - when my relative took his sample, rather than releasing the little comb into the vial, he dipped the comb into the solution and swished it around and then threw away the comb. So the vial only contains the solution with (hopefully?) his dna in it.
    Should I request 2 replacements?
    The kit with no 'comb' is my great uncle's - I'd rather not ask for his dna a second time as he is old and not well.
    Thanks.
    You need a replacement for this one without a doubt. The DNA was on the comb. It is the only reason we are told to place the comb in the vial. There is no way they can get enough DNA from whatever may be in the solution. Make sure you ask for a replacement when you ask them about the other problem. Also, if you don't want to get another sample from this relative ever again, ask for extra swabs/vials. This way you get 4 of each. There is no extra cost for that.

Comment

Release Form

FTDNA has a release form online here:
      https://www.familytreedna.com/forms/...lease-form.pdf

I would add the kit number to the form.

Comment

Working...
      X