Total Newbie here...which test???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total Newbie here...which test???

So I was looking for someone with a similar scenario to mine and didn't see one right away, so I figure I would just post a question and see if anyone could help.

After a lot of searching I may have found my half-siblings (sisters) through our father who has passed. Neither of us knew the others existed (although I suspected there might be somebody out there). Now that they know there is the possibility they have a brother, they are very open to a DNA test to confirm the relationship.

I don't need to do a test and join a data base that does random searches in hopes of finding siblings and other relations. Not that I wouldn't find that interesting down the road, but the issue at hand is proving whether or not we are in fact half-siblings.

So, I am seeking advise. Which type test would be best for this. The two sisters are full-siblings with the same father so I am assuming I would only need to be matched with one of them?

I am not trying to do this on the cheap, but I am not wealthy, so being cost effective is also a concern. We are in different states so something that is mailed away would most likely work best.

Any help/advise would be welcome. Thanks

The autosomal test ($99) is your only option in this case since women don't carry Y DNA and your mothers are different so mtDNA can't help. You'll get a definitive answer as to whether they are immediate relatives in the autosomal test. Yes only test one of the sisters.
    Last edited by khazaria; 21 October 2015, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by khazaria View Post
      The autosomal test ($99) is your only option in this case since women don't carry Y DNA and your mothers are different so mtDNA can't help. You'll get a definitive answer as to whether they are immediate relatives in the autosomal test. Yes only test one of the sisters.
      So, like I said, I am a total nubie to this, so this may sound like a REALLY dumb question. But since I know who I am trying to match, what procedure should I use? Is there a chance that since neither of us are currently in the data base, if we both submit at the same time, could the system miss us and not show a match even if we are siblings? If so, should one of us submit a sample for testing to establish DNA in the data base and then wait for a while before the other submits his/her sample? That way there is something to match it against???

Like I said, these may be dumb questions, but I am just really unaware of how these things work and I want to be sure I am getting the best chance of the most accurate results.
      Last edited by JustTim; 2 November 2015, 02:00 AM.

Comment

not to worry

Hi, Tim,
        I don't think there is any need to worry about things being missed if you do it at the same time, or about the same time.

You can each sign up for the test from your own computers, and the tests will be delivered to you separately. You then perform the test in the privacy of your own home, slip the test into the prepared pre-paid mailing envelope and ship it off. They will most likely be worked at two different time since there's no way to be sure they arrive together.

My sister and I tested at about the same time at 23andme. My test was done slightly ahead of hers, but the moment hers was done, my close relative, labeled "sister," popped up in my matches.

A cousin and I have done Y testing here. Relatives just pop up under the heading "matches." You will recognize the name.

On the other hand, if you are not relatives, you will need to be in contact so that when you both know your results are up, if that person is not listed among your relatives, then your question will be answered.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
        X