Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Haplogroup E3b (M35) - Descended from the Khazars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haplogroup E3b (M35) - Descended from the Khazars?

Hello,

Just learned from Nat. Geo that I am E3b (M35).

My father's family came from the area of Europe (Russia) that bordered Asia.

He and his mother had distinct oriental features (as do I but to a lesser extent).

Are we descended from the Khazars?

Any insight into that question, the possible background of our oriental features, and any other info about E3b (M35) genes from that area, would be very appreciated.

Steve

Somebody with more knowledge than I should answer your question since I am a relative newbie, but from what I understand, E3b originated in the Middle East; Q is the Haplogroup that is likely to be from the Khazars.
    Judy

Comment

Originally posted by sbs
      Hello,

Just learned from Nat. Geo that I am E3b (M35).

My father's family came from the area of Europe (Russia) that bordered Asia.

He and his mother had distinct oriental features (as do I but to a lesser extent).

Are we descended from the Khazars?

Any insight into that question, the possible background of our oriental features, and any other info about E3b (M35) genes from that area, would be very appreciated.

Steve
      Some interesting links:

http://www.jogg.info/11/coffman.pdf

http://www.ebc.ee/tymri00/PhD/2004/SRootsi_thesis.pdf

http://hpgl.stanford.edu/publication...4_p127-148.pdf

Comment

I just discovered my '3Eb'ness from the Genographic Project a couple of weeks ago. All sorts of new questions popped into my mind. As someone who looks Nordic and having been adopted by Nordic parents, I expected to have North Sea rather than Mediterranian show up in the "your journey" map with the arrows.

A few days ago I sent in for "deeper" tests. Hopefully I won't end up with an enigma within an enigma.

If anything, the last fortnight has been a great re-education in history, biology, theology and sociology.

Have you joined the E3b Family Website Project?

Comment

Originally posted by Marttinen
          As someone who looks Nordic and having been adopted by Nordic parents, I expected to have North Sea rather than Mediterranian show up in the "your journey" map with the arrows.
          Migration seems to lead us E3b:s to all corners of the world. I live in Scandinavia although my father is mexican. Your name sounds very finnish. Puhutko Suomea, do you speak finnish?

If anything, the last fortnight has been a great re-education in history, biology, theology and sociology.
          I agree, this is what makes DNA-forum so interesting, even more interesting than to find some ancient forefather some thousands years ago. According to E3b project you actually should share some long distance (3 step mutation) forefather with me.

Regards, Leo

Comment

E3B and the Khazars

The Khazars came way, way after E3b came into existence. Because you are E3b it does not necessarily follow that you are a descendent of someone who was a Khazar at one time. E3b is relatively common in Central Europe and, suprisingly, a relatively large percentage of Sammi in Russia are E3b.

Comment

I just discovered my '3Eb'ness from the Genographic Project a couple of weeks ago. All sorts of new questions popped into my mind. As someone who looks Nordic and having been adopted by Nordic parents, I expected to have North Sea rather than Mediterranian show up in the "your journey" map with the arrows.

A few days ago I sent in for "deeper" tests. Hopefully I won't end up with an enigma within an enigma.

Have you joined the E3b Family Website Project?

There are many Nordic E3b's. That's because the non-recombining Y is only one indicator....a track left by your ancestors. But, I suspect E3b's may have had "Nordic" physical characteristics from early on.

Comment

Leo,

Yes, my father is Finnish and my mother is Estonian, but they never taught me the language. I was adopted but you'd never know it--I lots of comments about my children looking a lot like my dad. By the way, my dad's name is Leo also, although most of his brothers and sisters have more "ethnic" Finninsh names.

Rossi,

Thanks for the information and further clues about E3b. Your last comment about "Nordic" characteristics from early on intregued me. Somehow it made a connection with me to something I read years ago about the physical characteristics of some of Egypt's mummies--some were blond or red-haired. But maybe it had to do with their aging through the centuries makeing hair lighter through some chemical process.

Comment

Originally posted by sbs
                  Just learned from Nat. Geo that I am E3b (M35). My father's family came from the area of Europe (Russia) that bordered Asia. He and his mother had distinct oriental features (as do I but to a lesser extent). Are we descended from the Khazars?
                  As the other contributors correctly noted, the Y-DNA haplogroup E3b has no connection to the original Khazars, but rather to the Middle East and North Africa.

What you said is that your father's mother passed on the oriental features to your father. Therefore you're not really dealing with the pure paternal line of descent when you try to answer that question.

If it is any consequence, I should mention that I too belong to E3b and am Ashkenazic and also have a situation like yours regarding "oriental features" in that branch, but from what I have been able to determine, they would have been contributed by an unknown woman who married my great-great-grandfather, and not from an Asian person directly in the paternal line.

You will be able to read many details about genetic studies and how they relate to the Khazar question in the 2nd edition of my book "The Jews of Khazaria", to be published around this October by Rowman & Littlefield.

Comment

Originally posted by khazaria
                    You will be able to read many details about genetic studies and how they relate to the Khazar question in the 2nd edition of my book "The Jews of Khazaria", to be published around this October by Rowman & Littlefield.
                    Thanks for the info. That book will be on my definate buy list.
                    Are there any specific markers to look for that can be associated with Khazar origins?

Comment

Originally posted by Villicus
                      Are there any specific markers to look for that can be associated with Khazar origins?
                      I have to agree with those who say that Q-P36, P-M45, and R1a1 are possible indicators of Khazar descent. However, it is not proven that this is the case.

To my knowledge, no DNA from Khazar bones has yet been extracted. But I always wonder if some Khazars had Q-P36, P-M45, and/or R1a1.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossi
                        The Khazars came way, way after E3b came into existence. Because you are E3b it does not necessarily follow that you are a descendent of someone who was a Khazar at one time. E3b is relatively common in Central Europe and, suprisingly, a relatively large percentage of Sammi in Russia are E3b.

The Khazars were part of the people who crossed the mts from assyria and were known as kumri. excelent fighters archers and horsemen

Comment

Working...
                        X