• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K. Campbell
    replied
    Comparing with Other Surnames

Jeff,

You are getting answers about how to do this mechancally, but see this trhread about "Why" you should want to compare against other surnames.

http://www.familytreedna.com/forum/s...ght=rethinking

Leave a comment:

• lgmayka
    replied
    Originally posted by efgen
    You will also see a Y-DNA Matches tab. When you click on that, you will now get a list of *EVERYONE* in the FTDNA database who you match (with some small caveats, like release forms not being signed or people blocking 12-marker matches). You will hopefully have some Pierce matches since that is what I assume you want to find matches to, but if there are any Clarks who also match you, they will also be listed on that page.
    Actually, I don't think this is true unless those Clarks have themselves chosen to see matches beyond their project. Essentially, you don't see them unless they have chosen to see you too. Right?

Leave a comment:

• efgen
    replied
    Jeff,

The bottom line answer to your question is that you don't need to be in ANY project to compare your DNA results to other people's DNA results. Here's how to make sure you are compared to Pierce, Clark, or any other name in Family Tree DNA's database:

When your DNA test is done, you will see a Setup Preferences tab on your myFTDNA page. Under Setup Preferences, you will have an option to compare your DNA to people in your surname project only, or to compare your DNA to FTDNA's entire database of DNA results. You'll want to compare to FTDNA's entire database.

You will also see a Y-DNA Matches tab. When you click on that, you will now get a list of *EVERYONE* in the FTDNA database who you match (with some small caveats, like release forms not being signed or people blocking 12-marker matches). You will hopefully have some Pierce matches since that is what I assume you want to find matches to, but if there are any Clarks who also match you, they will also be listed on that page. You can actually expect to have 12-marker matches with many people of many different surnames, unless you have a rare DNA signature and have fewer matches.

Surname projects exist to allow for easier comparison and sharing of DNA results for people who share a surname. However, the members of each surname project are subsets of the entire FTDNA database and you don't need to limit yourself to being compared to only that subset. There are a myriad of reasons why you might have matching DNA with someone of a different surname, so it's best to keep an open mind and allow yourself the widest comparison possible.

In addition, as Bill mentioned, you can upload your DNA results to Ysearch (http://www.ysearch.org) once you get them, then compare yourself to everyone in the Ysearch database. Most of those people will be the same people who you were already compared to at FTDNA, but there are also plenty of people in Ysearch who tested with different DNA companies and therefore you may find matches not available in the FTDNA database.

Leave a comment:

• jablair
    replied
    Originally posted by Rex
    As a project administrator we encourage each individual to participate fully in the project. We need pedigree information and many will not provide that info. We send emails to some project members and they don’t respond.
    Ronald Cason
    Cason surname project administrator.
    Hi Ronald,

In order to join the Blair DNA Project an applicant must submit a pedigree chart and agree to let me post his kit#, Y-DNA test results, and his oldest known ancestor. If he does not agree to this he is not allowed to join.

In addition, after the they receive their test results participants are encourged to provide contact information (name, email address, mailing adress) and to allow me to post their full pedigree chart (minus living ancestors). The participant has the choice of providing just what information he wants posted.

I control who can join the project. Applicants must submit an applicant and pedigree chart and then I provide the information to FTDNA. No one can join directly through FTDNA.

I have my own website I use for the project, http://blairgenealogy.com/dna/ where I explain the project and the requirements, provide a fillable application and pedigree chart, and post the results and analysis of the results.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Project administrators do not hide any information from others. It is the individual that makes the determination as to what information they wish to make public. See your personal pages. You either set your results to the project only or open to the entire FTDNA data base. As a project administrator we encourage each individual to participate fully in the project. We need pedigree information and many will not provide that info. We send emails to some project members and they don’t respond.
    We have the ability to see the information provide by the individual to FTDNA. That’s their names, email address, home address and phone numbers. We don’t give that information out. We must respect the individual as to which information they wish to make public. In my project website there is a place to see the FTDNA test results with Kit numbers, no names. There is a private area for surname projects members only. This area contains the person’s full names, email address, pedigree charts etc. If anyone uploads there Y-DNA and pedigree to Y-search that is again up to the individual. Please note that a project administrator doesn’t change an individual’s personal page setup. That’s their responsibility.
    The only private results are those persons that would not sign a release form to FTDNA to make their results public. Therefore no one but that individual will see those results. Otherwise there are no set rules on setting up a project other than common sense.
    Ronald Cason
    Cason surname project administrator.
    I encourage everyone to open up their results to the FTDNA data base, Y-search, Y-base and others.
    PS If anyone finds a match or near match to their results and need to contact that person that doesn’t have an email address, than contact their surname project administrator and they will relay the information to the correct party.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Jeff, do you mean that your DNA results as a Pierce matched Clark results?

That is what has happened to my Pierces (my cousin took the test). We matched a Clark , but did not match any other Pierce. It was quite a surprise because the paper trail pointed to a sibling for my Pierce yet the results had at least 5 mismatches on the 25 marker test. Also the most likely family line does not come close.

I would really like to know more about your Pierce family.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Hurst
    replied
    Originally posted by lgmayka
    Correct me if I'm wrong:

My understanding is that the coordinator of a surname project has the option of whether to allow others (outside the project) to see matches within the group. Thus, someone who might be either a Pierce or a Clark, and who joins the Pierce project, will only see Clark matches if the coordinator of the Clark project has allowed it.

In the worst case, I suppose, one might have to un-join the Pierce project and then join the Clark project in order to see such matches. Right?
    It's a very complicated system and I don't understand it completely. I do think that a group administrator can set the whole project to PRIVATE, but I don't know why anybody would do that and I don't know if it's done. First thing to check is your Setup Preferences tab. You have a lot of control there. The manager can also limit the e-mail notifications; I'm sure that's done a lot for 12-marker matches. Our Hurst project has no such limits, but we have relatively rare haplotypes so nobody gets too many e-mails.

If you are a Pierce and try to join the Hurst project to see our matches, you would quickly get un-joined. If you think the Clark project is hiding matches, e-mail their manager. If that doesn't work, e-mail FTDNA.

Bill Hurst

Leave a comment:

• lgmayka
    replied
    Correct me if I'm wrong:

My understanding is that the coordinator of a surname project has the option of whether to allow others (outside the project) to see matches within the group. Thus, someone who might be either a Pierce or a Clark, and who joins the Pierce project, will only see Clark matches if the coordinator of the Clark project has allowed it.

In the worst case, I suppose, one might have to un-join the Pierce project and then join the Clark project in order to see such matches. Right?

Leave a comment:

• Bill Hurst
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Pierce
    Bill,

Forgive my ignorance. DNA Genealogy is new to me. I'm waiting on results, so right now I'm looking @ options on other surname projects. Could you or someone enlighten this Alice in Wonderland (me) on MitoSearch. Also do I receive notices from other DNA surname projects automatically, or do I send them my results for comparison? Thanks, I appreciate your patience.
    Jeff, first of all, for Y-DNA I meant Ysearch, not MitoSearch, which is for mtDNA results. To upload your results to Ysearch, go to your FTDNA personal page, click on the Y-DNA Matches tab, then click "Click here to upload to Ysearch." Oh, if you don't have results yet, wait until you do. You can go to Ysearch.org and see what I'm talking about.

You should receive notification of matches automatically when your results come in, although you might not get all the 12-marker matches. Some block those.

Bill Hurst

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    What is MITOSEARCH and how do I get there?

Bill,

Forgive my ignorance. DNA Genealogy is new to me. I'm waiting on results, so right now I'm looking @ options on other surname projects. Could you or someone enlighten this Alice in Wonderland (me) on MitoSearch. Also do I receive notices from other DNA surname projects automatically, or do I send them my results for comparison? Thanks, I appreciate your patience.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Hurst
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Pierce
    Can the results from this DNA testing be compared to other family DNA testing, or do I need to retest under each individual Family DNA name? For example: Compare my Pierce DNA test results with say Clark DNA test results?
    Thanks
    Jeff, you only have one set of DNA; you certainly don't need to test again. If you matched a Clark, you should receive a notification. You can also upload your data to MitoSearch and compare your numbers there several different ways.

Bill Hurst

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Tying Into Other Family DNA Projects

Tying Into Other Family DNA Projects

Can the results from this DNA testing be compared to other family DNA testing, or do I need to retest under each individual Family DNA name? For example: Compare my Pierce DNA test results with say Clark DNA test results?
    Thanks
Working...
X