Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracing American Indian Blood

Hi,
    I’m new to all this stuff. My brother has been doing our genealogy on both sides of our family. We have run into a brick wall on my mother’s side. He has found that we are a descendent of a man named General Morgan of the Revolutionary War. He took on an American Indian woman as a wife through tribal marriage. We don’t know what tribe she was from but have the children born between her and General Morgan.

My question: will a DNA test tell use the potential American Indian tribe? Will a DNA test give a percent of Indian blood? Any information will be very much appreciated!!

Thanks
    Bj
    [email protected]

If you have a woman in your family who is a direct female descendent of that American Indian grandmother, that descendant would have a copy of the grandmother's mitochondrial DNA that would test-out as Haplogroup A, B, C, D or X - all American Indian haplogoups. In other words, the current family member would be a daughter of a daughter of a daughter of a daughter of a daughter of a daughter of daughter of a daughter of that American Indian forbear.

Morgan and wife were about 225 years in the past or about 9 generations (using 25 years per generation) so that American Indian forbear is represented on just 1/512th of present-day family autosomal DNA - far too little to register in any biogeographical ancestry test.

Although, if just one son wanted "a girl just like the girl that married dear Old Dad" (Morgan) you could have more than one American Indian ancestor.

Tom

Comment

If your ancestor Morgan was an army general in the American Revolutionary War, either on the British or American side, I would think conventional family history search would turn-up the information you seek as to the tribal affiliation of his bride.

tom

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat View Post
        If your ancestor Morgan was an army general in the American Revolutionary War, either on the British or American side, I would think conventional family history search would turn-up the information you seek as to the tribal affiliation of his bride.

tom
        See http://www.his.jrshelby.com/morgan/morgan_d.txt

and http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....ety/world.html

Comment

Like Tomcat stated you would need to find paper of his wife listing tribe if she were AI. A mitochondrial direct mother line DNA test could prove if his wife was AI or not but DNA wont prove tribe. You need paper to prove tribe

If I got this right Squire Boone was married to your ancestor's sister??? Daniel and Squire Boone did live around the Cherokee and Catawba/Saponi in Rowan (Today Davie County) and Wilkes County NC before moving to KY. I do know some Morgan's lived in Surry NC (Wilkes County formed from Surry) but have no idea if those Morgans would be related to yours. Surry County NC is on the VA border.

Comment

Working...
          X