BigY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BigY

Just received my BigY results, took less then 30 days to get the results. In terms of next steps is there an easy to read guide out there that will assist me in my further research?

Originally posted by BrentN View Post
    Just received my BigY results, took less then 30 days to get the results. In terms of next steps is there an easy to read guide out there that will assist me in my further research?
    Depends on your FTDNA assigned haplogroup. The primary effort is to get your results incorporated into the corresponding haplogroup region analysis effort.

Comment

Originally posted by BrentN View Post
      IMHO, every Big Y participant should submit his raw data (BAM file) to YFull for analysis and placement on YFull's public haplotree. (I am not affiliated with YFull except as a satisfied customer.) YFull's $49 fee is not required until analysis is substantially complete.

Here is how:
      1. Ask FTDNA to make your BAM file available, using their Contact Form. (Change Order, then Big Y BAM Request.)
      2. After about a week, log into your FTDNA account, go to your Big Y Results page, and click on the blue Download Raw Data button.
      3. In the dialog window that pops up, click on the green Share BAM button. Then, if a green Copy button appears, click on it to copy the long hyperlink to your Clipboard; otherwise, click inside the text box that appears, and hit control-c to copy the hyperlink to your Clipboard. Some browsers may not even show the Share BAM button, in which case you may have to use Chrome or Safari for this step.
      4. Paste the hyperlink into the “Link to a sharing file” on YFull’s order form. Then complete the form and submit it.
      5. YFull will send you an initial acknowledgement of the order, then (within 24 hours) a verification of the BAM file’s validity.
      6. About a month later, when the analysis is complete, YFull will ask for its $49 fee (payable via PayPal) in order to unlock your personal results. By that time, your entry should already be posted on YFull’s haplotree.

Comment

I second what lgmayka said about uploading to yfull. If you try to make sense of what you get on the Family Tree DNA page, you will likely be somewhere between confused & disappointed. Two men, both probable descendants of Bygod Eggleston (1587-1674) took the Big Y test. When the results came back, counting unshared novel variants made it look like the MRCA was separated by dozens of novel variants... so much for that, right?

Both uploaded to yfull. They belong to Q L329 & are the ONLY yfull participants in Q L329. The results came in...

The MRCA for the two, per yfull, lived 375 years ago. The mean spread was 125 to 700 years.

IMHO, yfull hit the nail on the head.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Working...
        X