Another newbie needs help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another newbie needs help

I just got the Y results for my first cousin Bennett Genis. This is my first experience with Y data. None of his matches are named Genis nor do any of them share a surname. The lowest genetic distance is 2 and range up to 7 (the most matches - 6) for a total of 11 matches. His haplogroup is J-M172. Only 6 of those 11 matches list that same haplogroup so I don't understand why the others are considered Y matches. The others (in order of ascending GD) are J-L70, J-L25, J-BY268 and J-PF5456.

A 6 GD match is named Kessler. We believe our grandmother's maiden name was Kesler. but there shouldn't be a Y connection there.

What is the significance of the terminal SNP? Only two of his matches show M172 for terminal SNP. The rest are either blank (all J-M172 haplogroup matches) or match the dash part of that person's haplogroup.

Here is the TiP report for his GD 3 match:

COMPARISON CHART
    Generations Percentage
    4 46.09%
    8 85.36%
    12 97.03%
    16 99.48%
    20 99.92%
    24 99.99%

There were two links in the message I received from FTDNA saying that the results were available. One listing a User's Guide and the other to "Y-DNA Understanding STR Results" but both links took me to what looks like a home page for a Beta version of the Learning Center and I don't know how to get to the actual documents.

In short - HELP! (and thanks in advance)

June Genis

Every yDNA test receives a basic predicted Haplogroup assignment based on the first 12 markers, if FTDNA can not confidently predict they run a free backbone test.

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...nce-program-2/

In your case matches would have all been predicted as J-M172, but they have purchased further SNP testing to place them further into the J-M172 haplogroup subclade.

If you go to kits haplotree page and follow the following you will see they all belong on the same subclade branch of M172

L25 is a deeper subclade branch of J-M172
    L70 is a deeper subclade branch of L25
    PF5456 is a deeper subclade branch of L70
    BY268 is a deeper subclade branch of PF5456

It is most likely your final current subclade placement if you did additional SNP testing would be J-BY268

You should have kit join their appropriate Haplogroup project and ask the admins advice and see how they are place amongst the results.
    Last edited by prairielad; 17 January 2016, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Another newbie needs help

Thanks, Prairielad. I joined Bennett to the J project and the initial projection from the administrator agrees with yours.

June

Comment

Working...
      X