No announcement yet.

Spanish average ethnicity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For any non English posts, please also include a google translation into English as others may be able to assist as well.

-Darren
    Family Tree DNA

Comment

well I practically haven´t seen any Italian last names in my matches´ trees, I think just one... the last names are Spanish, German, French and some British, in this order of proportion I´d say

Originally posted by josh w. View Post
      I don't know the answer to your Ashkenazi question. Typically they show much more resemblance to southern Europe (especially Italy) than to Germany. Some surnames are common among both Jews and Germans.

Comment

Originally posted by pablobuelga View Post
        well I practically haven´t seen any Italian last names in my matches´ trees, I think just one... the last names are Spanish, German, French and some British, in this order of proportion I´d say
        To clarify. The people who later became Ashkenazis first migrated to ancient Rome before migrating over the Alps in response to the rise of the Roman Catholic Church. (there is debate as to whether most of the migration to Roman areas was involuntary). Autosomal research suggests that there was more admixture with the ancient Romans than with more recent Germans. During their early stay in Rome, Jews actively encouraged conversions but that terminated with the rise of the Church. Modern Ashkenazis do not retain earlier Roman names but there are a few Italians who have ancient Jewish ancestry.
        By the way, many Ashkenazis do not have 'typical' Jewish surnames. The most common surnames among my FF matches are 'Miller (Muller)' and 'Friedman(n)'
        Last edited by josh w.; 5 November 2015, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X