What other test (s) do I need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What other test (s) do I need

I ordered a 111 marker test on my dad's 1st cousin (male) ( I also have FTDNA tests on my 1st (male) cousin and myself Female.
    my question is this, I need matches of my dad's cousin's mother and family finder. Can I get by with just ordering the Family Finder Test or will I need to order the MTDNA and Family finder to tie all three of us?

Thank you for any and all help,
    Jeanne

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are trying to do by tying them together. If you mean having overlapping data to indicate they are related to one another, then Family Finder is the only one you need for them all.

Comment

it only showed half of my second message, sorry

I am trying to connect the maternal side of my cousin Charles to David and I. I had DNA and Family finder done on my 1st male cousin, David (his paternal side) and my mtDNA, and it shows us as first cousins. Charles (our Father's 1st cousin) does not show up on either of our matches??? I paid for Charles' 111 YDNA marker in Sept. but so far it has only shown 25 marker info? I thought I had paid for family finder on his but evidently I didn't. Now I want to know if I need to just pay for family finder on Charles's line (My research only needs his mother's side) or would it be best to order his full MTDNA and family finder?
      Sorry for such a confusing question and thanks for your help.
      Last edited by yoopergal13; 19 January 2016, 11:18 AM. Reason: part of post was deleted

Comment

The DNA tests can be simplified into 3 types. One is the autosomal DNA test called Family Finder. It gives you information on the DNA you share with close relatives to distant cousins who can have ancestors in common with you as far back as 5 generations. This is the best way to connect to a person to see if you are related in recent generations.

A second type of DNA test is the Y-DNA test which only men can take. These vary and the more common ones are the STR marker tests (37,67,111). These help you trace the paternal line of the test taker which is the father's father's father's etc line. This one can go thousands of years back because the Y-DNA does not change as much as the rest of the DNA from parent to child.

A third type of DNA test is the mtDNA test. This one helps trace the maternal line of the test taker which is the mother's mother's mother's etc line. This one can also go thousands of years back but is also the least useful of the 3 types of tests. Less people take it and there are less changes throughout the generations making it harder to use as a match could still be distantly related.

Also remember that to match someone, you and that person both need to take the same type of test.

Originally posted by yoopergal13 View Post
        I had DNA and Family finder done on my 1st male cousin,...
        I think you meant Y-DNA instead of just DNA.

Charles (our Father's 1st cousin) does not show up on either of our matches???
        If Charles has not taken the FF (Family Finder) test then of course he won't show up.

I paid for Charles' 111 YDNA marker in Sept. but so far it has only shown 25 marker info?
        You don't sound sure. Go to Charles's kit. Click on "Y-STR Results". You should see a bunch of numbers split into panels. If he is tested to 25 markers only then he would only have panel 1 and 2. It tells you the number of markers in each panel.

You probably do have the 111 marker results, but have no matches. So when you got to "Matches", it will try to find matches for the most markers. If it does not find any it goes down the list from 111 to 67 to 37, etc. Just look at the bar with the marker level. It starts at the highest you have available and changes to a lower one when there are no matches found. I have a Y67 and have no matches at any marker level so it goes all the way to 12 markers for me with no matches.

I thought I had paid for family finder on his but evidently I didn't. Now I want to know if I need to just pay for family finder on Charles's line (My research only needs his mother's side) or would it be best to order his full MTDNA and family finder?
        The mtDNA will give you his maternal line, but if you want his maternal side (which is different from line), you will need to order the FF (Family Finder) on his kit. At the very least you need the FF or else how would he ever be a match to you? As for mtDNA, that depends on what you need. Remember mtDNA matches only match you with others who have taken a mtDNA test.

If you are interested in the deep ancestry of Charles's maternal line, then sure get the mtDNA test for the full sequence. However, you might only really learn the haplogroup that line belongs to. I took a mtDNA (full sequence) test and only have 2 matches with a genetic distance of 3. So they are not close enough to be recently related to me. I did learn which group my line goes to, but for the price you are better of doing it during a sale if you are truly curious. Go with just the FF for now.

Sorry for such a confusing question and thanks for your help.
        No need to be sorry. When in doubt, search for the answers. When you still can't find them, ask. The worst that can happen is that no one can answer.

Comment

Thank you!

I really appreciate your clear, concise help. My goal is to find our very confusing female side on our father's side. They just 'appear' in their 20's, married with children. I've been looking for over 20+ years... with no luck. I think I will just add family finder for now. Again, thank you!

Comment

Perhaps you need to complement the tests?

have a look at what other tests might provide. here is a full list of the *link removed* dna test you can order online
            hope that helps
            Last edited by Darren; 28 January 2016, 11:53 PM. Reason: please no links to outside company websites

Comment

Working...
            X